Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to help from "The Roadie", I fixed my reverse lights by replacing the fuse. How did I figure the fuse was bad? I took a similar fuse, swapped places with the existing fuse, and the lights worked. Not to mention, the old fuse was obviously burnt just by looking at it:duh:. Well, I tried the same thing for my power windows. Took a fuse I knew that worked (right side), and swapped it for one that I thought might be blown (left side) and well what do you know, the left side worked... for a while. It took about five minutes before the good one was blown. And now, I'm left with three bad fuses, I bought one after looking for about an hour (all they had was one), believe me they are not easy to find, and no one seems to carry them, and a window thats about quarter of the way down. So there is an obvious short, and what I'm hoping is for some ideas on where to start. I plan on taking it to a shop, but before I do, I would like to try to fix it myself before they charge me an arm and a leg for wire break chasing. :hopeless: Also, immediately after installing the new one, you can hear it fizzling and popping, and it does not take long at all for it to heat up, I've already burnt my fingers.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
It could be a short in the window motor itself.. which of course then you would have to replace the unit... I have seen some on Ebay from time to time

but whatever you do, do NOT put a higher amp fuse in the location.. unless you want your truck to catch fire

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna give it a shot, and glad I did'nt.

I have a buddy who has a Multi-meter, gonna give it a shot. One thing that may be a clue is that I had removed the drivers side control panel, the one with all four switches, and left the wires hanging. When I went back to connect the wires to the control panel, as I touched the wires, the cab lights dimmed. Did I disturb the short? at the time, there was no fuse in the fuse block. I appreciate the help TallCorn.

And also, I was considering putting a higher rated fuse in the place of the original, glad I did'nt. I was also considering using a paper clip. Guess that would've just left me with a trailBLAZED. Good looking out Majestic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Lucky number 10

It sure was. Red ten. Couple things that I would like to know is, what caused it to go out, is it common for it to go out, and can I expect it to happen again? I've had to replace my right side headlight socket because it was burning up, to the point where I could'nt get a headlight in there. After I had replaced the socket, and the headlight worked, the left side headlight went out, with signs of charring on the L/S socket. Can I expect the left side to continue to burn up until I have to replace the socket for that? Thanks again for all your help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Find the driver door module (DDM) in the door. Unplug the connector with the wire from fuse #10. Test that wire to ground to see if it is shorted. If it is shorted to ground look for a short where the wires go from the body to the door. If the wire isn't shorted then there must be something wrong with the DDM. Maybe somebody else has some ideas.
I can't find much information about DDMs other than they aren't cheap, not listed on parts web sites, are vehicle specific and unless you get a used one from a vehicle with the same options a dealer has to program it for your vehicle. :bonk::bonk::bonk:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts