Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was having problems with the AC and brakes that i couldnt figure out what was wrong.. so i took it to the mechanic that i know and fixed the brakes and the condenser is leaking and needs to be replaced... thats great..

so while they had it i had them change out the thermostat since i had the coolant bottles break in the back of my truck.. well he replaces the thermostat and the water pump needed to be replaced.. i knew that was coming and since it was drained i had them do it to... they removed the alternator to do the thermostat and when he put it back on there was a problem.. the battery not charging light came on... tested the alternator and it was dead.. traced it down and he said he found that the alternator was getting back fed and blew the alternator... odd thing was he said it was teh add a fuse that i installed for the e-fan set.. so they put a new alternator on and the battery not charging light still comes on after 30 sec's or so after the engine is on... and the alternator is charging the battery... tested it multiple times and so have i... the alternator is charging but the light still comes on..

so anyone have any idea what it could be.. the alternator is part#8290A which is correct... i have since disconnected everything.. and i mean everything.. i have removed all the wiring for the roof lights, fog, bright, and grill lites all taken off... just to prevent any further issue.. only thing left attached is what is needed for the e-fans.. reconnected a different way but still working..

The End..... Or is it?????

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
that is what i was kinda thinking.. i'll have to check that out sunday... and yes it started after he put the alternator back on... never happenedbefore..,. i got the new alternator at a cheaper cost then it cost him... and free labor..,.

thanks yall

and yes i trust them.. i grew up his brother... knew his whole family since 1st grade.. and best of all.. he doesnt charge me mark up... he charges cost and labor only...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
69 Posts
alternator

It has a connector with 2 signals, red wire is GENERATOR ON SIGNAL come from PCM to Alternator, and Gray FIELD DUTY CICLE SIGNAL From Alternator to PCM, this one, tells to the PCM the state of the alt, it must betwen 5 to 100 % in GEN L in the scanner option, and the PCM via class 2 message tells to the instrument cluster panel IPC if stay on or off the charge light indicator, So I think you must review the continuity between that line in the connector to pin 51 C2 in the PCM, if it is OK, probably the IPC is broken.

sorry for my english

Cesar Gallo
Medellin Colombia:crazy:

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
It has a connector with 2 signals, red wire is GENERATOR ON SIGNAL come from PCM to Alternator, and Gray FIELD DUTY CICLE SIGNAL From Alternator to PCM, this one, tells to the PCM the state of the alt, it must betwen 5 to 100 % in GEN L in the scanner option, and the PCM via class 2 message tells to the instrument cluster panel IPC if stay on or off the charge light indicator, So I think you must review the continuity between that line in the connector to pin 51 C2 in the PCM, if it is OK, probably the IPC is broken.

sorry for my english

Cesar Gallo
Medellin Colombia:crazy:
Hopefully you did not screw up the cluster. Like Cesar said above, Make sure the wires are all connected properly and none were broken in the removal/install process. That field duty cycle (gray wire) might be the best one to research first. :undecided

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
replaced the 2 wire connector to back of alternator... fixed...
@hatchet669 - i know this is an old thread, but in the process of troubleshooting my first issue with my trailvoy i came across this thread. can you tell me how you fixed your issue, was it just replacing the actual connector (without the wires)? i have this same exact issue. i ended up nicking the field duty cycle wire, and have been having problems charging my battery. do you know what gauge wire i would need to fix this? i am guessing i would need to rerun the new wire from the current cut to the copper connector inside the plastic connector. (sorry if my terms are not correct, im a newbie).

thanks for your help.:)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
71 Posts
@hatchet669 - i know this is an old thread, but in the process of troubleshooting my first issue with my trailvoy i came across this thread. can you tell me how you fixed your issue, was it just replacing the actual connector (without the wires)? i have this same exact issue. i ended up nicking the field duty cycle wire, and have been having problems charging my battery. do you know what gauge wire i would need to fix this? i am guessing i would need to rerun the new wire from the current cut to the copper connector inside the plastic connector. (sorry if my terms are not correct, im a newbie).

thanks for your help.:)
From reading the comments and the final fix, I'd say he replaced the connector WITH new terminals and short "pig-tail" wires, like you get from auto parts store to repair bad connectors. They usually come with short wires attached that you use a "butt" splice to connect to original wires. If you can locate the break, usually you can either butt splice or solder the wire back together and fix your problem without buying any parts, but if the connector or terminal is bad, new is better.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
From reading the comments and the final fix, I'd say he replaced the connector WITH new terminals and short "pig-tail" wires, like you get from auto parts store to repair bad connectors. They usually come with short wires attached that you use a "butt" splice to connect to original wires. If you can locate the break, usually you can either butt splice or solder the wire back together and fix your problem without buying any parts, but if the connector or terminal is bad, new is better.
@sixholdens - thanks for your reply, i bought the part, AC Delco part # PT1383 from Rock Auto. this should solve the problem i've been having for the past 2 months (i ended up temporarily fixing this by using replacing the red wire with an 18gauge wire i found in good condition). I Think this issue is very common since those two wires are very delicate. i didnt even notice i had nicked the wire until i turned on my car, and i was running on the battery..

Thank again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.