Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i printed out both throttle body cleaning instructions (from khill and ieatglue ............. forgive me if i messed up either names). I brought my 2 nephews outside with me because they were going to do all the work while i instructed them. Nayways, i only completed Step 1 (disconnect the battery terminals). After that, I could not find ANYTHING! It is different under my hood than the pics in those two instructions. ieatglue's was closer to mine, but still...

i searched all over this site and google to try to figure out what the heck a resonator looked like. i finally figured it out on my own... i think. and i can easily see the throttle body attached to it. then it took me another forever to figure out where this dang feedline was. even now, i am still unsure.

at this point, i was being told that i would "break my car" and not be able to return to MD so i had to give up and reconnect the battery (pissed that i had to totally reset all my radio settings... for nothing!)

after all that, i was still determined to figure this out so i continued searching away. then i stumble across a few threads in the envoy v8 section. some posts say that it is not necessary to clean throttle bodies in V8s. yet other posts show that folks clean it anyway.

**that being said, do i ever have to clean the throttle body in my 2007 v8 envoy denali??? it has almost 57,000 miles on it.
if NO, then no need to read further. (and i will return the throttle body cleaner tomorrow, provided i still have the receipt).

** if YES, approximately how often???

** additionally, if YES, what am i not seeing correctly under my hood.

Also, sorry for not knowing a dang thing about cars. Nothing! :(

This is the front center view of under my hood...

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

This is the left side view of the resonator (assuming this is the resonator)...

Vehicle Car Auto part Motor vehicle Engine

and these are some of the attached tubes and such...

Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Let it be stated that if i do not have to worry about cleaning it, i will be very happy and satisfied. More so than figuring out the parts under the hood. ;)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,932 Posts
There is not a set mileage amount or time amount. It's just one of those things you decide to do one day. My SS had 48 when I did mine and it was pretty dirty in there.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There is not a set mileage amount or time amount. It's just one of those things you decide to do one day. My SS had 48 when I did mine and it was pretty dirty in there.
i'm sorry, let me explain just a teeny bit further.

I ask about the mileage because i keep seeing that it should definitely be done at 50k -ish. However, it seems to be different for V8s.

As far as the actual throttle body, i can see it and that's about the only thing that i can identify for sure. i just can't identify anything else so i don't know what to unplug and take off to get to it.

EDIT: trailblazingold, am i trippin' or was there a second part to your post that is suddenly gone? (i could easily be losing my mind)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
V8's have a traditional PCV valve and that tends to keep the backside of the throttle body cleaner. I6 owners are victimized by the GM design mentality of "let's save a dime and see if they notice".

If you don't have the traditional I6 complaint of an erratic idle (300-900 RPM varying as the AC compressor engages and disengages), don't bother cleaning your throttle body.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Ive had the intake off my SS a few times in the last 2 months and my throttle body is pretty clean. Only 20k on it now, Ill probably clean it around 40k just because.

Yes having a V8 makes the throttle body procedures seem foreign, the main concepts are there but the V8s have a different intake setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts