Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '03 trailblazer LT EXT with the inline 6, loaded except for sunroof.
My wife was driving a couple of weeks back and the engine died. After pulling over it started back. That happened a couple of more times. Then when getting in to start, the gauges would go crazy, moving wildly before going normal, sometimes it would then start and sometimes not.
Now it will not start at all. The engine will not turn over, gauges move wildly, and also sometimes displays 'service brake system'. The airbag and brake lights also stay on even when the gauges go back to normal position.
Some of you are mechanics and I have read posts that say bad ignition switch. This may be my case as well, but what about the brake message?
Do any of you think this is one in the same?
I have been doing my own repairs for over 20 years and can do so if I can find the problem, I have checked all wiring as best I can, swapped batteries and cleaned posts and grounds and reseated and checked fuses.
Any help from you guys would be appriciated, on any problem that is even close to this one to give me ideas.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
92 Posts
My '03 TB LT acted very similar and it was the ignition switch... (It was still under warranty, so I didn't troubleshoot the car myself...) If you have a voltmeter and a wiring diagram, it should be easy to see if it's the key switch.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
:iagree: ignition switch. We have a "how-to" change thread on here, try the search function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dshow, I am keeping watch for new posts, need to get repaired asap.
I have the voltmeter, but no diagram. Just removed the console and looked at the ignition switch, did not remove but wiggled it a little with no results after turning key on and off several times, even when the gauges settle down I get no start but the service brake message did not come up on these tries.
Waiting for more replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I will give the ignition switch replacement a try, I was leaning that way anyways after reading so many posts about them going bad.
No, I do not have any starter relay clicking. There is one relay that can be heard to click under the rear seat fuse/relay box when the key is turned to the 'crank' positon.
Do any of you know a good place on the web to buy a relay, ebay is a given, but if someone knows a quality site please let me know.
Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. I had not yet checked to see if it is a part avalible or a dealer only item. I will check wth my parts store.
If anyone else has had a similar problem and found the fix please reply, I am still watching the posts for new info. (even though it seems that the switch is the likely problem).
Also the link you sent roadie was great info. Great job to the guy who posted that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solved!

Installed new ignition switch today and it fired right up, no problems. Thanks to all of you who gave your opinion, the info on getting the gears on the switch right was very helpful because the new one was not in the same position, I got it right first try.
For future refference with others that may have this problem, he is a list of the symptoms I had caused by that switch,
* Engine shut off while driving, after pulling to side of road it started back.
* Gauge cluster needles go crazy when key inserted to on position.
* Chimes would not sound after key turned to on position.
* Starter relay and starter would not activate, ( would not crank ).
* With key in on position after trying to crank, no chimes, seatbelt light on, airbag light blinking.
* Displayed "service brake system" message a couple of times.
* Gearshift park locking relay would not release when brake petal depressed.
* All other electrical functioned properly, lights, windows, radio, a/c, seats...

This appeared to be a ground or short condition to me, but was caused by a bad ignition switch, ( Advanced Auto Parts lists it as a 'Igniton starter switch' ) so again thanks for all the help from you guys.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
9 Posts
my problems were a bit different. abs light, parking brake light, airbag light and service 4wd light. When all those lights come on simultaneously, it flashes unknown driver across the DIC. i get no errors when hooking it up to a diagnostic. But that is only mechanical issues right? not electrical. So today i replaced the ignition switch like everyone, including my mechanic, suggested. Still does the same thing. Gears are right. key turns, engine fires and it runs and drives. Has never died on me, just crazy guages and the above mentioned dash problems. Any new Ideas on what it could be? Would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
2 Posts
DIC (and other) issues.

my problems were a bit different. abs light, parking brake light, airbag light and service 4wd light. When all those lights come on simultaneously, it flashes unknown driver across the DIC. i get no errors when hooking it up to a diagnostic. But that is only mechanical issues right? not electrical. So today i replaced the ignition switch like everyone, including my mechanic, suggested. Still does the same thing. Gears are right. key turns, engine fires and it runs and drives. Has never died on me, just crazy guages and the above mentioned dash problems. Any new Ideas on what it could be? Would be greatly appreciated!!
New to this, and found a thread that detailed this issues, but was closed I am having the same issues; DIC goes crazy, lights on and off, chime ringing all the time, presently have no brake lights now except for the light bar on the back, ended up replacing the air ride components - switched them to springs - because I would go out to the truck come mornings and it would be sunken down like a low rider! My mechanic said that it could be moisture getting in under the cover for the fuse box. Does anyone have any actual solutions? Anyone gotten this fixed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trailblazer/Envoy Electrical Issues! HELP!

I am hoping you can help me...I have a 2004 Buick Rainier (Trailblazer/Envoy clone) and I am having the same problems you are having, including flashing abs, brake, airbag, 4x4 and driver 1 lights and the chime dinging at random times. I was about to replace the ignition switch....but after reading some posts, I think that's a waste of time. Did you ever find out what the problems was???? Please help!!! -Jeff

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That is where I would start. I am not sure where you read it was a waste of time. They are notorious for failing and causing symptoms like that. Especially if it is failing to start at times also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having this exact same issue. I've never had a problem with starting or anything else other than what is listed exactly above. I've read 3 other threads with identical issues and all three stated that changing the ignition switch didn't solve the problem with the flashing ABS, Brake, 4x4, Airbag Lights and Driver Message on the DIC. I ordered a new switch and plan to install it this afternoon...for $35 bucks its good piece of mind...but I don't expect it to solve the problems I am having.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replaced Ignition Switch....Still all the problems persist.

So I followed the tips given to me that all pointed to a bad ignition switch. I replaced the ignition switch with ACDELCO GM PART# 15242754 and there is no change. The ABS Light, Brake Light, Service 4WD Light, Airbag Light and Driver 1 or Driver Unknown still flash on the DIC. So what to do next? Help!!!!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
438 Posts
So I followed the tips given to me that all pointed to a bad ignition switch. I replaced the ignition switch with ACDELCO GM PART# 15242754 and there is no change. The ABS Light, Brake Light, Service 4WD Light, Airbag Light and Driver 1 or Driver Unknown still flash on the DIC. So what to do next? Help!!!!!
Trade it in...quick!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Electrical Problems Continue...

Still not able to find the problem. Mechanic has been troubleshooting and has not found any ground problems or issues. He is completely stumped. My next visit will be to my local Chevy dealer service dept to have them plug their Tech II in and try to find the problem. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
79 Posts
My TB (04) has the same issue!!! Any updates?

Most likely not related to Ign Switch because I don't have any problems with starting the truck or stalling. My only issues are with the DIC and dash guages and lights coming on/off.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
crazy gauges

I am having the exact problems. Have already replaced ignition switch. Did you solve the problem?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts