Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says im new to the whole droppingthe tb mod. ive been searching but no luck i saw a thread about cutting the groove to drop the front lower. http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=26734 does te whole spring need to come out while doing this? wheres the clip that holds it into place? any pics and info would be helpfull!!

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
your options are there...do it the proper way...you can either go with a Ground Force Drop(1.3F/3R) or the BellTech(2F/3R) or the DJM(2F/4R) since you are only 2wd IMO I would go with the DJM as the stance and look of the ride looks much better.....its all up to you.......but like I said....if you are going to drop it i would recommend doing it the proper way as it may cause problems in the long run...good luck!!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,140 Posts
:iagree: you have a couple of choices, it depends on your budget and how low you want to go.

i would suggest you buy a lowering kit instead of cutting the springs.

do it the right way the first time :yes:

btw, a belltech 2/3" pic

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been down that road; let me summarize a few things for you. Point #1: if you lower the ride height, you lose wheel travel (period). That means you are going to hit the bump stops when you wouldn't have before, unless you increase the spring rate. If the drop is modest, this may not be a big problem to you. You can also trim the bumps stops (take them out and trim off the big end, not the bottom - you need the gentle transition), but you might have problems with tires hitting other things that they shouldn't.
Ok, now for the alternatives. At the back you have air springs or coil springs. If you have coil springs, the only realistic alternative is to buy lowering springs and change them out. Hopefully your supplier will have designed in an increased spring rate, but nobody will tell you how much. If you have air suspension you can adjust the height sensors to get a lower neutral point. This also has the effect of increasing the spring rate somewhat, which is a good thing. This will work OK for 1-2" of drop, maybe a bit more. Otherwise, your choice is to throw away the air springs and insert coil springs, subject to the comments above.
At the front, life is a bit more complicated. The straightforward approach is to change out the springs with new ones having an appropriate combination of height and rate. There are several alternatives available. You can also change out suspension components that interact with the springs to change the ride height. One way is to change control arms. I don't know much about this approach, so I'll let others comment. You will also notice that the front strut is a coilover setup with the lower spring anchor clipped to the shock body. The clip just sits in a groove machined in the shock body, so there is no reason that you can't take the whole assembly apart, put the shock in a lathe and machine a new groove wherever you want it. This is a pretty quick way to do it and often used for show cars. Notice that both of these approaches lower the ride height without changing the spring rate, so may cause problems. At the end of the day, if you want more than an inch or so of drop, you are looking at new springs. Speaking of which, cutting springs is a valid approach, but has a poor reputation. I'm not sure that this is deserved. I replaced my stock springs with SS springs to get about a 1" drop. When I put the two springs side by side I noticed that they had the same wire diameter and same coil spacing. The only difference was the SS springs had about 7/8 of a coil missing. If I were doing it again, I wouldn't be shy about cutting a coil off (the top) instead of buying new ones. If you live in the rust belt, you might not want to lose the powder coating on the end, but that's a minor point.
So, the first thing to decide is how much drop you want. That and the type of driving you do will make the basic decisions for you. Then you need to think about whether or not you need to change the shocks. I think the stock shocks are OK for an inch or two of drop, but I know that some shocks are designed around a specific ride height (soft for the first few millimeters either way, then harder). The greater the drop, the more likely you are to want new shocks to go with it. Doing a search here will turn up a bunch of alternatives. Just one more thing to think about!
Good luck and let us know what you go with!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
44 Posts
I have the belltech kit on mine, that I installed before I found this forum. I am now wanting to go with markmc's lift kit, however I no longer have my stock springs. If you are interested I would consider swapping you for your stock springs. The downside is you would have to be without a ride while the springs are being shipped. Just another idea for you to consider. Not sure about shipping cost.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i got the belltech kit 2/3 but know im worried if i should install it since its a famiy ride. havent gotten any wheels yet still rollin stock. but is it worth the trouble. i want to install 22s or 24s. any opinions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts