Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad's 2003 Envoy has been over heating for a while, but about 2 weeks ago the oil pressure gauge was going low, so he took it to a mechanic, who changed the oil pressure sensor, but when he did, the oil pressure dropped to 0 and stayed there. So he had him change it back, and it's still at 0 and doesn't move.
He then recommended we change the entire engine unit, which I thought was ridiculous.
There isn't any strange noises coming from the engine, and I checked the gauge itself and it seems to be fine.

I really don't know much about cars, but I'm willing to put in the effort.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
So my dad's 2003 Envoy has been over heating for a while, but about 2 weeks ago the oil pressure gauge was going low, so he took it to a mechanic, who changed the oil pressure sensor, but when he did, the oil pressure dropped to 0 and stayed there. So he had him change it back, and it's still at 0 and doesn't move.
He then recommended we change the entire engine unit, which I thought was ridiculous.
There isn't any strange noises coming from the engine, and I checked the gauge itself and it seems to be fine.

hi,

and welcome.

does your truck have any other symptoms? check engine light? poor performance?

gauge at zero, could be your stepper motor in your gauge cluster that is failing, common issue in older envoys, 2003-2004

you need to check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauche, borrow one from autozone or a similar place. to see if its a instrumentation issue or an engine issue.

but definitely take it to another mechanic and get a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
10 Posts
You didn't indicate which engine your dad's Envoy.
The 4.2 L6 pressure sensor is an on-off switch set to a given pressure, with the computer adjusting the oil pressure gauge based on the engine RPM.
The V8 has a true pressure sensor which the computer uses to drive the gauge.
If the old switch has oil past the seal, it's leaking and needs to be replaced. If the gauge worked before, and doesn't now, I would check the connector to ensure it is on correctly, and that the wires were not damaged. The sensor is somewhat easy to reach from the bottom on the L6, but I would have to check where it is on the V8.
I would also check to ensure the new sensor is the correct one, in case it caused an issue with the computer.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
627 Posts

If check the oil pressure with a pressure gauge you will know in the engine has pressure or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.