Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey so i was driving down the road acouple of days ago engine light came on then a few mins latter the gaure light came on and the oil gauge was on zero i pulled over checked the oil made sure i wasnt leaking any fluid witch both where good! so i went over to autozone and checked it it said it was the oil pressor sensor but they didnt have one for it. is that something i can change? or would i be better of taking it to the shop?

any help would be great

thanks mike

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Hmmm, I have an 05 as well, and I am having the same problem.
The check gauge light comes on and oil pressure at 0. As I look at (less than a sec), it climbs to normal. It's happened about 3 times in a month. The oil level is fine, I assumed a loose connection or a bad sending unit. Perhaps, you've answered my dilemma. I'll look at the repair manual to see what's involved with changing it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you need to ask...

>snip< so i went over to autozone and checked it it said it was the oil pressor sensor but they didnt have one for it. is that something i can change? or would i be better of taking it to the shop? >snip<
If you need to ask, you are probably better off taking your truck to a shop.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Ok Mike, here's the poop. If you can change the oil filter, you can change the sending unit.
The sending unit is screwed into the casting above the oil filter. Unplug the connector, back out the sender and replace. That easy.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Um, are you sure about the location? MIJEN05 lists a 5.3 V8. I can find the location for our I6 but, i couldn't find it for the V8. Unless I missed something.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
That sounds right. I looked in my '02 Helm manual but couldn't find a listing for the 5.3 oil sending unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the respons guys! i noticed that your calling it a sender not a sensor is that right? ( maybe thats why couldnt find anything on it :confused:
i'll try sender see what i can find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so ive been looking around i found an oil sensor but from what i can tell its for the oil level and when i search for sendor theres not much on that! does anyone know where the best place to get the part? i havent had time to run over to the local parts store. butits been going on for a couple weeks :suicide:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Um, are you sure about the location? MIJEN05 lists a 5.3 V8. I can find the location for our I6 but, i couldn't find it for the V8. Unless I missed something.
Sorry, missed the v8 part.
I can not find it either, looked all over the web. Vague reference to it being located on the front top, driver's side.

thanks for the respons guys! i noticed that your calling it a sender not a sensor is that right? ( maybe thats why couldnt find anything on it :confused:
i'll try sender see what i can find.
Yep, it's a sending unit........it sends pressure info to a receiving device.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well if anyone knows where i can find the oil sender maybe even a part #?

do you think its safe to drive or will i damage something by driving? any input would be great! :thx

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
OK. This is what I've found in the 2003 Helms Service Manual: It is called an Oil Pressure Sensor (15 ft. lbs of torque) and it looks like it is on the top rear drivers side behind the intake manifold. It's hard to tell for sure. It is an exploded drawing not a picture. Hope this helps. As for finding one, I would think, any major auto parts store or on-line. Unless it is a dealer only part. I did find this but, I'm not sure if it is the same part. http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=417&PTSet=A

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i called auto parts guy the parts about $45 bucks! he says it wont hurt it to driv it like it is. but ordered the part hopefuly can get it installed this weeked! keep you posted

P.S. wish me luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
8 Posts
Same Thing

I am having the same issue on a 2005 Trailblazer, 5.3l EXT. I can drive awhile (1 or 2 miles) with oil pressure and then it goes down to zero. Once at zero gauge light comes on then check engine light will follow. We have a service man here at my place of work that hooked it up to a scanner. No codes where shown on his scanner but the light was on. I have driven it quite a bit (more than enough to know it has oil in it) but, it is still un-nerving to drive it like this. I think the sensor is on the top driver side can someone confirm this? Also I have been told you need a special socket to get it out is this true? Either way I was hoping someone has had this issue and has fixed it.:crazy:

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
here you go guys all about oil P sensr

here is a DOC and pic,s about oil p senros and how to replace it i hope its usefull

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
my cusin had caprice 2004 5.7L holden hs oil p sensor circet was high and the engine was shaking alot and no power we change it for about 60 $ and every thing back in track

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
8 Posts
Many thanks ltdakheel. I drove it more this weekend and no dropping of pressure at all. I unplugged the battery for a bout an hour and reset the engine light. Drove to work today with no problems I will see what happens from here. That is a good .doc though, thanks. When they say remove intake manifold that sounds in depth.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
removing the intake manifold take time if you want the instruction i can post here but dont do it your self unless you hvae good tools and hands , let me know whats happens

good luck

1 - 20 of 36 Posts