Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys. I have to drop my oil pan to see if the oil pickup tube is clogged. This video shows that it can be done without removing the front differential, but his 2013 Yukon XL underneath looks a bit different from my 2004 Envoy XUV (should be same as XL up front). Confirming that, the Haynes manual says that the front diff carrier simply needs to be unbolted and lowered. However, it then refers me to the section for removing the front diff. Has anyone on the Forum does this (ie, dropped oil pan)? I would especially like to know if all the extra steps in the Haynes manual have to be done, which are not done in the video. These include: 1) disconnecting stabilizer bar links, 2) disconnecting steering knuckle from upper control arm, 3) detaching shock module from lower control arm, 4) pulling CV joints out of the front diff, 5) removing the steering gear! I sure hope it's not that involved!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an update to my own post, but then there are additional questions. The method shown in the video won't work, because that front diff is outside the oil pan. The one on the '04s (and I assume all '02s through '09s) goes through the oil pan, as can be seen here. So I will obviously have to pull the left and right driveaxles out. I guess that doesn't scare me too much since I have previously had to do that for the driver side when I replaced the steering rack. Now to my question: does anyone know if I have to remove the intermediate shaft and bearing housing, or can that come down with the oil pan?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I finally found the CORRECT video for doing this job. Anyone doing this task can find it here. So far I've got it about halfway undone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts