Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I got my 2005 Envoy 4.2L 3 days ago. I notice when I start the engine the oil light stays on for about 10 seconds. Is this normal, the SUV has 43,000 miles, and I'll do my first tune up this weekend, thanks for your help, Eliezer from Puerto Rico

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat Try resetting your Oil Life Monitor. There are instructions in the owners manual. Make sure there is the correct oil level. Also watch the oil gauge when you start. If the needle on the gauge is showing the correct pressure, you should be OK.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
sounds like you dont use your oil life monitor- OLM. You simply need to reset it- it you dont follow it.
How often do you change your oil?

By following the OLM- and depending on how you drive-- its possible to go 10-12,000 miles on the oil before needing it changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil light

HI, thanks for your info, the oil preasure its OK, a litle bit over half range, and I'll make the first oil change this weekend, since I got the Envoy just this week. I read in the manual about the oil life monitor thing, I'll try it when I change the oil, its says omething about pressing the uel pedal with the ignition in on position while in park, anyway thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
376 Posts
The light staying on for 10 seconds is the beginning signs that you need an oil change. The light will eventually stay on longer, then won't go off at all (while truck is running) until it is reset. So change your oil as planned, then reset the monitor as outlined in the OM.

And enjoy the new ride!

BK

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Agreed. But if the gauge is showing 0 with no CEL, something is wrong. If the gauge is up with no CEL, there is probably oil pressure. Once the oil is changed and the OLM is reset, as long as the light goes out, he should be OK.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Agreed. But if the gauge is showing 0 with no CEL, something is wrong. If the gauge is up with no CEL, there is probably oil pressure. Once the oil is changed and the OLM is reset, as long as the light goes out, he should be OK.
I guess I can agree. The problem is, people tend to believe the gauge and think "Well it states I have 40 psi so I should be okay".

From what I've found it only takes about 12 - 14 psi to close the switch. So when your gauge is showing 40 or above, it really only means you have AT LEAST 12 - 14 psi of oil pressure.

I just don't want people to do like someone did in the other post. He ran their engine low on oil (I believe it was about 6 quarts low) and their "pressure gauge" stayed the same as it normally did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts