Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Oil Light is on and I don't know why.

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TB-Al 
#1 ·
I have an 06 TB and the other day as I was driving to work my engine oil light came on and I noticed that the pressure gauge was not working. I stopped and checked the oil which was a little bit low, but I could also see that the pump was working. I put about a quart in and continued onto work. That same day I replaced the pressure sensor and did a full oil change. Once again, I could physically see that fresh oil was being pumped up into the cylinder head, but the light was still on and the gauge was not working.

Subsequently I also had to fix a leaking tranny line and replace fluid the following day. After topping off the trans fluid the gauge started working, but the light is still on. If I'm not mistaken there is no level sensor for the oil on this vehicle, so what else could be causing that light to stay on? I would like to avoid replacing the pump if I don't have to. The gauge is reading right where it should and works fine, moving up and down as necessary while accelerating or at idle.

#2 ·
So on a hunch you bought a pressure switch and that didn't solve the problem. Get a $20 code reader and read the codes. May be something entirely different or just need to be reset. And if a $20 Wal-Mart code reader is too expensive for a tool you will use for probably the rest of your life, most auto parts stores will read codes for free. Or keep throwing money at it until you finally discover what the computer would tell you.

Sorry to sound so mean. That is not my intention. But these are not 1940 cars that just took some glue and bailing wire to fix. They have computers that will tell you almost exactly what is wrong and the reader is VERY inexpensive. It is very easy to save the cost of a reader on every repair you do. There are many easily fixable problems that will light the CEL and throwing parts at the problem should not be the first response.:thumbsup::grouphug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.