Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i replace the spark plugs on my 03 trailblazer 6cyl the other day and 4 of the six had some oil on the outside part of the spark plug - seemed to be pooled in the hole around the spark plug. does this mean i need a new valve cover gasket? if so, the chilton book says i have to remove the a/c line that crosses the front of the motor - any way to change the gasket without having to tear into the a/c system?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
47 Posts
Without looking at mine again I don't know how a leaky valve cover gasket would put oil on your spark plug. A V-8 yes but a inline 6 any gaskets would be below the plug. I would check all hoses. If you can not find anything clean it real good and drive it for a day and see what you find. It may have been just a fluke.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Without looking at mine again I don't know how a leaky valve cover gasket would put oil on your spark plug. A V-8 yes but a inline 6 any gaskets would be below the plug. I would check all hoses. If you can not find anything clean it real good and drive it for a day and see what you find. It may have been just a fluke.
A worn valve cover gasket can cause oil to leak into the wholes on these engines. It's a very little amount though, not anything like hondas or mitsu's.

Not sure about the a/c system question though.. sorry

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
The oil is redundant in small amounts in the spark plug wells. It is a seepage problem and is not a pressure driven leak so it should not get any worse. I would not change anything unless I had oil spreading across the motor or pavement. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I have not noticed any oil drips on the ground or any appreciable oil consumption so I guess I will leave it alone for now. I certainly do not want to open the a/c system for something so minor.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
26 Posts
I actually started a new thread today for having oil on my plugs. It turns out that there was excessive oil seaping into the intake ports somehow. Either pvc system or bad oil ring on piston. The valve cover gasket has been changes so hopefully that solved the problem. I was losing about a quart every 1,000 miles or so

·
Registered
White 2002 Trailblazer EXT; Dark Charcoal/Green 2005 Trailblazer EXT
159 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but the OP's problem happened to my 2002 EXT as well. My problem was a stopped up PCV orifice in the engine on the driver's side under a "J" shaped hose that caused the engine to build up high crankcase pressures. I cleaned it out by slowly pouring Berryman B12 liquid down the rubber tube while the engine was warm (and not running). I haven't had a problem since!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
ANOTHER ZOMBIE TO KILL!

Oil in the spark plug wells is consistent with pressurization of the valve cover and the oil pan and the crankcase because the PCV system is not working.

Pressure in there will create stresses on systems that aren't really designed to see any pressure at all - and when it happens they fail with bad or worse results.

IOW - service the PCV system. (perhaps another video on how to do that is in order)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
DEATH TO ZOMBIES!

I am a-gonna drag another post of mine, so there's no copyright infringement .... here goes ....

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()())()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()​

Sorry for the zombie resurrection ----
but ----
I hope nobody goes into the old files for answers to their problem after they use the SEARCH tool here.
It might bring this article up and people will read it and figure it's Gospel Truth!

.... and HELLO! the info there is wrong. That brown milky "foam" is NOT normal.

It represents water (that part was true) and it is NOT normal for this or any other engine (that part is a bald faced lie).

It collects in the intake resonator from a non-working PCV.
It makes it necessary to clean the throttle body.
It shows that there's pressure in the crankcase and that will destroy the sealing integrity of the valve cover.
It will fill the sparkplug wells.
People will change the valve cover gasket and it will leak soon again.

Morte a tutti gli zombie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts