Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys...this is annoying. 2003 Envoy w 260k miles. The oil gauge is reading just fine...about in the middle. Digital read out under the odometer says "low oil pressure, stop engine" Temperature is fine, no noise coming from engine. Sensor??

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,396 Posts
Several possibilities here .... ASSUMING A 4.2 ATLAS ENGINE ....

1. Bad sending unit -- but you won't see that value ....​
2. Bad stepper motor ....​
3. The pressure really IS low .....​
4. The readout is telling you the truth - maybe.​
1a. You don't really get a true picture of the operating pressure because the computer is reporting what the oil pressure SHOULD be under otherwise perfect and normal circumstances. If you saw the TRUE pressure, you'd shut the engine off immediately.​
2a. If the little pointer you see in the gage nacelle is pointing to the wrong place - all by itself. It's lying. And broken. Test it by shutting the engine off and turn on the ignition (KOEO)... it should be at ZERO.​
3a. This is a possibility - but usually wrong unless you hear the rods trying to swap positions inside the engine.​
3b. The pressure may truly be low --- but not low enough to hurt things internally--- but it's right on the critical edge of doing so and MAY NOT make any untoward sounds until something goes ka-BOOM.​
4. THIS must be tested .... if it says so, I'd believe it until proven incorrect.​
It's a PITA to run a mechanical gauge on this engine -- but it can be done. It SHOULD be done, is more like it.​
Are you capable of performing that test?​
In case I missed it - and I'm not gonna go back and re-read your question --- what was the Year - Make - Model - Engine Size - Codes being reported for your vehicle..... ?​
There's always the possibility of a bad wire or connection -- we will hold Ding Dong School about that in future posts ... make Miss Francis proud!​
{1953 Chapter of Ding Dong School HERE}​

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
542 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
195 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Snap-On MT or MTG 2500; Snap-On Solus series or any that use Solus-style software. I think the Modis is essentially a Solus plus a digital oscilloscope in a single housing.

I have not used an OTC Genysis or Pegysis; but I'd expect they could do the gauge-needle thing.

I'd expect the "official" GM tool--the Tech 2--to do this.

Basically, any decent scan tool should be able to communicate with the instrument cluster. If the tool WON'T do this, it's under-engineered because the on-board computer was designed to function that way in combination with the scan tool.

• Love
Reactions: metalmike187

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
52 Posts
Several possibilities here .... ASSUMING A 4.2 ATLAS ENGINE ....

1. Bad sending unit -- but you won't see that value ....​
2. Bad stepper motor ....​
3. The pressure really IS low .....​
4. The readout is telling you the truth - maybe.​
1a. You don't really get a true picture of the operating pressure because the computer is reporting what the oil pressure SHOULD be under otherwise perfect and normal circumstances. If you saw the TRUE pressure, you'd shut the engine off immediately.​
2a. If the little pointer you see in the gage nacelle is pointing to the wrong place - all by itself. It's lying. And broken. Test it by shutting the engine off and turn on the ignition (KOEO)... it should be at ZERO.​
3a. This is a possibility - but usually wrong unless you hear the rods trying to swap positions inside the engine.​
3b. The pressure may truly be low --- but not low enough to hurt things internally--- but it's right on the critical edge of doing so and MAY NOT make any untoward sounds until something goes ka-BOOM.​
4. THIS must be tested .... if it says so, I'd believe it until proven incorrect.​
It's a PITA to run a mechanical gauge on this engine -- but it can be done. It SHOULD be done, is more like it.​
Are you capable of performing that test?​
In case I missed it - and I'm not gonna go back and re-read your question --- what was the Year - Make - Model - Engine Size - Codes being reported for your vehicle..... ?​
There's always the possibility of a bad wire or connection -- we will hold Ding Dong School about that in future posts ... make Miss Francis proud!​
{1953 Chapter of Ding Dong School HERE}​
Rav. You screwed this one. Look back at your text and see no space in your transition. At least 1 space from subject to subject. You have none. You know it's true and you have been given 1 chip of forgiveness for the other 30,000 correct. Take care Dude. Ray

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,396 Posts
Snap-On MT or MTG 2500; Snap-On Solus series or any that use Solus-style software. I think the Modis is essentially a Solus plus a digital oscilloscope in a single housing.

I have not used an OTC Genysis or Pegysis; but I'd expect they could do the gauge-needle thing.

I'd expect the "official" GM tool--the Tech 2--to do this.

Basically, any decent scan tool should be able to communicate with the instrument cluster. If the tool WON'T do this, it's under-engineered because the on-board computer was designed to function that way in combination with the scan tool.
The MT2500 did it!

Sooo-oooprized!

·
Registered
542 Posts
IF (big IF) the ancient Snappy '2500 has new-enough software, it does anything that the Solus Pro does for the same model year, as far as I can tell.

The newer Solus Pro (which is also obsolete now) may do it faster, and has WAY nicer graphing, and user-interface--but it doesn't seem to do "more" than the ol' Red Brick 2500 series.

So within the Snap-On range of "Professional grade" scan tools, the secret in in the software, not the scan tool body. That said...I really like the Solus Pro compared to my MTG2500. I'd probably like one of the newer versions of the Solus family--Solus Ultra, Solus Edge, or the current model Solus Legend, even more. But I'm not willing to pay that much. My 'Pro with battery, charger, a fistful of OBD1 vehicle adapters, an OBD2 adapter and a bunch of keys, and a bigass suitcase cost me $350 shipped to my door, used, from a seller on eBay. That's a good but not exceptional price, I think $450 would be more common; and there's sellers "trolling for idiots" at up to $1000.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
IF (big IF) the ancient Snappy '2500 has new-enough software, it does anything that the Solus Pro does for the same model year, as far as I can tell.

The newer Solus Pro (which is also obsolete now) may do it faster, and has WAY nicer graphing, and user-interface--but it doesn't seem to do "more" than the ol' Red Brick 2500 series.

So within the Snap-On range of "Professional grade" scan tools, the secret in in the software, not the scan tool body. That said...I really like the Solus Pro compared to my MTG2500. I'd probably like one of the newer versions of the Solus family--Solus Ultra, Solus Edge, or the current model Solus Legend, even more. But I'm not willing to pay that much. My 'Pro with battery, charger, a fistful of OBD1 vehicle adapters, an OBD2 adapter and a bunch of keys, and a bigass suitcase cost me $350 shipped to my door, used, from a seller on eBay. That's a good but not exceptional price, I think $450 would be more common; and there's sellers "trolling for idiots" at up to $1000.
What should I be looking for as far as accessories included? I'm looking through eBay for one and have no idea what I'm actually looking for.

·
Registered
542 Posts
1. The '2500 series will work on your vehicle (given appropriate software) but is REALLY out-classed by the Solus family. If you can, avoid the '2500s. The MT2500 has NO capacity for graphing sensor signals. The MTG2500 can graph any two sensor signals at a time. Graphing is very useful. The Solus Pro can graph any four sensor signals at a time, and the user interface is way better.

2. You don't HAVE to have a battery. The 2500 and the Solus family will connect to vehicle power and work off of that...but a functional battery is really recommended. And for all but the MT2500, that means a damned "rechargeable"; which is near-guaranteed to be worn-out and useless. And of course, you'd need the charger also.

3. Software new enough for all the vehicles you're likely to use it on. "Domestic" software is nearly universal, Asian is really common. "European" software is more rare, and typically inflates the price. The newer the software, the more you can expect to pay. The newest software for the '2500 was released in 2009, probably covers 2008 and older. The newest software for Solus might be 2012--2014 or something like that. Newest software for Solus Pro is 2015, I think. Software tends to be released twice a year, sometimes more often. For example, "8.2 software" was released in 2008, 2nd quarter; and covers up to 2007 vehicles. 14.2 would be released in 2014, 2nd quarter, covering up to 2013 vehicles. Software for the '2500 series was on user-replaceable cartridges for many years. After awhile Snappy wised-up and used "programmable" cartridges; you'd have to get "your" cartridge re-programmed on the Snappy truck, that way you couldn't sell your previous cartridge on eBay. The Solus family was all "reprogrammed" either on the truck or via the Internet. Updates were/are enormously expensive.

4. Vehicle adapters. OBD-1 requires a different adapter for each make of vehicle. Sometimes more than one. GM has at least three, although the third is listed as "ABS" and not at all common. Ford has three or four. OBD-2 was supposed to eliminate different adapters, but it didn't really work. The OBD-2 adapter is the same for every OBD-2 vehicle, but then you (may) need a "Personality Key". Key K-9 is common for GM; K-25 is less-common. There's about fifty different "personality keys". Adapters seem to be the same for all Snap-On professional-level tools; although the color changed from black to red which apparently means the adapter can handle higher current. I don't know why that's important. So the adapters I got with my '2500 are being used with my Solus Pro.

5. My MTG2500 had user manuals printed on paper. The Solus Pro has the manual on several DVDs. You'll want the manuals ESPECIALLY if you're new to scan tools.

6. You need a cable between the scan tool body and the vehicle adapter; you'll need a power cable for OBD-1. Some OBD-2 vehicles use a Controller Area Network (CAN) which requires a CAN adapter cable, the Snappy model number is "CAN1B", p/n MT250087. There's cables to connect to a computer, for saving data or for showing/printing the information so the customer can see it.

7. Ideally, you'd get the carrying case to hold all this crap. OTOH, if what you end up with is a scan tool body, a cable, an OBD-2 adapter and a few keys, and maybe a battery 'n' charger...you could put it in a big Tupperware container; or an old laptop computer carry-case, or whatever,

8. The '2500, the Solus, and the Solus Pro have NO support from Snap-On. NO updates, NO repairs. If the seller tells you one of these can be updated, he's lying or he's ignorant. The ONLY way you're going to get one of those updated is "unofficially"; and good luck 'cause I don't know anyone. The Solus Ultra support just ended, or is about to end. Solus Edge and Solus Legend still have support and updates. The newer you go in the family, the more expensive they get.

• Love
Reactions: metalmike187

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
1. The '2500 series will work on your vehicle (given appropriate software) but is REALLY out-classed by the Solus family. If you can, avoid the '2500s.

2. You don't HAVE to have a battery. The 2500 and the Solus family will connect to vehicle power and work off of that...but a functional battery is really recommended. And for all but the MT2500, that means a damned "rechargeable"; which is near-guaranteed to be worn-out and useless. And of course, you'd need the charger also.

3. Software new enough for all the vehicles you're likely to use it on. "Domestic" software is nearly universal, Asian is really common. "European" software is more rare, and typically inflates the price. The newer the software, the more you can expect to pay. The newest software for the '2500 was released in 2009, probably covers 2008 and older. The newest software for Solus might be 2012--2014 or something like that. Newest software for Solus Pro is 2015, I think. Software tends to be released twice a year, sometimes more often. For example, "8.2 software" was released in 2008, 2nd quarter; and covers up to 2007 vehicles. 14.2 would be released in 2014, 2nd quarter, covering up to 2013 vehicles.

4. Vehicle adapters. OBD-1 requires a different adapter for each make of vehicle. Sometimes more than one. GM has at least three, although the third is listed as "ABS" and not at all common. Ford has three or four. OBD-2 was supposed to eliminate different adapters, but it didn't really work. The OBD-2 adapter is the same for every OBD-2 vehicle, but then you (may) need a "Personality Key". Key K-9 is common for GM; K-25 is less-common. There's about fifty different "personality keys". Adapters seem to be the same for all Snap-On professional-level tools; although the color changed from black to red which apparently means the adapter can handle higher current. I don't know why that's important. So the adapters I got with my '2500 are being used with my Solus Pro.

5. My MTG2500 had user manuals printed on paper. The Solus Pro has the manual on several DVDs. You'll want the manuals ESPECIALLY if you're new to scan tools.

6. You need a cable between the scan tool body and the vehicle adapter; you'll need a power cable for OBD-1. Some OBD-2 vehicles use a Controller Area Network (CAN) which requires a CAN adapter cable, the Snappy model number is "CAN1B", p/n MT250087.

7. Ideally, you'd get the carrying case to hold all this crap. OTOH, if what you end up with is a scan tool body, a cable, an OBD-2 adapter and a few keys, and maybe a battery 'n' charger...you could put it in a big Tupperware container; or an old laptop computer carry-case, or whatever,

8. The '2500, the Solus, and the Solus Pro have NO support from Snap-On. NO updates, NO repairs. If the seller tells you one of these can be updated, he's lying or he's ignorant. The ONLY way you're going to get one of those updated is "unofficially"; and good luck 'cause I don't know anyone. The Solus Ultra support just ended, or is about to end. Solus Edge and Solus Legend still have support and updates. The newer you go in the family, the more expensive they get.
Thank you for all of this information. It looks like I have some work to do.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Many edits to my previous post. May want to take another look at it.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,396 Posts
Just a "yes-or-no" answer is required ...

1. Can the MT2500, with the correct Personality Keys (I have a bunch) be used on our 2005 TBs? (Y) (N)
  2. Will the OBD-2 cable from the MT2500 cause any trouble on a CAN system (Y) (N)
  3. Is the 2005 TB a real CAN system? (I've heard both ways) (Y) (N)
  4. Can I assume - by extension - that IF the MT2500 w/proper adapters/keys is usable on a 2005 TB --- will it also work on a 2005 Silverado? (Y) (N)

I'm not worried about graphing as I have a 2-channel oscilloscope already and can do that as I see fit.

I'm just seeking to expand my diagnostic abilities with the tools at hand --- but if I have to buy a Solus --- well --- I'd like that too.

As far as carrying cases ... I got a nifty one for my computers when they have to go into the field .....

Luggage and bags Product Bag Travel Rectangle

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just a "yes-or-no" answer is required ...
Yes-or-no? Me? Were you dropped on your head?

Also--note that the numbering is all screwed-up in the quotes. It resets to "1" each time.

1. Can the MT2500, with the correct Personality Keys (I have a bunch) be used on our 2005 TBs? (Y) (N)
My Trailblazer is an '03. I've never connected to a newer GMT360/370.

You'd need the correct Personality Key(s) which might be different depending on what sub-system you're communicating with. Maybe a K9 for the instrument cluster, but a K25 for ABS. Seems to me that I don't need a key at all for engine diagnostics on my '03.

Don't forget about needing the appropriate software. I had 6.2 on my MTG2500. Should be good for 2005 vehicles. I have NO idea how far you'll get with "generic OBD-2" software. NEVER used it. (You don't have software that new...right?)

Will the OBD-2 cable from the MT2500 cause any trouble on a CAN system (Y) (N)
  1. Is the 2005 TB a real CAN system? (I've heard both ways) (Y) (N)
You're gonna have to look in the service manual for that. I have heard that not using a CAN adapter on a CAN system can screw things up. I have connected my '2500 to exactly ONE CAN system; (a 2007 Ford) and the '2500 on-screen tips told me I needed the CAN adapter just like they tell you which "Key" you need. I connected to an 09 Avalanche a couple weeks ago, I don't remember using the CAN adapter, but did need a couple of personality keys.

1. Can I assume - by extension - that IF the MT2500 w/proper adapters/keys is usable on a 2005 TB --- will it also work on a 2005 Silverado? (Y) (N)
Almost certainly.

I'm not worried about graphing as I have a 2-channel oscilloscope already and can do that as I see fit.
There's a considerable time-and-hassle savings when the scan tool can do the sensor graphing. You can just scroll through the sensors on the Solus Pro, looking at each graph rather than having to connect and disconnect 'scope probes for each sensor. But yes, if you're making do with what you have...and you have a 'scope, you don't "need" graphing on the scan tool. (It's really nice to have.)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Will this have everything I need?

Do you have no domestic vehicle newer than 1999?

Wildly overpriced.

Poor description. "See photos" and then the photos show a jumble of crap.

No graphing on an MT2500.

I'm doing my best to steer you to a Solus or Solus Pro. This one will probably go for more money than the initial bid...but for now it's around $400 shipped, and it's three times the tool the one in your link is. I have no relation to this listing.
www.ebay.com/itm/175329459009?hash=item28d2733b41:g:wIcAAOSwD55itM0r

I don't know about software version 8.4. Mine is 8.2, and it only covers up to 2007. I would be surprised if 8.4 went two model years newer, as claimed. And it doesn't have "all" the OBD-1 adapters or OBD-2 keys, but it sure has "some" of them.

Can't tell for sure...I think the protective plastic cover over the dispay has been scratched-up, and then the damaged part cut away/broken-out so you can see the display.

[Later Edit] Or even better:

Much newer software, somewhat lower price, more adapters.

Again, I have no relation to that listing.

A more-extensive search might yield more/better results. Contact the sellers, ask questions. Be comfortable before you buy. Your local Craigslist and local pawnshops are other sources where you might find scan tools, and deal face-to-face.

Neither your link, nor either of mine, have the CAN adapter. I don't need it for my '03 Trailblazer. You might need it for your vehicle(s).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts