Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
The I6 takes 7 Qts with a filter......not 6.5, not 7.5, it actually takes 7 Qts at change time. Your dipstick should read right at the FULL mark after the change and allowing the oil to flow back into the pan. (Hot) If it doesn't the dipstick tube needs adjusting.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
AC Delco, Purolator, Wix, Mobil 1, are all highly rated.
:iagree: I personally use the mobil 1 filter, but K&N and Royal Purple also make filters for our engine too and are highly rated as well.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
40 Posts
ive been running a k&n oil filter with mobil 1 synthetic, and love it. only the best for this rig!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
From my first forum thread here you can see that I'm not familiar with technique things. But maybe I can give you nice information about engine/transmission oil & oil filter. As you can see I'm a German. My dad is working as a consultant engineer in a company which is developing filter systems any industry in this world. He is very close to the part of the company which is developing filter systems for cars (engine, transmission, fuel systems, air condition and other things) and is working with all the main oil companies in this world. And he told me that all discussions about oil, oil filter and so on is to kid the consumer.

1. Oil filter

There are 3 kind of oil filters on the market. Most of the oil filters have "paper" membrans which are not very strong. Tests have shown that after the first cold start of an engine, like 68% of all these "paper" oil filters are "gone". Most of the time this happens because of the pressure of the oil through a start of an engine. Other filters have very small magnets in her bodies. The problem is that all of them can catch small metal in the oil, but it's like < 10% of the metal in the oil. Why ? Because of the pressure and speed of the oil which is going through the filter.

All in all. A oil filter for cars makes no "seriously" sense like we want to believe.

2. ..... he told me more crazy things about oil and so on. I will talk with my dad in the evening and will ask him again to give you the right information about oil in engine/transmission and he thought the most forgotten thing the fuel system. I have to go to work right now.

Sorry but cu later in the afternoon.

Mike

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat . I'm hoping there is a miss communication someplace here. IIRC, in the early to mid 1950's, GM also thought the oil filter was useless and stopped putting them in their engines. Within a short number of years, they were replacing engines under warranty. They started retrofitting oil filters on old engines and again making them standard on all new engines. I seriously doubt that (Porsche, Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc.) engineers add oil filters just for looks. But, I could be wrong.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
A good friend and I have cut apart most every filter on the market just to check them out as far as filtering media inside. By far the WIX filter exceedes all filters in the marketplace by at least 30% (filtering media wise):m2:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Virtually any filter EXCEPT Fram (in any one of their varieties -- most are just added paint on the outside of the can) are okay. Some are distinctly better, Mobil 1, K&N (almost the same as Mobil 1, except more $$$), Wix, Napa Gold (made by Wix), and Amsoil are also really good. The AC Delco is middle of the pack, but okay. Watch out for rip-offs that are not the true Delco filter. Only way to really tell is to cut one open.

I recommend any Fram filter user to cut open their used Fram. That will end your relationship with that company forever. They are the poorest excuse for an oil filter that I've ever seen. Cardboard end caps with thin pressed steel as a spring. They are typically a pile of mush by oil change time. I've cut a number of them apart -- same thing on all of them, no matter the cost or "extra guard" etc.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
40 Posts
Some are distinctly better, Mobil 1, K&N (almost the same as Mobil 1, except more $$$), Wix, Napa Gold (made by Wix), and Amsoil are also really good.QUOTE]

ive noticed only about a dollar or two difference in the moble 1 and k&n all depends on the place and if there is a sale or not haha

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
I use the K&N gold series HP2006. Been using them since my Trans Am with good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts