Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
43 Posts
I would pick up mobil 1 instead. I got a 5 quart jug for $22 and the 2 other quarts were $13. So all said and done $35. Not bad for mobil 1. I would not chance the Walmart brand oil. :ugh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Used it in other vehicles for a couple of years and had no problems whatsoever. Figured any synthetic is better than conventional. The price difference between that and the Valvoline synthetic isn't much so when I got the TB I have been using that. Just bought another 5 qt. jug of Valv. syn. at Wally world for $21. There was a tag on it that says they will warranty your engine for 300k miles if you register before 75k miles. Have yet to look into it on their web site to read the fine print though.:m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here in Nashville at the one we use it's 11.00 for 5 qt. jug and 26.00 for mobil 1. Money is tight and I was just wondering. At least ac delco oil filter is cheap, 3 something!

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Walmart does not own oil production facilities.

The oil is bottled for Walmart at a full production plant. They use a Walmart "jug" and label. It's bottled under contract.

The oil could be Mobil one for all we know.

Would not bother me to use it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read another forum and the general consensus was that it was OK, but I wanted to get a few replies from our folks as Trailvoy people have far better judgement of what our vehicles can use. Thank you for your opinions and now I feel better about going this route as I am on a fixed income and need to save money where I can!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Advance Auto in our area has any 5 qts mobil 1 with a mobil 1 oil filter on sale for $30. This includes the extended protection formula. What filters do you guys favor and how often do you change your oil? I just bought my TB recently and not sure what to think of the oil life monitor on the DIC.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Walmart does not own oil production facilities.

The oil is bottled for Walmart at a full production plant. They use a Walmart "jug" and label. It's bottled under contract.

The oil could be Mobil one for all we know.

Would not bother me to use it.
:iagree: Actually this was discussed on this forum a while back, and many times over at BITOG. As Ray stated Walmart does not make their own oil. It is either Shell (who is the parent company of Pennzoil and Quaker State) or Warren Performance. If it's Warren there will be a "WPP" stamped on the bottom of the bottle. It used to be Mobil was the supplier and it can vary according to what part of the country you are in.
A lot of people have used it with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
290 Posts
:iagree: No wal-mart oil you pay for what you get. I myself use amsoil now that is a proven synthetic oil. First ever synthetic also great stuff I recommend it to anyone on Trailvoy

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Pretty much ANY oil carrying a current ASPI logo of the correct viscosity should protect the engine sufficiently to follow the OLM built into our vehicles. GM used the ACD oil for a basis of the OLM on most vehicles, with the exception being the LSx and turbo engines, which are spec'd for Mobil1. Now everyone, myself included, has had an oil leave a bad taste in their mouth at one time or another. For me it was Quaker State back in the 80s, had an engine that chewed up the cam and lifters. Now Chevy had some soft cams back then, so more thank likely the cam was as much a culprit as the oil, but I've never used QS since. - And don't get me started with the now infamous Arco Graphite, two different engines developed lifter knocks after using it....you think they would have known it could clog a lifter that already had deposits.

We've used the Walmart oil in my wife's Venture before we married. Both the synthetic and the dino, no issues and she didn't always get the oil changed right away when the OLM illuminated.....I keep on her with the Altima, now that we're married. I'd use their oil if money was tight without hesitation and their filters too! - Their filter is actually pretty good, lots of capacity and filters down fairly small particles. (Better than many name brands out there and tough to beat at $2.29 a piece).

·
Registered
101 Posts
So has anyone used Rotella? On our farm all we run is Rotella 15W/40 in all the tractors and semis and all the other vehicles we have whether they be farm pickups or family cars, Im getting close to the 1st oil change of having my TB and wondering if I should continue with Rotella or if there may be somethin better.......

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,063 Posts
You'll need 5w30 for the TB, not the 15w40 that you run in everything at the farm.

I haven't heard anything about the Rotella, but if your happy with it in all the other vehicles, run it. Just don't forget what I mentioned above.

Matt

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
517 Posts
I use the 5w-30 Super Tech without any problems. Change the oil by the OLM and have had no problems.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.