Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4x4, 4.2L:, 2016 ATS-V, 2014 CTS-V Wagon, 2018 Audi A7
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me? Second time I have changed the oil and filter in my 4.2L 2004. I replaced 6-1/2 quarts of oil and it is full. I understand our engines need 7 quarts. Why the difference with my engine?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
72 Posts
Nope its not just you , i had the same thinking as to why not 7 qts as well.
Mine takes the following :
< 6-1/2 qts. w / Ac Delco classic oil filter PF-61
From what i understand oil is trapped in the V.V.T. as well as other areas within which is why we only add that amount.
Been doing this procedure since purchased new and present mileage @ 90 k + and no issues.
I also spin the dipstick when checking to get an accurate reading as one side looks lower than the other which could lead you to add more oil if your not looking at both sides. :alien:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The first one I did I put in a full 7 quarts. I removed some soon after. This time I did the 6-1/2 and nailed it. I checked it again after a 30 mile drive and it is dead nuts. Thanks for your confirmation.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
264 Posts
Good to know .
I'll be doing our first oil change before too long .
I haven't looked . Is there enough room for a bigger oil filter ?
I always ran a bigger filter on our Jeep Country and that took about a half quart extra .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a bitch getting your hand up and in there to remove and then reinstall a new filter. Larger is probably out of the question. I totally understand using a larger filter as that is what I do on my CTS-V, but probably not the best was to go on these trucks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No problem :cool:

Another tip is when removing the filter and not make a big mess is to get a 2 liter , remove the bottom of it with your favorite knife.
Grab a small hammer and a long sharp punch longer than the bottle.
Drain pan underneath it first.
Then loosen the filter just enough before it will drip , place bottle upside down covering the filter and wedge / lock it in place against Stabilizer bar , insert the punch through the pour hole , strike filter area w/ hammer -and punch it lightly till its leaking oil , drop the punch.
Squeeze the bottle after the river of oil slows down as to grip the filter using the bottle and unscrew it from the block and it should flow a bit more oil to drain out.
Once it slows to a drip , finish filter removal removing the 2 ltr and a rag under the filter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Or if your in a rush and cant wait for the drips after the hole punch , grab the bottles cap and attach then continue removal.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
264 Posts
It's a bitch getting your hand up and in there to remove and then reinstall a new filter. Larger is probably out of the question. I totally understand using a larger filter as that is what I do on my CTS-V, but probably not the best was to go on these trucks.
OK , Thanks for that^ . :)
I'l stick to the stock filter .

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
the K and N filter is also a good option, has a welded nut on bottom to remove it easy.

high quality filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I went to change my oil on my 04 XUV I couldn’t believe the filter that was on it. The previous owner used a jiffy lube place and the filter they used was only about 2 inches tall! Looked like a filter from a Briggs and Stratton engine.. This is another reason NOT to use any of those cheesy low quality 19.99 oil change places.. probably didn’t even get new oil with the puny filter. I installed an AC Delco PF61E with full syn 5-30 oil. I bought a nice filter wrench at autozone that fits the filter flutes tight and I use a 3/8 extension, stick it up in the small access hole and the filter comes out easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was going to use the k&n filter but it was FOUR times the cost of the AC Delco filter. I found the AC filters online for 3.99 so I bought enough to get the free shipping?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
I agree, k and N is pricey. next oil chnage I have the ac delco (walmart in USA for $3.50), K and N was $20 at amazon.

and costco castrol GTX 5w30 dino oil.

only thing i like about the K and N , besides the improved filter capacity is the welded nuty, makes it so much easier to remove.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
6 Posts
Are you rechecking the level after starting the engine and making sure oil pressure is ok? Mine drops about 1/2 a quart after doing this and it has always taken right at 7 quarts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you rechecking the level after starting the engine and making sure oil pressure is ok? Mine drops about 1/2 a quart after doing this and it has always taken right at 7 quarts.
My post #3 mentions how my 4.2L only takes 6-1/2 quarts, even after a 30 mile drive. So I fill with new oil only 6-1/2 quarts then check it out. My first oil change I put in the requisite 7 quarts and had to remove some oil as I had too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts