Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
so I have a 2002 TB 250k miles and just wanted some recommendations on oil change intervals. The manual says 10k or 1 year. Is that really a good interval? I usually use AC Delco filters and super tech conventional. I drive a lot of short distances. FYI My job is only 3 miles away and most of my driving is trips 10 miles or less. I changed it in February of 2020 and have about 1500 miles on it so far. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
86 Posts
Hi,
so I have a 2002 TB and just wanted some recommendations on oil change intervals. The manual says 10k or 1 year. Is that really a good interval? I usually use AC Delco filters and super tech conventional. I drive a lot of short distances. FYI My job is only 3 miles away and most of my driving is trips 10 miles or less. I changed it in February of 2020 and have about 1500 miles on it so far. Thanks for any advice.
10,000 seems a but much to me. I usually change mine every 3500 - 5000 which for me is about once a year as its not my daily driver. 10,000 is crazy id never go that far. Im at about 4000 now and im getting ready to have it changed as well as the trans fluid again which thats at about 30,000 or more

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
484 Posts
If your 02 has the oil life monitoring system, then change the oil at least once a year or when the oil life monitor tells you to.

I personally change oil in all my vehicles every six months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. I use Purolator filters and 5w30 Havoline conventional oil, but as soon as my stash of oil runs out, I'll be switching over to Havoline ProDS full synthetic because I can buy the 6 quart smart change pack for under $20.00.

Now, because you admit to primarily driving short trips, I would follow a 6 month/5000 miles oil and filter change routine. Your driving falls under the category of Severe for oil & filter changes.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
The best way to make a determination for your usage would be to have an oil analysis performed. Blackstone Labs make it really easy and for the $25 or $30 it costs, I find it to be cheap insurance as it provides warning signs of impending engine issues. They also tell you how much of the additive package remains in the oil. If it is say 7 or higher, you can run the oil longer. If it is say 3 or less, than you have extracted full value from your oil.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
35 Posts
I have always relied on the Engine Oil Life System in my 02 Envoy. Nearly all short trips, and it has consistently advised me to change the oil about every 7500 miles. For me the vehicle has run fne for 88k miles doing this.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
4 Posts
I run my 08 Envoy 4.2L 10K miles between oil changes. Been using QS 10W30 synthetic with AC Delco filter. Engine oil life indicator always shows around 27-30% oil life remaining at time of oil change. Approaching 90K miles and oil change this week.

·
Registered
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I ended up changing it last week. Went to Walmart and they were really short on supplies so I unfortunately had to get a Fram Tough guard filter (no ac delco which I wanted) and 7 quarts of super tech high mileage 5w-30. Figured I’ll stick to just changing it every 6-8 months. Since I drive less than 3k miles and mostly short trips under 10 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts