Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing an oil change, I was revving it a little bit and noticed it sounded like it wanted to die before actually revving up. The air filter was changed about 400miles ago. When I changed the spark plugs, where the hex head and ceramic part of the plug meet where rusted and number 4 looked to have some slight oil? on it. We are at 111K on it now. After changing the plugs the rev seemed to be more responsive but didn't seem to have a "fast" rev like most engines (hit the pedal and it revs up). Is this just the computer doing it because its in park? It did seem to have better response when actually driving though. Oh and BTW, when you get on it, it downshifts and the RPM's spike to almost 5K freaks me out. Is this also normal? This is NOT my daily driver, it is the wife's. I drive a 98 stick Stratus with a 2.0l in it. lol Sorry if that should be another post.

Thanks,
Outlaw

· Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
Yeah, it's all good.

When in park, all that it lets me get to is 3,500 rpm, even if floored.
You do know the throttle body of your vehicle is electronic, right?
The computer is just not opening up.

As to the 5,000 rpm spike, I know exactly what you are talking about it.
It is just the transmission, she's kind of 'dumb'.
You're just going to have to learn to drive with her desires to downshift.

:)

· Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
I'm gonna suggest, your throttle body needs to be cleaned.
The butterfly gets sticky and (because we have an electronic throttle) the little motor is slow to change the position.

There is a write up, for do-it-yourself, in the Articles section.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on my truck when i rev in park the highest it goes is 3k on the rpms. i think its set like that on our suvs from the factory.
Thanks. I can't say I tried to see how high it went, just noticed it was slow. lol

Yeah, it's all good.

When in park, all that it lets me get to is 3,500 rpm, even if floored.
You do know the throttle body of your vehicle is electronic, right?
The computer is just not opening up.

As to the 5,000 rpm spike, I know exactly what you are talking about it.
It is just the transmission, she's kind of 'dumb'.
You're just going to have to learn to drive with her desires to downshift.

:)
Thanks,
Honestly, I did not know that, but it does explain why I could not find the cable (haha). I thought maybe it was just in the aluminum housing to be honest. (Really, I'm not dumb :D) I have owned my car since 01 and the last car before the truck was a 96 Dodge Intrepid so all these electronics are new to us. Is that spike even safe? lol, I expect the downshift of maybe one gear, but when it drops that second one and it winds up... sounds like the engine is about to blow. I can only imagine what they sound like with the CAI and Aftermarket Exhaust. Sheesh

I'm gonna suggest, your throttle body needs to be cleaned.
The butterfly gets sticky and (because we have an electronic throttle) the little motor is slow to change the position.

There is a write up, for do-it-yourself, in the Articles section.
Thanks. I did check that while I had the resonator off for the spark plugs, surprisingly it wasn't bad. I do want to clean it though. Maybe next oil change or when we get a CAI.

· Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
Thanks,
Honestly, I did not know that, but it does explain why I could not find the cable (haha). I thought maybe it was just in the aluminum housing to be honest. (Really, I'm not dumb :D) I have owned my car since 01 and the last car before the truck was a 96 Dodge Intrepid so all these electronics are new to us. Is that spike even safe? lol, I expect the downshift of maybe one gear, but when it drops that second one and it winds up... sounds like the engine is about to blow. I can only imagine what they sound like with the CAI and Aftermarket Exhaust. Sheesh

They sound GOOD!!!! Also, as long as it up-shifts at or before red line it should be fine. This I6 likes to get its power in the mid to upper range.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

They sound GOOD!!!! Also, as long as it up-shifts at or before red line it should be fine. This I6 likes to get its power in the mid to upper range.
Thanks. Good to know. And when you say redline, I assume you mean the end of the tach range as there is no actual readline. I think it just stops at 7K RPM.

· Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
8 Posts
tell her to mash it down and hold on...it freaked me out at first too...going from a smooth as silk BMW 740iL with a V8 to an I6 SUV...now i love that nice scream/whine it has!! im glad it'll pull it a$$ around with ease :woot:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.