Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
1) I first installed mine where 07TB installed his - on the front of the cam cover area and I didn't get much oil at all. Then I moved it over to the drivers side of the engine. About 1/2 way back there is a short hose that connects the cover to the block. I didn't cut the hose but I removed on end and connected it to one side of the catch can the bought another 1/2" fuel line hose and routed it back to the block. For some reason I get way more oil on with this setup than the first installation - don't know why I just did. (This position is close to where the brake booster line is attached.)

2) I also don't have much of a filter in my catch can system either and cleaning what I do have would be fairly easy with a bit of varsol. No PCV either.

3) Yes the Ebay item looks good and cheap - until you look at the $99 that clown wants for Shipping and "Handling".

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
I'm in Canada and we get raped on shipping costs. If items are shipped regular USPS they are a bit more reasonable - but anything with a priority listing is horrible.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
389 Posts
1) I first installed mine where 07TB installed his - on the front of the cam cover area and I didn't get much oil at all. Then I moved it over to the drivers side of the engine. About 1/2 way back there is a short hose that connects the cover to the block. I didn't cut the hose but I removed on end and connected it to one side of the catch can the bought another 1/2" fuel line hose and routed it back to the block. For some reason I get way more oil on with this setup than the first installation - don't know why I just did. (This position is close to where the brake booster line is attached.)
The connection between the intake resonator and valve cover provides clean air FROM the intake TO the engine (pull this hose with the engine running and you'll see/hear that air is being drawn into the valve cover). The connection between the block and the intake manifold (driver's side) is what pulls the dirty air from the engine and into the intake. <---that is where the can should be located.

After seeing what yours caught I will be picking up the stuff on my way home tonight

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Thanks for validating/confirming that I installed my Catch Can in the right location. I didn't end up cutting the original hose from the block to the Intake (in case I wanted to disconnect the Catch Can) - but used that hose in its original form/length to connect to one side of the catch can and the other side still connected to the intake system. I bought more 1/2" fuel line hose and some 90's to connect the other side to the block. The 90's were used so I didn't kink the hose. (And as everyone knows - there is no PCV valve on this engine). It's tight but it does fit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I installed a coalescent filter that i had on the crankcase vent by the manifold.

This is what it collected after a 1K trip.

DSC01646 by questtv, on Flickr

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,239 Posts
The connection between the intake resonator and valve cover provides clean air FROM the intake TO the engine (pull this hose with the engine running and you'll see/hear that air is being drawn into the valve cover). The connection between the block and the intake manifold (driver's side) is what pulls the dirty air from the engine and into the intake. <---that is where the can should be located.

After seeing what yours caught I will be picking up the stuff on my way home tonight
Doh! Correct you are. No clue what I was thinking when I did that. I'll relocate the catch can this weekend.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
6 Posts
I had a grand am with a paper filter on the pvc system, and when ever the temp got cold enuf it would freeze the filter and blow seals in the engine. My cheap fix was to pull the dipstick out a bit during winter months. I just got my tb and noticed the valve cover gasket leaks pretty bad. I wonder......?

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Based on the post about the catch can freezing up and blocking the line thereby blowing seals, I modified my air filter catch can so that the vapour didn't have to go through the sintered air filter by drilling some small holes in a plastic support under the filter. I also installed some copper media (you know - from the copper wirey pan scrubbers) in the bowl to catch some oil. (Some Catch Cans say they have coalescing media in the CC.)
I did this because the 'stuff' I was catching looked like an oil/water emulsion not just oil so I was worried about it freezing, sealing up the sintered filter in the assembly and blowing seals.
(before I did this I pulled out the oil dip stick as suggested).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Based on the post about the catch can freezing up and blocking the line thereby blowing seals, I modified my air filter catch can so that the vapour didn't have to go through the sintered air filter by drilling some small holes in a plastic support under the filter. I also installed some copper media (you know - from the copper wirey pan scrubbers) in the bowl to catch some oil. (Some Catch Cans say they have coalescing media in the CC.)
I did this because the 'stuff' I was catching looked like an oil/water emulsion not just oil so I was worried about it freezing, sealing up the sintered filter in the assembly and blowing seals.
(before I did this I pulled out the oil dip stick as suggested).
I wouldn't worry about blowing seals because of your catch can freezing. If it does freeze, any crankcase pressure will exhaust through the PCV connection upstream of the throttle body.

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Well - first off - there is no PCV in an Envoy with the I6. Second, the line from the block to the intake system (where you think the PCV should be and the line you are describing) is the line that I have my Catch Can mounted in (see Previous posts re location of the Catch Can line). Therefore, if it froze there would be no place for the excess pressure to go other than out the dipstick or seals. Also - as described in the post regarding a DIY CC with the pic - he did say to remove the white plastic part. In my case, this is the filter. I didn't remove it as this filter assy supports other parts to direct air flow so I fiqured I'd leave it in - until I heard about freezing and the look of the 'slugde' that I was catching.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
As I understand it, we do have PCV. We don't have a PCV valve.

There are two PCV hoses, the service manual says one carries clean air the other carries dirty air from the crank case to the intake manifold. :m2:

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Did you put anything else in the CC to help catch the oil/vapor or does it just go in and out? How much do you get between oil changes?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,239 Posts
The oil accumulates in the bowl. Does some oil still get into the intake? I don't know since the seperator I use is for removing water from an airline. I'd say I fill the bowl about 1/5 the way between each 3,000 mile oil change.

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Using the home mande catch can I still notice some crud on the TB but I do get about 1/3 cup of coil between oil changes so it is a good thing to do IMO.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
140 Posts
I have a 03 I6, can someone put a list of parts to buy. (LOWES HOME DEPOT) I think a have a good part list but I'm one of those guys just wants to walk in and out. Lately I noticed the truck is using a qt of oil every 3-4k miles. Seeing everyones post I'm wondering how much I would catch. If possible email me [email protected]
Thanks,
Joe

21 - 40 of 41 Posts