Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
1,012 Posts
I just got one of these oil catch cans from 42 draft design. http://www.42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/catchcans.html
I was wondering if any one has ever used one of these. It is suppose to seperate the oil vapor from the intake. Increases fuel octane in the intake also.
Interesting idea, but IMHO it's not an idea worth $250.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer this, but couldn't you just hook up a piece of hose and let your PCV valve expel its gas into the engine compartment (the hose would let oil drain down away from the engine)? Any reason you need a vacuum from the manifold?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know some engines will run rough in the situation you do that and also some will not pass emissions due to a vacuum leak. they also have a stealthone that is not able to be taken apart. for less money

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Catch Can

I've just cleaned my Throttle body on my Envoy and decided to do my Chrylser 300 as well. Both were quite dirty. I checked the 300 web site to see what those guys are up to and found references to the "Catch Can" you mentioned. Here is a link to a site that they buy Catch Cans from.

http://www.billettechnology.com/

Looks like a really good idea since it keeps the vaporized oil from getting back into the intake system it should keep the TB cleaner and not gum up the intake valves etc. Some guys report emptying this device every oil change.
Sounds like a good idea and this one is only $95 (I say only because the one you mention was alot more expensive). Still seems like a lot for what it is. Someone also suggested to go to a hardware store and buy an oil filter assembly for compressed air for way less and it does the same thing.

Given the dirty TB that I had after 20K miles, I think this might be a good addon. Anyone ahve any experience comments about this concept?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
51 Posts
Unless you're making some legit power, there's not really any reason to run a catch can. The idea never even crossed my mind on if I should install one in my trail blazer.

Cars are designs to have a little blow by, its normal, its when you push it and get a lot of blow by, it becomes an issue. Finding some oil in your intake means everything is running like normal =)

If you insist on doing a catch can then go to homedepot and pick up the parts.

The follow list of parts was taken from my350z.com posted by i8acobra

1)Husky air compressor water filter, part #HDA70400AV (Home Depot) or
Campbell Hausfeld air compressor water filter, part #IFA10600AV (Loews)

2) Two (2) A-293 3/8" to 1/4" MIP brass barbs. The bag should be white and yellow. (Both Home Depot and Loews sell Watts brand)

3) Teflon tape

4) About two (2) feet of 3/8" fuel hose

5) Two (2) 1/4" to 5/8" worm gear type hose clamps.

Instructions:

First thing you need to do is take apart the water filter and discard the white element inside (there may also be a plastic piece that looks like a gear. Discard it as well). Then reassemble the container.

Next, wrap some teflon tape around the threads of the barbs. It's important to wrap the tape in the proper direction so that it doesn't come off the threads when you screw the barbs in to the container.

Screw the barbs in to the container. Brass fittings are tapered on the treaded end, so don't overtighten them. You want them pretty tight, but if you go too far, you'll break the container.

Now figure out a good place to mount your catch can. I mounted mine to my APS strut bar.

Once you've figured out where to mount the can, cut your hose accordingly.

Attach the hose to the catch can using the worm gear clamps.

Now, remove the factory PCV hose from the passenger's side (US. Driver's side in AUS) valvecover and the front of the intake manifold. Discard the hose, but keep the clamps.

Now attach the catch can to the PCV valve and the intake manifold using the factory hose clamps.
IMPORTANT: Be sure the arrow on top of the catch can is pointing towards the intake manifold. This arrow indicates the direction of airflow.

That's it. You're done. Be sure to check the oil level in your catch can once a week until you know how long it takes to fill up.
I removed the valve on the bottom of mine and added a bolt with rubber washers and metal washers on both side to make sure it was air tight.

We have 4 cars. Outside of my turbo charged car, I don't see a reason to run it, unless you do a lot of track days or are very hard on your cars.

However, if anyone does want to do it, I trust the following DIY on my garage queen car. it works and cost about 15 bucks total.

As far as that filter goes, its located in the tool department. took me 2 different stores and 3 employees to figure that out.........

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The problem isn't so much the blow-by, it's the fact that the I6 has no PCV valve. There is nothing to catch the oily fumes and they gum upon the throttle body plate, instead of collecting in the PCV valve. :m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
214 Posts
Those catch cans are beautiful, but seriously...it's a can with a few ports on it. $235.00? You gotta be kidding me...

I run a catch can on my boosted Sunfire; wouldn't even think of putting those fumes back into the intake stream.

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1,518 Posts
I've just cleaned my Throttle body on my Envoy and decided to do my Chrylser 300 as well. Both were quite dirty. I checked the 300 web site to see what those guys are up to and found references to the "Catch Can" you mentioned. Here is a link to a site that they buy Catch Cans from.

http://www.billettechnology.com/

Looks like a really good idea since it keeps the vaporized oil from getting back into the intake system it should keep the TB cleaner and not gum up the intake valves etc. Some guys report emptying this device every oil change.
Sounds like a good idea and this one is only $95 (I say only because the one you mention was alot more expensive). Still seems like a lot for what it is. Someone also suggested to go to a hardware store and buy an oil filter assembly for compressed air for way less and it does the same thing.

Given the dirty TB that I had after 20K miles, I think this might be a good addon. Anyone ahve any experience comments about this concept?
I ran a catch can from BT on my Jeep SRT8. It 'caught' alot of oil....generally half to 3/4's full between oil changes......performance wise not sure--already had exhaust,tune, tstat on when I installed the catch can. Most SRT8 guys were runnin' them and I read good things about the catch can. :m2:

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Thanks for the info on the "DIY" method and parts. I'll try that before I put out the big $$ for a manufactured one. It's not so much the performance I'm woried about - it's keeping the crap out of the intake system which over time an't be any good for anything. From what my TB looked like I can only imagine what the rest of the system further in looks like. I think after I put in the home made catch can it's time to seafoam.
The 300 that I have does have a PCV valve which was replaced once by the stealer for some reason and it's TB was dirty too - so it doesn't look like the PCV valve catches everything.
Going to Home Depot tomorrow! Will update on how this works.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
51 Posts
Thanks for the info on the "DIY" method and parts. I'll try that before I put out the big $$ for a manufactured one. It's not so much the performance I'm woried about - it's keeping the crap out of the intake system which over time an't be any good for anything. From what my TB looked like I can only imagine what the rest of the system further in looks like. I think after I put in the home made catch can it's time to seafoam.
The 300 that I have does have a PCV valve which was replaced once by the stealer for some reason and it's TB was dirty too - so it doesn't look like the PCV valve catches everything.
Going to Home Depot tomorrow! Will update on how this works.
Just keep in mind a $20 catch can setup and a $200.00 catch can setup will work the same. The only difference you get for the extra money is bling.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Just keep in mind a $20 catch can setup and a $200.00 catch can setup will work the same. The only difference you get for the extra money is bling.
Yep... Air line oil separators are designed to do just that... and are MUCH cheaper...

Mike

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
I installed the DIY catch can on my Chrysler 300 and next WILL be my Envoy. I'm amazed (and dissapointed - getting blow by) with how much oil it catches. Went on a 2000mile trip and it was half full (anout 1/2 cup). It will be interesting to see if the throttle body stays cleaner. I see Princess Auto has the Air Filter on sale for $10 again so I'll install it shortly. For the $$ - I think this is a good bet to install to keep the crap put of the intake system - whether it was 'designed' for it or not.:)

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
Success with the DIY Catch Can on the Envoy. I checked it today (oil change) and see that I have about 1/4 cup of oil in the container. I'm glad to have this crap not in my intake system. Works great!

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
3,700 Posts
Success with the DIY Catch Can on the Envoy. I checked it today (oil change) and see that I have about 1/4 cup of oil in the container. I'm glad to have this crap not in my intake system. Works great!
Cool!

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
I changed my oil again and took a pic of what the Catch Can caught. Here it is. Well worth it in my mind. Kind of an emulsified oil. Glad to have it out of my intake system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Seems like a good idea to me. I cobbled together an oil seperator using a $13.50 seperator I got at Lowes, a scrap piece of 0.090" aluminum and some extra -6 Aeroquip hoses and fittings I had laying around. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
The concept is good, getting the oil out of the recycled flow from the crackcase back into the intake, but the thought comes to mind: What happens when the screen/filter becomes clogged? - And it WILL, otherwise a PCV valve would not be a wear/change item on vehicles so equipped. The cheaper of those expensive models appear to have no practical way to clean them, other than removing them from the vehicle and pumping solvent through them. The more expensive $235 model does come a part, but there is likely no way you'd recover your costs. That DIY from Lowe's isn't a bad idea, however you'll really need to replace that unit maybe yearly or every 15k or so, based on how long most PCV valves usually needed replacement.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The concept is good, getting the oil out of the recycled flow from the crackcase back into the intake, but the thought comes to mind: What happens when the screen/filter becomes clogged? - And it WILL, otherwise a PCV valve would not be a wear/change item on vehicles so equipped. The cheaper of those expensive models appear to have no practical way to clean them, other than removing them from the vehicle and pumping solvent through them. The more expensive $235 model does come a part, but there is likely no way you'd recover your costs. That DIY from Lowe's isn't a bad idea, however you'll really need to replace that unit maybe yearly or every 15k or so, based on how long most PCV valves usually needed replacement.
Engine does not have a PCV, just a hose from the cam cover to the air box, which is where I spliced into. The filter has been removed from the seperator, so all that is needed is to either unscrew the bowl and drain it, or open the fitting on the bottom of the bowl to drain. There is no need to replace anything at any mileage, just empty it. If I think the filter is needed, it can easily be installed and replaced as needed. This system will keep all the oil out of the intake tract, whereas a PCv still lets oil into the intake tract.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts