Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to the forums :).

Owned a TB SS AWD for a few years in the states, now we moved to the middle east in the middle of the desert. I'm just curious if anyone has experience of modding a TB SS for offroad, or if going with a normal TB would be better. I'm wanting a fun daily driver that I can take out sand dune bashing on the weekend.

I found a low miles TB SS for about 20k here, and wanted to know if it would be good in the sand. I assume i may need to lift it with some more sand spec tires. But I couldn't find any info on a lifted/Offroad SS. I'm guessing the extra power would be nice in the sand, since its more like running through the mud the up a mountain. Let me know if you've seen anyone do this, or have any ideas as to how :)

Thanks

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
The extra power would be nice (as, I think it was Duneblazer, can attest to, wanting more power than his I6), but the limited slip rear diff (as opposed to a locker), and the "all wheel drive" (viscus coupling) vs. the 100% lock that you get from the "4-wheel drive" transfer case of a 5.3L or 4.2L TB/voy, are less than optimal...

It may be a thing where it would be MUCH easier to buy the SS, THEN put in a transfer case out of a 3/4-ton truck, and a "real" locker, would be much easier than doing an engine/trans/rear end swap on a normal TB...

Mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy
89 Posts
Not sure about how a SS would hold up in the sand??? I did see some type of lift kit that appeared to mod the airbags for additional lift in the back on ebay. It was under trailblazer SS parts & Acessories hope that can help. If it doesn't, well at least you still have an SS and that's fun enough to drive anyhow. Good luck :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts