Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so there's surprisingly little information about this, so I thought I'd start a thread about it... This isn't really an engine mod or tune, and it isn't a transmission mod, though it monitors both... It's not an OEM issue, so it doesn't go there... Because of the lack of a "general" 5.3L section, I'm putting this here, and if the powers that be want to move it, so be it...

This thread is for the working codes for '06 - '08 5.3L SWB Trailvoys, with the CAN system (The TXD/RXF can be slightly different than the standard OBDII Trailvoys)...

These are the same as the "GM CANSF" on the sheet, here: http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf

- Knock Retard
- Engine Oil Temperature

These are different than the "GM CANSF" on the sheet:

- Transmission Temperature: A guy with an '08 said he was just able to use the "Allison" codes, but that did not work for me... I called, and apparently the 4th bit of the TXD is the location bit, where the computer stores the value in memory... If the regular code doesn't work, you can change that 4th bit (it's a "0" on the code sheet linked to above) from 0 to F, and it could be in one of those... The TXD that worked for me was: 07E2221940 (without the "01" at the end)... The rest of the values were the standard values from the "Transmission Fluid Temperature (ex Allison)"

As I get more time to mess with this, I'll post up codes that work... If any of you who have the same CAN 5.3L vehicles can add your own, that would be great... I'm specifically still looking for:

1. OLM
2. TCC Clutch Slip %
3. TCC Lockup on/off/PWM
4. Fan speed, commanded
5. Fan speed, actual

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I'm specifically still looking for:

1. OLM
2. TCC Clutch Slip %
3. TCC Lockup on/off/PWM
4. Fan speed, commanded
5. Fan speed, actual
I'm just now getting into researching the available codes, but do we even know these for the non CAN vehicles? I, too, would love to be able to access these things.

And maybe this is an ignorant question, but what is the difference between CAN and VPW? How do we know which our vehicle is?

Thanks for catching me up!

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just now getting into researching the available codes, but do we even know these for the non CAN vehicles? I, too, would love to be able to access these things.

And maybe this is an ignorant question, but what is the difference between CAN and VPW? How do we know which our vehicle is?

Thanks for catching me up!
Everybody but the '06+ V8's use VPW... VPW is the original "OBDII", and CAN stands for car area network, and actually communicates on the same wires, on a network, inside the vehicle...

I've seen Bill talk about using the scangauge to check on fan speeds, etc... You might ask him...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I just read up on this a bit more... Looks like the CAN standards were required from 2008 on. Strange that '06 V8s got it too... I'm assuming that 2006 on V8s got CAN standards... right?

I also read that you can change your setting on the scangauge... have you tried that and then tried using the other mode codes? I'm not sure if its backwards compatible... but may be worth a try :undecided?

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but since they re-did the 5.3L for this vehicle after they knew about the switch, it was just CAN from the get-go... Pretty sure I read 2006 DOD V8's were CAN, as well...

Not really... the scangauge automatically detects the protocol the vehicle uses, and switches to it... you can enter X-gauges in the old mode, but they won't work (I tried it)... BTW, CAN is not at all compatible, communication-wise with the old style OBDII... It's just that a lot of the new readers are set up to read both...

Back to this thread:

I did try and go through the OLM codes, putting in different numbers/letters for the 4th digit, like worked on the trans temp, and none of them worked, both with and without the "01" at the end... Waiting to hear back from Scangauge about that, as well as the codes for #2-5 on my list above...

Mike

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Breakthrough... the first 6 digits are all that changes for the codes to change from old style to CAN... Anybody got any good old-style codes for #2-5?? Bill?

I think I found good ones for #2 and #3, from the gassavers.org, but will need to do the conversion on them, and put them in and see...

Thanks,
Mike

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I got TCC PWM and TCC slip to work...
TCC PWM:

TXD: 07E2221970
RXF: 046205190670
RXD: 3008
MTH: 0004000A000
NAME: TPW

This may do some strange things when you are off the gas (shows 98-100 when not in lockup... I think the computer is putting out 98, but the relay just isn't closed), but it's right when you are in lockup...

TCC SLIP % (1/10):

TXD: 07E2221991
RXF: 046205190691
RXD: 3010
MTH: 0001000A0000
NAME: TCS

Remember, this is a 1/10, so if it says 213, it means 21.3% slip. Because of the math, it displays a large, 4-digit number on negitive slip (coasting), and doesn't display the correct number (100%) when completely stopped.

I did learn some interesting stuff from these 2 gauges... The % of the pwm on the tcc lock varies in order to keep the slip % above 1.5 and below 5% (at a PWM of 20 - 45%)... Most of the time... When you are on the highway (especially above 70mph), the PWM goes up to 60-65%, and the slip goes between 0.1, 0, and the negitive number... I suspect it does the same thing at lower speeds, while towing in 3, but have not had the chance to mess with this just yet...

--------------------

As an asside, I wonder if we could get PCM4LESS to give us the 4-digit PID codes for the fan speeds, then use the same math, etc, as another RPM, to get the fan speeds displayed on the scangauge...

Mike

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone had any luck with the fan speed on a scangauge? I have an 03 voy 6 cylinder.
This is the CAN V8 thread... You've got a PWM I6... Completely different beast, with different codes...

Mike

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if it helps, but the codes should be identical to what the Trailblazer SS guys are seeing. I believe a few of them have scangauges.

Tim
My codes would be identical... His I6 codes would be different...

Where would I find the SS codes? On the SS-specific site?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
79 Posts
I've got an 06 5.3 v8 but can't get the CAN codes to work for oil life. Has anyone gotten oil life to work with this vehicle?

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got an 06 5.3 v8 but can't get the CAN codes to work for oil life. Has anyone gotten oil life to work with this vehicle?
No, I have not been able to get it to work... One of the main reasons I purchased the thing, in the first place...

Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
I emailed Scangauge and as of yet (week later) have no reply. I'd think they'd reply if they want to get business. Also, what we are talking about is a #$%@! computer. Its a chip. So finding out what address is linked to oil life should be a 'simple' matter of Scangauge geeks calling Chevy geeks. Whatever!!:hissy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... should be a 'simple' matter of Scangauge geeks calling Chevy geeks. ...
And the PCM tuning industry is simple as well, because GM designers are allowed to take calls from and spill proprietary secrets to third parties? :crackup:

I think there's a massive amount of experimenting, hacking and reverse engineering that goes on. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
:cry:
Still can't get OLF to work on 2006 5.3L TB. I was hoping that by reposting someone would eventually figure this out. Its there, but just can't read it with the scangauge. I've tried everything except starting with 00000000, then 00000001, ...

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
1 Posts
TFT codes

Trying to revive this thread. I have an 06 Envoy Denali. I'm trying to get my scangauge II to read the transmission temperature. When I try the CANSF codes for TFT for non allison transmission, I can't get it to read anything, using the 01 at the end. If I don't use 01, it reads a constant 32. Can anyone help me get my scangauge to read transmission temperature.

·
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trying to revive this thread. I have an 06 Envoy Denali. I'm trying to get my scangauge II to read the transmission temperature. When I try the CANSF codes for TFT for non allison transmission, I can't get it to read anything, using the 01 at the end. If I don't use 01, it reads a constant 32. Can anyone help me get my scangauge to read transmission temperature.
From the first post in this thread:

- Transmission Temperature: A guy with an '08 said he was just able to use the "Allison" codes, but that did not work for me... I called, and apparently the 4th bit of the TXD is the location bit, where the computer stores the value in memory... If the regular code doesn't work, you can change that 4th bit (it's a "0" on the code sheet linked to above) from 0 to F, and it could be in one of those... The TXD that worked for me was: 07E2221940 (without the "01" at the end)... The rest of the values were the standard values from the "Transmission Fluid Temperature (ex Allison)"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not really... the scangauge automatically detects the protocol the vehicle uses, and switches to it... you can enter X-gauges in the old mode, but they won't work (I tried it)... BTW, CAN is not at all compatible, communication-wise with the old style OBDII... It's just that a lot of the new readers are set up to read both...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts