Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I stayed up late last night working on this before my skiing trip this weekend.

I figured this was post-worthy.

The bar itself is all aluminum, with a flat black paint. I did not want to deal with rusting, so aluminum seemed to make sense.

I mounted it so that it is easily removable. I made a plate that fits perfectly in the roof rack slot. Then I JB Welded a nut to the back side. It works like a charm. It was also very simple:

I ran the wiring through the rear door. This made sense to me, since I did not want to drill through the roof yet (I've only had the truck for about 20 days).

I also wanted the rack to be easily removable. To do this, I ran the wiring to the inside top of the rear door. Then a simple plug comes out of the molding over the b pillar. This is where the lights plug in.

You may recognize the lights as the same as the Roadie's. They are made by blazer, marketed as tractor lights. They are cheap lights but they have a good mounting system (it swivels all over the place). I did not want to spend a ton of money on this, so they were perfect for me. (plus I can update the bulbs later if I need to).

A view from the rear:

And of course, a comparison beam shot. The great thing is that I can make them point anywhere I want, so this beam pattern is not set in stone.

The overall cost was quite low. I spent maybe $100 on the entire setup. This includes lights, switches, relays, metal, bolts, sweat, & tears.

Let me know what you all think. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
wow nice job you should buy more and make that same setup and sell them i really like it if i had the know how on how to put on together i would do it. if you could do a write up that would be awsome

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
Nice install! I like the low profile. How much clearance do you have from the sun roof when it's raised in the back?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
941 Posts
Very nice! What is that mounted in front of your rearview mirror?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice install! I like the low profile. How much clearance do you have from the sun roof when it's raised in the back?
The sun roof hits it when its raised all the way. I can mount the lights further back though. I just didn't think about that at the time. When I take it off next, I will reposition it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
That logo on your post is awesome....it would make a cool emblem or vinyl window sticker!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ok I'll take one . Gather up the parts and give me a price for a kit :undecided .

Looks great .

1 - 20 of 331 Posts