Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a month ago I bought my first TB and since then have done minor things to it, tinted windows and black bowties, but have had always wanted to lift it. I have off-roaded some and plan to do more once the lift and tires are put on it, so don't stick me with a grocery getter warning lol. Don't get me wrong, as of yet I don't plan on going very hardcore but I do love going up to the big horns.

Ok, so to the point. My problem is which kit to go with. I'm currently looking at either the BDS suspension lift or markmc's liftmeister kit. I would also add the Bilstein HD's to the front, but I won't replace the rear springs or anything. I understand the price difference and all that jazz. I just would like to know which one is really the best for me since many say BDS is more durable but do I really need the BDS since I'm not going extreme.

So with all that in mind I would greatly appreciate anyones opinions on what I should do.

Thanks for any and all help!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
326 Posts
Even with my factory tires and Mark's lift I have been some places and back that I never thought my TB should go, now that being said, mark's lift is a quality product that should hold up under MOST conditions. I say most being, the average trail run, running it through the mud, hills, that sorta thing. If you jump your TB and expect the lift to live afterwards, your asking for alot. I would go for Mark's lift. My .02

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
I would probably not go with the BDS set up due to price as Rough Country makes a similar lift much cheaper. This however only applies if you need a heavier duty lift. For all other purposes I would go with Marks lift hands down. But word to the wise if you are going to do the front then don't skimp on the back. For the rear you'll want to buy Z71 springs to complete the package and will be happier in the end. Mark makes a top quality lift that is second to none. That's just my opinion. Good luck on your choice and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
DZP is correct in regards to "heavy duty", everybody keeps forgetting one major factor that MUST be considered when making this decision.

Do your long term plans include adding weight to the front of the vehicle - as in replacement metal bumper, winch, front hitch receiver, radiator skid plate, larger (heavier) tires, etc?

Any 3 of these will add significant weight which will make short work of the stock rubber bushings that hold the top of the coilover shock to the body.

Mark's product is absolutely top notch but it still does make use of the OEM rubber bushings. On my old blue Trailblazer with a Curt front hitch receiver, a Mile Marker heavy duty grill guard/winch mount, and 33 x 11.5 tires, I tore through the rubber bushings in about 6 months. After that they rattled like crazy and my front end drooped at least an inch.

The BDS (and Rough Country) kits replace the stock rubber bushings with bullet-proof poly ones. This type of system is the only one that will handle the extra weight of major front end modifications. So in other words, you need to consider your longer-term plans when making the decision.

AG

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
374 Posts
:eek:fftopic:Speaking of, has there been any word on whether or not we can just get those poly bushings and use them with mark's kit? That sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

/end offtopic.

But yeah, unless you're planning on a custom offroad bumper, then I'd say mark's lift kit and then later his body lift when that gets done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only modifications I would do up front would be bigger tires and a grille guard at the very most. So, with mark's lift, I wouldn't tear through the bushings would I?

And the Rough Country lifts seem more like a leveling kit than a lift kit. Or would that satisfy my needs for all terrain tires?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
326 Posts
With Mark's lift and some decent all terrain tires, you should be good to go. Just rememebr that if you got with any tire larger that 30.5" tall, you will need spacers to get your tire away from the upper ball joint.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... just get those poly bushings and use them with mark's kit?..
Not possible. The poly bushing concept only works with spacers designed and fabricated for them (made from tube and plate steel, not aluminum castings)

And the Rough Country lifts seem more like a leveling kit than a lift kit. Or would that satisfy my needs for all terrain tires?
The lift or leveling kit you choose doesn't dictate the tires you get. Your mission (after you define it) dictates the tires (tread and diameter) you require. Everything else descends from that first decision. Where are you going to take the trailvoy?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just up in the moutains with rutted roads and some off road would probably be the harshest stuff the truck will see. Everything else will be just going through Wy grasslands. Like I said not really major stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts