Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this weekend I went off-roading I'm still kinda new to it maybe gone like 10 times but this time when I was ripping threw the water all of a sudden the truck shut off but all the electronics still worked.. I was wondring if it was maybe due to the starter getting wet or maybe the exhaust getting plugged but I've gone thew these pits before with no issues. Anyways when the truck stopped the water was upto the running boards and we had to rock the truck back and forth to get it to finally fire up but it struggled.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone knows what this could be to help prevent it from happening again... And if you guys have any tips on things I should do to the truck before playing in mud and water..

P.S sorry for the bad grammer doing this on a cell

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
You got water in the air intake...

Did you ever get it restarted??

Replace the air filter. Take the plugs out, and turn the engine over with the starter. Dry the plugs off with compressed air. Put the plugs back in. Try to start it...

If you got too much water into the engine, you can break connecting rods, ring lands, etc... If you get too much water in an engine, and you're running at too high a throttle (let too much in at once), or too high an RPM, you can totally destroy your engine... like "go get another engine from a junkyard" destroy it...

You can stop it from happening again by GOING SLOWER THROUGH WATER!!! so it doesn't splash up into the engine compartment and the air intake...

You can also be the first one on here with a snorkle, if you're doing a lot of water crossings...

You should be able to go through water up to the headlights without getting water in the engine... You have to have your speed correct. Go slow, but just fast enough to have a bow-wake in front of the vehicle. That's fast enough to make positive pressure in front of the radiator and keep the engine compartment mostly dry, and slow enough that it's not splashing up into the engine compartment..

WATCH THE TECORE YOUTUBE VIDEO!

ETA: now I see that you got it fired up, finally...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Anyways when the truck stopped the water was upto the running boards
On a stock truck the running boards are like 7" off the ground. I doubt he hydrolocked it.

What were the symptoms when it stopped? Could it turn over? If it could turn over, did it seem to turn over at normal speed? Why did you shake the truck? I don't see any mechanical or electrical benefit to shaking it.

I've easily been in 30" of water and haven't had an issue, so I doubt 7" of water can hurt you. I'm not convinced that the water had anything to do with your problem.

Glad you got it restarted.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
He said he was "ripping through the water", and I accidently did that when there was a huge flood here, and there was water all up on the underside of my hood, and on top of the engine. I have seen carb'd trucks hydro-locked from running through water, like that (or rather, I've seen one hydrolocked, and several just quit running, then restart a few minutes later)...

More than likely, he got water splashed up into the airbox, and sucked in enough to kill it...

This is why you slow down to go through water more than 3-4" deep...

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a stock truck the running boards are like 7" off the ground. I doubt he hydrolocked it.

What were the symptoms when it stopped? Could it turn over? If it could turn over, did it seem to turn over at normal speed? Why did you shake the truck? I don't see any mechanical or electrical benefit to shaking it.

I've easily been in 30" of water and haven't had an issue, so I doubt 7" of water can hurt you. I'm not convinced that the water had anything to do with your problem.

Glad you got it restarted.
That's how deep it was when the truck stopped.. Which was close to the end of the pit.. So it was deeper and I did get a lot of water in the engine bay because when I poped the hood water was just pouring off the under pad... As for starting it you would hear it try for a second the just die.. And the check engine light was on... Then we got out to try and push it all we managed was to rock it but then as we keept rocking it started to try and start even more maybe the water was just draining out faster who knows..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
That's how deep it was when the truck stopped.. Which was close to the end of the pit.. So it was deeper and I did get a lot of water in the engine bay because when I poped the hood water was just pouring off the under pad... As for starting it you would hear it try for a second the just die.. And the check engine light was on... Then we got out to try and push it all we managed was to rock it but then as we keept rocking it started to try and start even more maybe the water was just draining out faster who knows..
The "under pad" being the heat blanket mounted to the bottom of the bonnet?

Either way, I'm not disagreeing with Mike. It sounds like you were going way too fast. Also, you may want to consider disabling your fan next time. This will prevent your fan from kicking water all over your engine bay. Procedure below:

Unplug fan control plug:

Stop fan from moving due to clutch drag by lightly stuffing a rag between the fan and the fan shroud:

I would guess that you got water on a coil pack or something. Considering the heat under the hood, it may have evaporated eventually and allowed your engine to restart. But getting water on a coil pack can really cause havoc sometimes. However unless you do it again and actually break something, I'm not sure if we'll be able to diagnose anything other than poking in the dark.

Just be careful. Don't go in water that is over your bumper, and if you are in water over 6" or so, slow way down! As fun as it is to 'rip' up a mud pit (is it fun? :no:), you need to consider the impact to your vehicle and also the environment (figured I'd throw in a little TL propaganda :yes:).

For a decent look at the proper way to ford high water, check out 6:35 onwards on the video below:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts