Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some different wheels and Google pointed me at articles on straying from OEM wheels. I get many of the points on questionable QC, metallurgy, etc. But is it worth worrying to much about? I see so many people with custom wheels that I cant imagine it's a huge problem.
Further more, I see that 6x127 BP is hard to find on custom wheels, I did find a few places that have blanks for custom drilling, anyone go this route?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
75 Posts
What you need to know is... All "OEM" wheels are made by aftermarket suppliers. Kelsey-Hayes, Motor Wheel and few others were major players in supplying OEM wheels and brake components. Most of them have probably been bought up by conglomerates but they are still out there supply wheels and hardware.
There is nothing to fear in going with a name brand aftermarket wheel. I have been running various brands of wheels for 45 years with out a single wheel failure, it's not even on the radar.
I will be looking to Bonspeed Wheels when I get ready to go aftermarket on my Envoy. They will build the wheels to your specs, width, offset and bolt pattern.
Mark

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point, hadn't considered that. I've decided to go the adapter route and just go to a 6x5.5 wheel. But thanks, my worries have been alleviated.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
75 Posts
I would worry more about the adapters then the wheels... How thick are the adapters? Pushing the wheel centerline out board has ill affects on bearing life as it loads them off-center... You would be better off getting wheels that fit. :)
Mark

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been reading on that, was thinking same thing. I don't necessarily like the idea of adapters but I have found nearly 0 wheels in a 6x5 BP that I like. Wish I knew approximately how much faster offsetting the stance will chew through bearings. I have a lot to consider. I know what I want the Voy to look like but still trying to find the best parts and setup.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
75 Posts
Understood. I am going thru the same thing. Just so you know, I did a lot of suspension design for GM and throwing big thick spacers onto an independent front suspension is not a good thing. Not only for the bearings but also handling.
Check out Bonspeed for wheel selection.
http://www.bonspeedwheels.com/wheels.html
I have used their wheels on a couple of projects and the cost isn't that bad. They will drill for whatever BP you need. I will probably be going with the Big Block or GT-B styles wheel when I get ready to pull the trigger this spring.
Mark

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Safe to assume using a wheel with a high negative offset at correct bolt size is going to cause same problem as an adapter? I really like how it looks with the tire protruding slightly (say an inch or so) from the fender, or at least flush.
For such a seemingly simple thing there are so many factors involved. I'd like a lift that allows 31-32" tire and have about an inch of tire profile stick out from the well. I have seen so many similar setups. Do people just not care about the hub wear and replace them more often? I don't plan on doing actual offroading. This is what I'd like to accomplish for my own truck https://m.imgur.com/r/4x4/j0RkP or this http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2170197/2005-gmc-envoy/photo-gallery/ or this https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheel-offset-gallery/266590/wheel-offset-2003-gmc-envoy-aggressive-1-outside-fender-suspension-lift-3 this last one utilizes a 0mm offset which is 50mm less than stock and no spacers which is more to my liking then a neg offset and big 1.5" spacers...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts