Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SES Light has been on for a while now it use to come on for a while and than go off. I had an oil change and the garage said MY Catalytic Converter might be going out ,that's $1300.00 so I took it to Auto Zone and this is what came up. BBCatalyst efficiency low-bank 1, Explanation -BBThe oxygen sensors monitor the Catalytic Converters BBability to store oxygen. BB1.-Catalytic converter defective (failure BBpossibly due to #2,3,or 4), BB2.-Engine misfire or running condition., BB3.-Large vacuum leak., BB4.- Engine oil leakage into exhaust-valve guide BBseals, piston rings. I dont think its BB3 or BB4 but it could be BB2 because I've never had a tune up it has 140,000 on it. where or the sensors located?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
$1300 for a replacement cat is robbery. Recommend getting a mechanic that doesn't have three kids in dental school at the same time.

Your other problems cannot really be diagnosed here without the SPECIFIC 4-digit codes. Please get them read somewhere else and post them.

Is there any reason you've been ignoring the Owner's Manual recommended maintenance intervals? A 2002 4X4 should have had its transfer case fluid changed at 50K. Plugs and coolant changed at 100K. Etc. etc.

The throttle body is likely dirty and sticking. We have an article on cleaning it yourself.

Are you a DIY kind of mechanic, or will you be taking it to a mechanic for the repairs?

And I have to ask - the SES light stands for Service Engine Soon. Is there anything relevant we should know that made you decide to defer getting the codes read? Budget? The vehicle isn't your primary one? You have a bigger love in your life? ;)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no I do keep my fluids changed and filters changed fuel, air ,etc. I've just never had a tuneup. I quess Auto Zone don,t give you the 4- digit codes. Oh and I'm trying to put my son through college.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
im wondering if your O2 sensor started to get lazy-- and set the code-- but since it had failed- the engine was dumping fuel to the cat-- and that helped end its life...

The FRONT 02 sensor is the one to change (the one after the cat rarely fails).
The front sensor is very easy to change (unless you live in the rust belt) and it has rusted to the manifold.
If youre like me and live in a place like Southern CAlifornia- then removing the 02 sensor will be easy.

My 02 sensor had not failed- no codes or anything-
But I went ahead and replaced it before it got lazy.
I replaced it when I was around 130,000.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Yes, because of the wires coming out of the top. Go look in the parts store. It's called an Oxygen Sensor Socket. Just for fun sometimes, even before I need a tool, I take a walk up and down every aisle of the parts stores, just for curiosity. And new tools intrigue me. You might enjoy that kind of exploration as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.