Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 02 tb with after market remote start and alarm. It has done this to me several time now but knowone can figure it out. I turn the key and nothing ( all other electric works) let it sit for a while (overnite) and it fires right up. have had it towed to shop but when they try it it will start and there are no codes???:confused:
I have been told to start by replacing the starter relay??? Hate to just start replacing parts without knowing what the problem is. Is this the right way to go???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the remote start was on the vehicle when I purchased it used 4 years ago which is why I dont think that is the problem. I have had the battery (new) and the altenator checked both are good. Have never heard any thing strange from the starter trying to avoid removing the starter to have it checked (I was told that is the only way to check it)

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
so it doesnt make a clicking sound when trying to start it?

are you positive the remote start doesnt drain the battery so much it wont start when you get in it afterwards?

how often do you use the remote start?

I have a feeling its not the starter causing this :undecided

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery is one year old and is testing like new and use the remote start almost daily. When it is not starting there is no noise at all no dimming of lights or anything. Last time we tapped on the starter and that also did nothing. I was told by a diesel mechanic at work to replace the starter relay if it has one.:confused:

·
Registered
137 Posts
When you don't get the starter to run test for voltage to the wire from the neutral safety switch to the terminal on the starter solenoid. Have somebody turn the key while you use the meter or test lamp. If there is voltage then the solenoid should click. The switch or starter is bad if it doesn't crank. If there is no voltage the neutral safety switch could be bad or out of adjustment or the ignition switch is bad. Check the voltage from the starter switch.

How many miles are on the starter? When the brushes get to the end of their life they get down to where they may not touch the armature solid enough to get good electrical contact to run the motor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are 97,000 miles on the starter. This problem has occured 3 times in the last 2 months. It happened this past Friday afternoon after getting it towed home and letting it sit for a couple hours it started and has started fine every since then.:confused:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
There are 97,000 miles on the starter. This problem has occured 3 times in the last 2 months. It happened this past Friday afternoon after getting it towed home and letting it sit for a couple hours it started and has started fine every since then.:confused:
i have delt with this in many cars... (well atleast its very similar) new starter... my mothers van, fathers truck, friends cars... they all did the same thing, replaced the starter or starter solenoid and all was fine..

my mothers van was a pain cause this was happening to her for months but never did it for me so i couldnt figure it out.. from what she told me what happens i knew it was the starter but could never get it to replicate the problem... got a new starter in there and not a single problem since..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what I am leaning towards. Thought about having the starter relay tested if it can be first then replace the starter. It just seems strange that the starter has never made any noise and didnt respond to knocking on it while attempting to start last Friday.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
Thats what I am leaning towards. Thought about having the starter relay tested if it can be first then replace the starter. It just seems strange that the starter has never made any noise and didnt respond to knocking on it while attempting to start last Friday.
to test the relay take a relay out of another part of the vehcile (one that u know works) and stick that in the starter one and see if it does it again..

and tapping doesnt always work... everytime ive done it its been a 50/50 thing...

·
Registered
137 Posts
At 97,000 miles the starter is getting long in the tooth. Starters "back in the day" when engines took longer to crank before they started didn't last as long. With fuel injection the starters seem to last longer. I suspect my vehicle starters are all on borrowed time as they are all over 110,000 miles. I don't know if you can buy a solenoid separate from the starter. They used to be available separate but they were not as dependable. With that many miles your starter doesn't owe you anything. I'd replace it and save the aggravation of being stranded.

Of coarse my first car came with a hand crank.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
remote start

i would check the starter relay also the starter itself could be going with that many miles its possibly at the end of its life

1 - 12 of 12 Posts