Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone...i'm new year and a newb at trailblazers. I purchased my first trailblazer the other week, its a 2003 LTZ 4x4.

recently my trail left me stranded as it wouldn't start. I did a bunch of research and found out that the ignition switch is a common problem on these vehicles.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined...but i took the trail to the chevy shop here in town just in case. I found out it is the actual starter that went out (129,xxx miles). The dealer is wanting to charge me $670 for parts and labor.

Call me crazy, but isn't that too damn much for a starter? Is there any manuals or threads on doing it yourself that someone can direct me to?

Thanks i appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! And yes that is high and you can do it yourself, use the search button and you should find threads for how to, it's not that much different from any other starter replacement job! Good luck and happy Trailblazing!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat . You have posted in the 5.3 V-8 section, but you have 4.2 I-6 listed? I'm thinking you have the six. There are two bolts (actually one bolt and one nut on a stud) holding the starter on. The service manual suggests removing the drivers side tire and working through the wheel well.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! And yes that is high and you can do it yourself, use the search button and you should find threads for how to, it's not that much different from any other starter replacement job! Good luck and happy Trailblazing!:thumbsup:
A new starter costs around $200.00

1 - 5 of 5 Posts