Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't purchased the back up camera, yet, so product suggestions are welcomed (if permitted...if not, please let me know what to look for).

I'm terrible with backing up. I am always afraid I'm going to run into a car...or person. I'd like to mount a camera on the back, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I get started. I already purchased a Car Rear View Camera Monitor: 7 inch TFT color LCD with AV2 to car backup camera. I'm probably putting the cart before the horse. I know a little about wiring, installing ceiling fans, for instance. But I'm not seasoned in vehicle wiring systems.

Anyway, I looked for an article, and it seems nobody has thought of adding this to your DIY collection.

I would really appreciate your help. My 2007 Trailblazer will thank you. My neighbors will thank you. My dog will thank you. :thx

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
450 Posts
Your best bet would be to go to an installer and get a quote. You would need it so it would activate when you shift into reverse, they know how to do this. They will recommend what type of camera to use and where to put it. Then it is up to you to decide if you are capable and comfortable of doing this or use their expertise and experiences, depending on your budget.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
79 Posts
I know this post is old but if you are still interested in doing this I can help. I have a camera installed on my 02 TB. It's a license plate frame camera, I used it all the time when hitching up to my car trailer. My friends would freak out when they would see me backing up and not look out my mirrors or anything :) I too had an AVIC headunit but decided to go back to the stock BOSE 6 disc. Now the camera is hooked up to a screen in the visor. It's been a while since I did it but like I said if you need a hand let me know.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
Hi Onesick, I want to install a dashboard camera and I'm looking for a good power source to tap into so as to avoid cig lighter plug-in. It would need to power off when the ignition is turned off.

I've done some searches in the forum and Google but still not sure the best option.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently purchased a new stereo, with a rear backup camera. The camera installation instructions say to wire the power to the reverse lights. Can anyone tell how to get to the reverse lights so I can connect the power wire to the reverse lights?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Onesick, I want to install a dashboard camera and I'm looking for a good power source to tap into so as to avoid cig lighter plug-in. It would need to power off when the ignition is turned off.

I've done some searches in the forum and Google but still not sure the best option.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sorry for the delay this winter has been brutal. My backup camera is on a toggle switch. The toggle switch is wired directly into the fuse panel. I can certainly find you a wire that is hot only when the ignition is on but it might not be until tomorrow. We lucked out and hard some warm weather today. I take it you don't have a test light?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have recently purchased a new stereo, with a rear backup camera. The camera installation instructions say to wire the power to the reverse lights. Can anyone tell how to get to the reverse lights so I can connect the power wire to the reverse lights?
If the camera is in the rear of the truck I would just tap into one of the tail light (reverse light) wires. That's what I did, on the drivers side. Mine is on a toggle now, but was previously connected to the reverse light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts