Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I've read through this site for years but never posted until now so here it goes.

I'm in the process of replacing the mode door actuator on a 2002 Trailblazer. I got the old one off put the new one on, but this is where my problem is. While calibrating the actuator, I noticed that it moved but then when I actually went to test out the ac, it still wasn't working. Which to me was odd because I just saw it rotate a bit during the initial calibration. So I tried to calibrate it again and saw that the actuators were all going throught process of calibrating except for the new one I just installed. Trying to find the problem I removed the cover off the actuator to reveal the gears and see what's going on. Went through the calibration process again and saw that the actuator is trying to calibrate but just keeps turning and turning and turning to the point where it starts to grind the teeth off the gears. Unlike the rest of the actuators where they rotate forward then rotate back into position.

I went and checked the old actuator and took it apart as well, I saw the main gear cracked I assume from the same problem.

Any ideas on fixing this??? Right now I can only guess that the problem is with the car computer. Hopping I don't have to take it to the dealer for this because I can only imagine how much they will charge to fix this. I've tried disconnecting the battery, pulling the HVAC fuse ect. Nothing's helped.

Any help is very much appreciated.

ps. Anyone know why I had to put SOLVED as the prefix/title just to be able to post new thread?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,503 Posts
Since the actuator is trying to move, I would put the blame on the mode door. It is probably stuck or binding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would that be the white part the actuator goes on to? If it is, you may be right because I tried to turn it by hand but it wouldn't budge.

However the actuator does this both mounted/installed and when i have it in my hand connected by the wires. So Im not positive that its the problem either.:(

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,503 Posts
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The mode door is inside the air plenum and the actuator gear mates with the door gear. Have you tried to move the door gear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too am not sure what you're trying to say here, let's figure it out:). I assume you are asking if I've tried to move what the actuator mounts on to...if so then yes I have and it doesn't move.

Sorry to be such a novice, I just don't know of a all the technical terms for all the components Im dealing with.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,503 Posts
If the mode door can't be moved, then that is your problem. And I don't think it is an easy fix, the HVAC box may have to be opened. I don't have any experience in this task. Try doing a search on stuck mode door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, after doing some research I haven't been able to find anything on fixing the mode door its self, still looking though! Hopefully I find something or someone here is able to help.

Thanks for your help so far EnvoyBoy2004

I went out to the truck to get a pic. (Again still guessing) I assume that this (circled in the picture) is the mode door you were speaking of?

If so how easy is it supposed to be to move because it is indeed "stuck" when I try to rotate it by hand

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the mode door it's self getting stuck a common problem? Because I haven't found any info on this. The only way I can think to free the mode door would be to force it to turn with a wrench or pliers. But Im a bit worried that I could damage something...

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,503 Posts
Yes that is the engaging side of the door, it should move very easily, a small motor in the actuator is able to move it.

Try wrapping some around the stem (tape or cloth to protect it) and use a pair of pliers. Gently try to move it, may be there is something in air box that's obstructing movement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I was able to move the mode door free so I reinstalled the actuator. It looked to have calibrated along with the rest of the actuators. But for some reason it still will not move when I move the ac to the vents.

Any other suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts