Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

my sons 2005 trailbazer the transmission suddently lost reverse other gears seem ok. he went to check the fluid and could not get the dipstick back in it stop about 1 inch short.
it does not appear bent. I could not get it back in either tried rotating i but it seems to only want to go in one way. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,715 Posts
This is gonna be a poster-child I bet --- but TYPICALLY when you lose Reverse, the sun shell is fractured or the splines are gone.
This is the big reason WHY --- at the time of rebuilding, we ALWAYS install a hardened shell.​
Now --- the reason why you cannot put the dipstick back in --- therein lies the mystery --- might it be shrapnel from --- the drum? --- not likely.

Perhaps the valve body unbolted itself and fell into the pan and that's why the stick won't go back in.

BUT --- let me cogitate on that for a moment ---- <ahem>

1. The filter didn't fall off --- that would affect Reverse but also any other forward gears too.
2. Did the dipstick tube come outta the transmission and you are running into the outside of the transmission case? --- Again --- not likely.
3. I got nutthin' here at this point ...

You HAVE to drop that pan.

I want pictures and numbers, lines and arrows under the pixs, explaining what happened --- and paragraphs that aren't one-big-blob of words.

OK?

Reactions: btevis01

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Reply! I had to look up the word "cogitate" nyuk nyuk nyuk.............

if it is the sushell gear does it usually require a complete rebuild?

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,715 Posts
Thanks for the Reply! I had to look up the word "cogitate" nyuk nyuk nyuk.............

if it is the sushell gear does it usually require a complete rebuild?
It would be wise to not just repair a transmission "of age".

But ... we ... us ... don't really have any idea of all the circumstances involved here. You've got a strange-o situation here and it becomes behoovant to drop that pan.

The proof will likely be in the pan ... on the magnet ... next to the pile of clutch powder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts