Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Envoy XL SLT driver side door switches quite working. All the other doors work fine. When you turn the key off the radio shuts off instead of staying on until door is open or 5 min is up. The dome light does not work. The controls for the windows, the locks, heated seats, mirrors, & seat memory all do not work or light up at night. The other doors work fine. Ordered a brand new switch module & it did not fix the problem.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
New switch modules need to be dealer-programmed at extra expense to mate up with the vehicle. That's why we strive to buy used ones instead.

Or you have a simple broken/flexed wire at the hinge line of the door. A data comm wire fault could cause those symptoms.

Did you determine FOR SURE that it was the DDM (driver's door module) at fault by temporarily swapping in the one from the passenger's door?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not for shure if it is the DDM or not. Window was left cracked over night & it stormed. Wife went to leave for work in the a.m. & it would not unlock. Thought it would dry out but when she got home still nothing. I checked the DDM fuses under the rear & it was good. SO I swapped the driver & passenger DDM fuses, still nothing. Then I popped out the DDM, disconected wire harnesses no water, so then I open up the whole switch still no water but it had that hot/burnt electronic smell & a lil char spot on the green board. Went to go get a used switch for a $100 bucks but the switches weren't the right ones & they told me they can't keep that type in because they are a hot item. Found brand new DDM online for only $37 more and figured that was the better route. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Luck

I went through the Envoy again looking for broke or wore wires, fuse boxes, or anything else & still can't find nothing. Found on other fourms that there is about four to five other guys out there with the same problem. Lil tight on cash right now so I'm trying to figure this out myself instead of taking it to the dealer but it looks like it comming down to that. Just don't understand why the dome light and radio could be tied together with the DDM if that is what is it. Anyone have anything on this!?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've had an ongoing problem with the DDM that the dealer couldn't figure out either. It's very intermittent, and more likely to happen in the colder months.

I don't think it's related to yours but I when it does happen I have the same issue with the radio turning off right away. I think it has something to do with how retained access power works, probably the BCM can't tell if the door is open or closed w/o communication from the DDM so it just shuts it off.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I mentioned three very specific issues in my post #2.

1) If you found a new one and it didn't work, it's probably because it needs dealer-programming or it's dead. If you can't find a used one, paying the dealer to program this one may be your cheapest way out.

2) You said you looked for broken wires, etc, but the most common way for a wire to fail near a door or liftgate hinge is by INTERNAL flexing that breaks the conductor but leaves the insulation looking OK. Not sure how you determined all the wires were OK without measuring continuity with a meter and a couple of pins to pierce the insulation on either side of the hinge area. Did you do that?

3) The #1 way to make sure it's the DDM is to put the PDM INTO the driver's door and see if any of the functions work. And vice versa. Not move the fuse, but the switch module. Did you do that?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feel like a dumbass on this one, but a a very big THANK YOU out to the roadie. Switched the PDM and the DDM and the driver door worked. Passenger didn't with the driver DDM. Thought about it but just never tried it because of an open conection with the DDM & the PDM not having the same functions. What a relief on not being out $140.00 for the DDM & just needs programed.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
7 Posts
Having exact same problems, 2003 LT EXT. Drivers side is dead. Swapped DDM w/ PDM, dead as well (DDM worked on PDM side). Swapped fuses, nothing. Swapped relays...Worked all the sudden. Then quit, then worked, then quit for good lol. Guess I am gonna have to start checking wires. NO fun.:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, there is a plug with all 4 wires that are all thicker then the rest of the wired plugs. I am assuming this carries the 12V (pink wire). I am getting 12V to the DCM, but the DCM is completely dead. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xuv
3 Posts
Check the drivers door harness between the door and the body pillar where it bends. Common for wires to break there. You will usually see the insulatin broken on the wires before it fully breaks. Roadie also suggested you look there previously.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I see a pink wire in the 2004 schematics only involved in the mirror control, a much smaller wire.

There are TWO 12V feeds I can see. both orange. Pin D on connector C1 (a 2mm fat wire), and pin B5 of connector C2 (0.35mm gauge), the two-row one.

And anybody tracing power should remember to trace the ground at the module and make sure it's really at ground - a fat black wire on C1, pn A.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
For me at least, it's a LOT more fun than working to pay the money to get somebody else to work on MY vehicle. There's a loss of manhood involved in the latter activity. Massive loss of manhood. :hissy: Like walking into Michael's to pick up some dried flowers for a scrapbooking project. :eek: I HATE it when my wife sends me to that store. I feel like there's Kryptonite inside. :duh:

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
335 Posts
For me at least, it's a LOT more fun than working to pay the money to get somebody else to work on MY vehicle. There's a loss of manhood involved in the latter activity. Massive loss of manhood. :hissy: Like walking into Michael's to pick up some dried flowers for a scrapbooking project. :eek: I HATE it when my wife sends me to that store. I feel like there's Kryptonite inside. :duh:
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I am having this exact issue with my 2002 TB. Driver door is dead in cooler weather .. but starts working again after 5 to 15 minutes of driving. Very annoying. :mad:

Ever find out the problem? Thanks.

I've had an ongoing problem with the DDM that the dealer couldn't figure out either. It's very intermittent, and more likely to happen in the colder months.

I don't think it's related to yours but I when it does happen I have the same issue with the radio turning off right away. I think it has something to do with how retained access power works, probably the BCM can't tell if the door is open or closed w/o communication from the DDM so it just shuts it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
window

i have a 2003 chevy trailblazer. i have no power to the driver window switch. the switch works on the passenger side. any ideas?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2003 Trailblazer LS. checked wiring/continuity. All other doors work switched PDM to DDM no luck then I plugged DDM to PDM and it smoked as soon as I plugged in the harness. Now both doors don't work... What gives?:bonk:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Driver door module

I know this is an old thread, but we are having a similar problem. Yesterday the drivers window would roll down, but would not come back up. As it was late, we had to wait until morning to check more thoroughly. My husband swapped out the DDM with the PDM and still had no window operation on the driver side. He put them back in their respective places, and tried the window switch again. Up went the window. There have been no problems now with rolling it down an inch or two and then up again. Any suggestions of what we should be looking for now?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but we are having a similar problem. Yesterday the drivers window would roll down, but would not come back up. As it was late, we had to wait until morning to check more thoroughly. My husband swapped out the DDM with the PDM and still had no window operation on the driver side. He put them back in their respective places, and tried the window switch again. Up went the window. There have been no problems now with rolling it down an inch or two and then up again. Any suggestions of what we should be looking for now?
hi, welcome to the site.

have your husband check the obvious, loose or broken fuse, broken wire, bad connection somewhere. clean contacts with contact cleaner. use a dab of dielectric grease. bad ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need help on troubleshooting a GM driver door module switch. I have a 2008 Saab 9-7x, and nearly all the wiring is a Trailblazer or Envoy, & the switch is the same.

Here's my problem- The ddm was replaced & programmed a few months ago & hasn't gotten wet since. At that time,I had replaced the door wiring harness as well as the connector at the door jamb. The fuse blew the other day, as soon as I finished putting the window down all the way. I replaced the fuse, but it still won't work. Based on trying to test things before with the switch, I thought there may have been a break in the wiring before it connects at the door jamb. (So, if nothing else- can you please tell me where the door wiring connects or leads to beyond the door jamb? Does it run to the fuse box in the engine, to the seats, or to the rear fuse box underneath the rear seat?)

I looked inside the switch & it looks good & hasn't gotten wet or anything like that, & I didn't see anything charred or shorted out. Absolutely none of the controls on the switch work.

Nothing else appears to have stopped working. I can use the other windows & locks from other doors & switches.

What I've done so far:
- I 'grounded out' the battery & removed the switch for about an hour, & reconnected things but no luck.
-I checked a lot of fuses & all seem good.
-I removed the 25amp 2-pin fuse (or breakers or relays or whatever they are) for the seats, the lt doors & the rt doors from the rear fuse box & checked them for continuity with a multimeter, & they had continuity.
-I tried to use the passenger switch on the driver side in order to get the window up in the meantime, but that didn't work.

When the fuse blew, I had just gotten back to my car & was putting the windows down & getting a dog into the car. I opened the door while putting the window down, but around the same time, I think I also adusted the steering wheel tilt, and/or may have moved the power seat.

Can anyone direct me on how or where to start troubleshooting? I've had issues with other ddm switches before & I thought the passenger door module switch won't work when the driver side didn't, since it relies on communication.

I have a multimeter & some various test lights, but they're all rather confusing for me & I have to look up instructions every time, because I forget every time, but I can do it.

Can anyone tell me how or where to start to figure this out?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts