Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 LTZ w/ 88K lost it's power assist on right hand turns. It started with momentary loss like after backing out of a parking spot. Now the power assist is basically non-existant for RH turning, although it works perfectly fine turning left. Added some Lucas magic leak stop fluid and it made it worse, then I flushed it and it's back to just pretty bad. I figure it may be a plugged valve. I don't really want to tear the rack out... anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, I have the very same problem, and I've narrowed it down to the rack and pinion assy. There was another member that mentioned there is a spool valve that sticks on the rack and pinion that causes the problem. I don't believe this spool valve is accessible, and I could not find anyone who has replaced it. My steering issue is only at low idle turning right, and ok left. I'll be replacing my rack and pinion next week. I ordered one from Rock Auto, and went with the AC Delco unit for $395.57, which includes a $100.00 core charge. You can search on the forum on how to replace the rack and pinion assy. A few members have replaced it. Bye for now and good luck with your steering problem.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried to do a back flush

Thanks for the info Dave. I'm pretty much figuring on a rack replacement too. Last night I tried to do a pressure back flush on the rack by pulling the return line and pressure lines from the pump and trying to force fluid back through the return. There must be a check valve built in or something, because I could only get a little fluid through at about 40 PSI. It's not back together yet to see if by some miracle it got fixed. The stuck spool makes sense, the strange thing is that I would expect more reports of it. My TB only has 88K MI. and has not been abused at all (bought new). My big decision is to go rebuilt rack or used... I can get a 50K used one for $150. Since it doesn't seem like this is a major issue across the board, maybe I can go used and just do a really good system flush to prevent a repeat occurance. Not looking forward to pulling it though, the northeast winters make everything pretty rusty under there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The AC Delco rack and pinion that I ordered is remanufactured, and I believe that's the way to go. Buying a used one from a junk yard could be a crap-shoot and there's no warranty (usually). It sounds like yours is worse than mine. I purchased my TB new also, and it only has 54K miles. Good luck and have a nice day.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts