Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... here's the scoop. I have never had any steering issues but the other day I had some fun doing a few do-nuts in an icy parking lot with my 6 yr old.:woot: I guess I wasn't thinking and turned it all the way against the stops a couple of times while revving it up pretty good.

I drove 15 minutes or so getting home and then I noticed that my steering was hard at low RPMs. I kind of dealt with that for a couple of short trips and it gradually got worse needing higher RPMs for the power steering to kick in. By the next day it stopped working completely.:worried:

No obvious leak, fluid level seems OK. The pump hasn't locked up or thrown the belt.

Could the pump fail without leaking or locking up? Could it be anything else?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Yep, the pump is gone. :cry: It's a common problem in these trucks, every winter there's a few guys writing about this from hot dogging in the snow. What happens is when you spin around the pump starves for fluid and runs dry. Combine that with the high revs and being pinned to the stop and it's a recipe for failure. Do a search for power steering failure and you'll see.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
43 Posts
Thats sucks man, but if you need a new power steering pump for sure I have one for sale. Its off my 07 4.2 im not to sure if it fits your year though.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
Thats sucks man, but if you need a new power steering pump for sure I have one for sale. Its off my 07 4.2 im not to sure if it fits your year though.
The year isn't a concern nor the engine size, it's that he has an XUV and you have a SWB model. I know they use a different length belt not sure if the pumps are the same though, maybe someone else knows(?).

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I need to slap a new pump on it. I appreciate the opinions and the offer for the pump.

I tried cross referencing numbers from the 07 and 04 on rockauto.com. Some of the numbers matched up but there were a couple that were different for extended wheel base. I'm just going to order one off the website.

:thx

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
60 Posts
Its not that hard to replace though your will have to tackle it from below, through the right wheel well and from above. I don't know if TV has a how-to article but I have seen instructions elsewhere on the web, just do a search. I also know I wouldn't tackle that job today with 2 inches of snow out there. Though I will be taking the Envoy out.

I will not lock the steering wheel against the stops, I will not lock the steering wheel against the stops, I will not lock the steering wheel against the stops...

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a new pump ($60) from rockauto.com and a pulley removal set ($20) from harbor freight. I'm all fixed up.:thumbsup:

I tried hammering on that pulley for a while then thought I better go get the right tool. I was lucky I didn't mess it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts