Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I wanna say thanks to Blazin_Trails for the textured paint idea. I painted the front bowtie, the two bowties on the side molding, and the back of the mirrors. I also removed the bowties from the center caps (after losing one) and painted them directly on instead(different paint). Sorry for the terrible lighting of the pics, it's not my camera. It's darker and looks much better in person. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Banned
2006 chevy
1,659 Posts
First off, I wanna say thanks to Blazin_Trails for the textured paint idea.
:thumbsup:

I painted the front bowtie, the two bowties on the side molding, and the back of the mirrors. I also removed the bowties from the center caps (after losing one) and painted them directly on instead(different paint).
If I had the bowties on the side molding, they would be getting painted next. I might do the center caps (I've got an idea for the paint :x),and mirrors. How did you do the mirrors?

It's darker and looks much better in person. What do you think?
:iagree: This paint does look better in person. Looks good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks everybody!!

:thumbsup:
How did you do the mirrors?
I took them off and washed them twice with soap,water, and a sponge. Let them completely dry. The instructions on the can say to use an ammonia based cleaner or paint thinner depending on the surface. I should have used the ammonia based cleaner but I only had paint thinner nearby, so I just did one quick wipe of the mirror covers with a rag and some paint thinner. If you use paint thinner, don't put it directly on the mirror cover itself or rub to hard or to long, the plastic could start to melt.:nono: Then I put a couple coats on, one at a time.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
45 Posts
How'd you paint the emblems on the side molding? Those two, and all four wheels still have gold and i want it gone!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How'd you paint the emblems on the side molding? Those two, and all four wheels still have gold and i want it gone!
The molding emblems just pop out. I'm not sure if they were glued on or if the silver film underneath (yes it's silver not gold) acts like a double sided tape. I used a exacto knife with the blade broken in half to remove them. It had more surface area for prying them off. If you do it, pry them off easy going around all four sides a little at a time. It's pretty tight between the molding and the bowtie. I broke the first bowtie in half by prying from one side.:bonk: I had to super glue it back together and smooth the surface by removing the excess glue. I removed the silver film from the molding and the bowties. I cleaned the bowties and painted them with a textured paint for plastic from Krylon. Then I used an adhesive for moldings to stick them back on after they dried.

As for the bowties on the center caps, I had lost one so I decided to take them all off. I cleaned all the adhesive off the center caps and lightly sanded the bowtie indent on the center cap. Then I taped it off, painted and cleared them. This was done long before the other bowties so it was a different paint. I guess if you still have all 4 of your center cap bowties you can just paint them and stick them back on instead of painting them directly onto the caps like me. I can't remember if they were stuck on like the molding bowties or if they had some double sided tape.

It's a very simple and cheap mod and makes the truck look much better. Just take your time removing the bowties (especially the ones on the molding) and you should be just fine. Good luck!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts