Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new on this website and I'm hoping to find an answer to my problem. This weekend my low beams just stopped working. My high beams are fine. If I leave the high beams on the lights will come on automatically like they are supposed to, but only the brights.

Also, for a couple of weeks there is a ticking noise come from the front of the car. It starts at idle and lasts for less than a minute and then stops.

If anyone has an answer I would appreciate it. I'm hoping it won't be expensive to fix.

Thanks for this forum. I've already seen some very interesting information here.
:grouphug:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Low beams have a fuse for each side and a shared relay. Get into the front fuse block, and interchange black relays 45 and 46. If you have a bad relay 46 for the low beams, the electric fan clutch may quit working for a bit, but that won't hurt anything for a few minutes.

The ticking is likely the fan clutch. Remove relay 45 altogether for a few minutes on a cold start and see if the noise goes away. The fan clutches (run a search and read for a half hour or so) are a very, very high failure rate item, especially previous to a redesign in 2005. If you're not overheating, then it's still working OK, but you might want to save up or anticipate it dying in a year. How fast is the ticking? Once a second? Your vehicle may also benefit from a dealer reflash of the computer that addresses this issue and also low AC cooling at initial start-up. Some dealers charge a fair price for this and others use it to send their kids though dental school.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
welcome loriegood...
The roadie is right on..... try what he says.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Relay

Thanks, the relay was the fix for the headlights. Now I'm trying to find one for a reasonable price... Any ideas? GM Parts direct want 25 plus s/h...

As for the fan clutch, it ticks about once a second... but not constantly...

Must start saving...

Thanks for your help!!

P.S. Is there an after market replacement for the headlight relay? I'm having trouble finding one at Kragen, Napa, etc...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Its aftermarket replacement is an Airtex 1R1944, but for some dumb reason some parts store's software doesn't seem to know it. And other ones just don't stock it. Sigh...

Oh, and it isn't cheap anywhere. $25 is a good deal. Usually it's $28-38. Dealers can attempt to charge over $50 for it. It's "special".

You might try asking for the Chevy SSR low beam relay. Same idiot GM design team worked on that puppy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!!

I've been scanning websites to find an answer to why the low beams in my 03 Trailblazer LT just quit working when the fuse and bulbs were fine. It ended up being the relay. Thanks!! Lots of great info on this website! p.s. Thanks Roadie for the graphics. That made it a 2 minute job instead of a trip to the mechanic.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
May not be relay... this happend to me

This happend to me I had no headlights and was freaking out checked all the fuses for the lights wasn't that. My friend came over we pulled a couple of fuses found out that is was a fuse for power seats.... well mine doesn't have them. It was blown i replaced it and tada headlights and high beams worked again. JUST CHECK EACH FUSE!! Could save alot of agrivation. I know it did for me. Hope it helps.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
blazerboy - please let me know what the fuse location that you had a blown fuse in that was labeled for power seats, that really took out the headlights?

I think the only one labeled power seats is a circuit breaker, #8, under the rear seat. Headlights can be taken out by a problem with the BCM, which could be a rear fuse block issue, but it wouldn't be the power seat CB, more like fuses 4, 7, 32, 40, 50 or 52.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
I wish i knew exactly which fuse it was. I was freaking out. I know the fuse was under the hood and it wasn't my headlight fuse. My friend John who is a mechanic came over. He said just start pulling fuses under the hood so we did. We started with the obvious the two low beam fuses and the two high beam fuses. They were fine. We began to pull others out and found a blown fuse It was for something totally useless lol just wish i could remember what it was for. Everything in the truck works and worked fine at the time. We replaced that fuse and the headlights worked again high and low. I'm sorry i couldn't be more usefull but I understand what is happening to you as it happend to me. Check everyone under the hood it will only take about 10 min and can pay off. Let me know if you find anything I would love to see if this is a repeat problem. Good Luck :D

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
80 Posts
Thanks

I havent posted here for a while and I had my low beams doing the same thing! I had the same problem with all the dealers pulling the wrong part I finally found it for 40 bucks at auto zone able to be there tomorrow.

Everywhere else it was around the same price and it would take 3-5 days.....I work nights so I need head lights.......sigh.... oh well

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
131 Posts
yea! this thread was a big help!!

my relay chose to give out around sundown on day 2 of a 2 day road-trip... 2 hours from our destination. an hour worth of troubleshooting got us no-where, so I drove from Madison to Appleton, Wisconsin with my highbeams... p***ed off alota folks but got here safely...

I found not 1, but 2 relays from a wrecked 03 TB in a salvage yard... paid $5 for the pair, so now I have a spare...

·
Registered
131 Posts
HDM Relay (i.e. Headlights don't work) FREE PART!!!

I recently had the common issue of a failed Headlight Drive Module relay. I've managed to scrounge several spare relays while browsing the local junkyards for another part that I need. All of the junkyard operators sold me a pair for $2-5, and one guy even let me take them when I pulled out my credit card since I didnt have cash...

so.. What am I gonna do with these extra relays? I'm gonna keep a spare one or two for me, and the rest are for Trailvoy.com members. If you need one of these relays, send me a PM with your address and I'll send ya one as long as I have a supply.

Roll safely!!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
Low beams have a fuse for each side and a shared relay. Get into the front fuse block, and interchange black relays 45 and 46. If you have a bad relay 46 for the low beams, the electric fan clutch may quit working for a bit, but that won't hurt anything for a few minutes.

The ticking is likely the fan clutch. Remove relay 45 altogether for a few minutes on a cold start and see if the noise goes away. The fan clutches (run a search and read for a half hour or so) are a very, very high failure rate item, especially previous to a redesign in 2005. If you're not overheating, then it's still working OK, but you might want to save up or anticipate it dying in a year. How fast is the ticking? Once a second? Your vehicle may also benefit from a dealer reflash of the computer that addresses this issue and also low AC cooling at initial start-up. Some dealers charge a fair price for this and others use it to send their kids though dental school.

I am now having my low beams go out intermittently then come back on after I get out and slam the door or something. Even went back on after I popped up the metal piece that hold the headlight in place. I've checked all my fuses, looks good, but for a problem that is intermittent, could this still be the relay? By the way, my high beams work everytime. I had to use my highbeams to get home from taking my daughter tricker or treating tonight, lots of upset people. 03 TB LS Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
sounds exactly like a relay starting to do bad...

my recommendation would be head down to your local salvage yard or pick-a-part and see if you can find one in a wreck. (i've found the fuse box in the back seat of several TB/Envoy hulks...)

or.. I still have 1 or 2 spares available, see my previous post...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
sounds exactly like a relay starting to do bad...

my recommendation would be head down to your local salvage yard or pick-a-part and see if you can find one in a wreck. (i've found the fuse box in the back seat of several TB/Envoy hulks...)

or.. I still have 1 or 2 spares available, see my previous post...

OK will do, just checked out Autozones website, it's $14.99 here part # 19264, hope it the right one looks different from the one that Roadie pictured, or I'll try the wrecking yard. What years would be the same parts, I think it's 02-04 TB/Envoy? Thank you very much!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
OK will do, just checked out Autozones website, it's $14.99 here part # 19264, hope it the right one looks different from the one that Roadie pictured,
All years are the same for relays and such. Be VERY CAREFUL looking stuff up on the Autozone site. The right black covered relay for the LOW BEAMS is:

Duralast / Relay - Headlamp
$39.99

The Duralast 19264 you found is the gray one used in many other locations such as HIGH BEAM, but it's not the special solid state black one used for the low beam or fan clutch.

Gray:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts