Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am stumped. I posted a while back for some help when my headlights quit working. I didn't get any answers but the headlights began working again. This time I am pleading for help.

My headlights are not coming on at all. the dash lights, headlight indicator, parking lights, tail lights and fog lights are coming on with no problem. I drove to work thismorning in the dark with no headlights.

I have checked all the fuses to see for any blown fuses, all are good.

A bad relay? wiring problem?

My setup is bone stock.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
I hope you at least drove with your fog lights and or high beams on when you can .. driving in the dark is very risky.

Do you have a test light to ensure power is getting to the bulb socket?

Check the wireing for burnt, frayed wires?

If highbeams work I doubt it is the headlight switch ..

Silly question number 1 so please forgive me for asking .. did you try new bulbs?

All I can think of .. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Drove to work with the fog lights on.

Bone stock, no aftermarket bulbs. I have not had a chance to check the bulbs yet. If both bulbs burnt out at the same time I will be suprised.

this did happen once before, the headlights went out and I couldn't do anything to get them back on. I parked in the garage for a couple of hours and went back out later, lights worked fine.... THat was last time...

I just noticed them not working on my way to work thismorning. I will try them this afternoon when I go home....

Side note: it is raining this morning.... Possible moisture short somewhere?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Its going to be your headlight plug(connector). More than likely they have burned up. I had to replace mine out. I bought hi-temp replacements for mine after the originals fried. Just go to Oreillys or AutoZone and get the blue ones, they are a little bit of a tight fit but they work very well. During the day, turn your daytime running lights off so you dont risk burning up any more. Dont get bulbs over i 50watts, Just do 50 to be safe.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks,

Ill try that. I didn't think to check that. I will update this afternoon when I have had a chance to look.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
surprissed no one has mentioned it.
when this happens- pop the hood- and either reseat the headlight relay--- if that doesnt bring them back up--- remove it- and also remove the relay for the fan clutch- and swap them.

they use the same relay- if they come back on with the fan clutch relay- its time to get a new relay for the headlights.

But right now- go look at your manual- in there look for the diagram on the fuses/relay locations under the hood.
figureo out how to remove the lid- and find the relays-- so that when you need to fix this on the side of the highway- you know what to do.....

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THanks rbarrios, I thought It might be a relay problem over what bubster020 said about the actuall plugs being melted... I am gonna check both of these possibilities out but having it happen going from perfect functioning headlights to none and back again once before tells me its gotta have something to do with the relay. I mean if it is the plug melting, I would think the headlights would flicker or something before completely going out.

Never the less, both suggestions are great and I will be on top of them here as soon as I get off work.

Will let yall know.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay, so I got in my truck to go home from work and I had headlights...

I got home and looked for the headlamp relay... am I blind?

Headlamp High relay, found it!
Headlamp lo relay, Cant find it....

I can't even find the freakin fan clutch relay....

Still stumped...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The Low Beam relay is confusingly labeled "HDM" for Headlight Driver Module. It's black, not gray. And right next to it is the black fan relay module. Be careful of the orientation, since they're backwards from each other.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
421 Posts
I can almost guarantee you it is the relay. They are only sold at the dealer for $50 I believe. The tech that sold me mine had sold 100 in the last year. I would say that should be considered a recall or be able to buy at a auto parts store and not get so freakin raped.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rodie,
I was closing in on those two relays. The picture is awsome.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I can almost guarantee you it is the relay. They are only sold at the dealer for $50 I believe.
Ummm, you missed my post in another thread ten days ago:

That relay (15016745) is dealer list price of about $45. gmpartsdirect.com has it for $25. Make sure you try cross-referencing it with Airtex 1R1944. Rockauto.com (one of my favorite vendors) has that for $28.

The picture is awsome.
You're welcome. I photoshopped it just for you. Really.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts