Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Envoy 4.2L I-6 Radio - standard with CD player (Not Bose)
Standard HVAC manulal controls
No Air from dash vents, radio only from right front speaker

Here’s my problem. Came out Saturday morning to go fishing. Started up and drove off – then realized the radio was only coming out of the right front speaker. Verified by adjusting the fader and balance controls. After fishing I searched this forum and found that it is a common occurrence and just needed to reset the radio by disconnecting the battery. Did that and the radio came back normal. However, now I did not have any air blowing from the dash vents. Searched this problem and found it is also a common issue – the mode actuator. Dealer was open so I pick one up (yes, I know I paid too much but I had time and it was 92F!!) Installed the new mode actuator with some difficulty – but successful. But I did not have complete air location control – the dash vents now blow all the time with only a slight change when turning the selector to floor or defrost.

Sunday: Left for church and again the radio was only playing out of the right front speaker. After church I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected – but the radio did not reset and is still only playing from the one speaker. I removed the actuator to find out why I only have air coming from my dash vents. I removed the actuator and watched it – it does not move. I found it was jammed all the way to one side. I opened it and was able to reset the gears. I plugged it in and watched what is does: it moves to one extreme and then moves to the other extreme (to find the limits) – but on the 2nd extreme it never stops and jams. Since it cannot determine the limits it just sits in the one spot.

Turns out, this is what the original actuator is doing too.

So what’s up? Why is my radio screwed up and why won’t it reset? Did whatever messed up the radio also mess up the electronic in my actuators?

This vehicle has no aftermarket items. The only recent repair was a new PCM completed at the dealer2 months ago.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,578 Posts
It is not a good idea to run the actuator while it is not installed. Your original actuator may be OK. When HVAC functions do not work correctly after a battery power interruption, a recalibration of the HVAC is needed.

This done with key on, set all controls and switches to Off or CCW positions, turn key off and pull HVAC fuses #36 & 39 in rear fuse box, wait about a minute, then reinstall fuses. Turn key to RUN (don't need to start engine), cdo not touch any HVAC controls for at least 90 seconds. This completes the recalibration.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi EnvoyBoy2004.
I put in the original actuator and went through your process. I got the radio back but not the vent controls. It's on dash vents on all settings, no floor, and defrost in the defrost mode with dash vents.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Monday Morning Update

This morning the radio is once again only coming out of the right front speaker. It was working ok yesterday after I pulled and re-inserted the HVAC fuses. But after sitting overnight it goes back to the problem mode.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
988 Posts
I think your radio issue is a flakey speaker . GM used cheap $5 speakers in these cars and they are complete garbage . I have replaced all 4 with Pioneers in my 08 Ascender and its been fine ever since . The actuators are known problem if you pull the battery on these vehicles , some people get away with and others it causes issues like you are seeing .

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What size speakers

What size are the speaker? Maybe 6"? Looks like the front and rear are the same (just peeked inside the door cards).

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
988 Posts
I believe they were 6 1/2" speakers for both front and back for a non Bose system.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Radio: I replaced the speakers in each door - and have had no problems in the past week.

HVAC: I received another mode actuator. I now need to determine the correct position of the vent door gear so it will be in the correct position when I install the new actuator.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

This is about 2 months later. I was successful getting the mode actuator in correctly. Studied the door position and the old actuator for about 30 minutes and finally got it right.

I also replaced all of the door speakers and the radio is working great. Even with the really cheap replacement speakers ($28 for 4!) it sounds much better and all the speakers work.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts