Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice mechanic, just been working on my cars. I just bought an 03 trailblazer with 86K miles. I bought it on a cold day so I didn't notice the AC wasn't working until later. I have the sliders (manual control) for the AC.

I put two 24 oz of r134a in. When I was filling it the AC was blowing ice cold air. The next day, nothing. I hooked up my gauge (came with the r134) and it read 0 pressure on the low side. Logically that said leak. Unfortunately I was unable to find any flourescence (the refrigerent had the dye) on the system I was able to get to. Is there a common place these things leak? Any suggestions as to where I should look?

With the help of previous threads, I was able to figure out that I have a bad fan clutch: clicking sound at cold start up that disappears when I pull the plug. Could that cause zero pressure? I am probably gonna replace the clutch anyway but I would like to know if that will likely fix the problem or not.

I would love to check the compressor but don't know how or even where it is. (no owners manual or other reference material to go by).

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
I put two 24 oz of r134a in. When I was filling it the AC was blowing ice cold air. The next day, nothing. I hooked up my gauge (came with the r134) and it read 0 pressure on the low side. Logically that said leak. Unfortunately I was unable to find any flourescence (the refrigerent had the dye) on the system I was able to get to. Is there a common place these things leak? Any suggestions as to where I should look?
Did you check the lines going back to the rear unit? From what I've read that is common area for leaks in the lwb trucks.

I was able to figure out that I have a bad fan clutch: clicking sound at cold start up that disappears when I pull the plug. Could that cause zero pressure?
No they are unrelated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply. I will check it out.

Any idea how to check if the compresser is working properly?

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
thanks for the quick reply. I will check it out.

Any idea how to check if the compresser is working properly?
I would say since the system worked properly immediately after the charge, the compressor is fine. When the system looses its charge, the compressor won't turn on (so it won't burn up). That being said, its best not to try to force the compressor on (bypassing the a/c clutch relay) without a charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
just checked the back end lines. Found evidence of 2 leaking joints in the lines. I think I just found the problem. I am taking it in for other work this weekend so I will just add that to the list. At least I have an idea of what is going on.

Now about that clutch...I've seen the other threads. Looks like its gonna be kinda like fun but different.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
213 Posts
AC Leak

I am having the same problem with my AC.Last summer I got it to work by recharging the system,but this spring it is low in charge again.I was hoping some one had a picture or schematic of the lines,so I will know where to look for leaks.Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.:thx

·
Registered
213 Posts
AC leak

Climbed under the truck yesterday while on ramps and used a mechanics mirror,but did not see any leaks.I made an appointment to have it tested as I will have to pull vacuum on it to refill any ways and I dont have a vacuum pump.I suspect the rear system for the leak,but every thing visually was OK.I hate not having AC,just haft to bite the bullet I guess.

CARS ARE LIKE WOMEN,THEY ARE NOT HAPPY,UNLESS YOU ARE SPENDING MONEY ON THEM.:crackup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
AC or DC

Had my truck in for AC leak test.Two hours and $115 later dealer says that I need to replace the rear high pressure AC line for $1200.They did not want to repair or cap it.Only thing good they did do was recommend a local AC shop.I took it to AC Niagara in St.Catharines ON.Canada.They retested and capped the lines to the rear at my request.When I went to dealer,I asked if they could fix AC as I was sure I had a leak in the rear air.The service rep led me to believe that they could fix it.Total waste of time and money,could have used that money to fix my rr window regulator that just broke.I am waiting on an answer from GM complaint line as to the dealer wasting my time.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I am waiting on an answer from GM complaint line as to the dealer wasting my time.
Perhaps the trailvoy member GM Customer Service rep can arrange a refund after the dealer misled you. It's pretty well known around here that dealers aren't empowered (or equipped?) to repair parts that they can otherwise swap out. Independent mechanics have different rules and tools, it seems.

I used to think it was a warranty issue, since a dealer's repair should be Mr. Goodwrench certified for some period of time. However, after hearing many stories where a dealer's troubleshooting missed the mark, and they spent the customer's time and money on fixes that did not fix the problem's root cause, without a guarantee or a refund on the troubleshooting process, that idea just doesn't hold up anymore.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Maybe that's why it's not called Mr. Good-diagnostician. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just got an email from the dealer asking how I liked my last visit to their dealership:undecided.I said that charging $115.26 to tell me what I already knew was not my idea of fun.I could have spent the two hours fixing my RR window instead. I voiced my concerns and informed them that they should be hearing from GM complaints rep.We will see what happens of this.Maybe they will fix my window for free.:excited:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Recalls

How does one find out if their are any bulletins or recalls on either the rear right window regulator or the rear AC line leaks.Seems to be a common problem,especially on these wiener dog trucks (LWB)? HELP :thx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts