Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone ever get nitrous installed on their 4.2? I was thinking of a 50-75 wet shot. I tried searching but could not find if anyone actually got a kit and got it working.

·
Registered
2009 non_gmt360 other
883 Posts
DO NOT, under any circumstances, use NOS on a stock 4.2. Or on a stock anything, for that matter. You will break something.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Should be fairly simple and straight forward with one exception -- I'm not sure if anyone has the throttle body adaptor plate. That might be a custom piece. No biggie, any machine shop, or even a decent home setup with a drill press could make the plate and use components from an already existing setup to finalize the install.

Make sure that you get a kit for something that has drive-by-wire also. It will take a "box" versus a throttle linkage setup to actuate the nitrous.

·
Banned
2007 chevy
4,644 Posts
DO NOT, under any circumstances, use NOS on a stock 4.2. Or on a stock anything, for that matter. You will break something.
:iagree:
i would be scared s**tless of blowing something in my TB or even myself up:worried:

·
Registered
26 Posts
i thought about doing a 75 shot i my truck i no plenny of people the ran a small shot on a stock motor and they did fine for a while my buddy had well over a 100,000 on his car with a 150 shot and his tranny went out first oh there should be some unaversal kits out there u can use. i say go for it and let me no how it goes. livin life scared wont get u anywere

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
31 Posts
Reasonable amounts of nitrous injected into a stock engine that is well maintained and properly in tune coupled with higher octane fuel shouldn't pose any problem. People tend to be afraid of it, but it's safe when used properly and all recommended precautions and requirements are met.

A problem appears when the supporting drivetrain components are built to handle only slightly more than the factory engine's output. Nitrous isn't just about a boost in horsepower; it also offers a substantial increase in torque output, and that's where things can start letting go.

I've used it plenty of times (on past vehicles) with great results.

·
Registered
2009 non_gmt360 other
883 Posts
i thought about doing a 75 shot i my truck i no plenny of people the ran a small shot on a stock motor and they did fine for a while my buddy had well over a 100,000 on his car with a 150 shot and his tranny went out first oh there should be some unaversal kits out there u can use. i say go for it and let me no how it goes. livin life scared wont get u anywere
Living life broke because you need a new engine won't get you anywhere, either.

Even the import street racers are getting away from NOS because it's too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. And those are guys with strong as hell cast-iron blocks and lots of trick aftermarket rods and pistons. Aluminum blocked engines will not fare well.

Everything has to be just right when dealing with NOS, all the way down to the oil ring end gaps. And Chebby sure as hell did not factor in NOS when designing these engines.

I just personally don't think it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
31 Posts
No commercial engine manufacturer factors in aftermarket power adders, yet the aftermarket thrives. The only drawbacks I can think of with nitrous are power that's not constantly available and having to refill a bottle. I stand by my statement that a properly tuned engine using a kit designed for that application will work just fine.

Get greedy with it and things will break, but the same can be said for adding too much boost from a blower or turbo setup. Nitrous is very safe. It's when people apply it to engine that are in poor shape, add too much, don't tune accordingly, etc., that things go wrong.

I have a 1987 Mustang LX with a stroked Windsor motor (408). It's an 11:1 aluminum-headed and custom cammed engine that makes just shy of 600 horsepower on motor on pump 93 octane gas. In a car like this, adding nitrous is a little more difficult. There are other factors to consider such as torque converter stall speed, ring and pinion ratio, tire height, etc. When I get this car dialed in (it's presently in the body shop), I can almost guarantee (even though I say it was built to run N/A) it will see a 200 shot of spray. It wasn't "built" for nitrous like some of my racing buddies' engines (400+ in spray and 8 second cars), but I'll take the proper precautions (over ambitious fuel supply via secondary pump, higher octane fuel, appropriate timing adjustments and carb jetting) and the spray the pig into the low nines.

I would call Nitrous Works or Nitrous Oxide Systems and ask them if they offer a kit. If they do, and if your truck is in good mechanical condition, I'd buy it if that's the route you wish to go.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The big deal with Nitrous is that it adds significant quantities of oxygen to the mix, effectively leaning out the system unless additional fuel is also added.

It is the lean-burn issue that is most of the time responsbile for "burning down" engines.

Nitrous added in safe amounts with the proper fuel enrichment (and perhaps a timing retard for big sprays) will not really harm any decent engine.

Moderation is the key... Either build the engine to handle huge spray loads or stick with a moderate spray. I'd start with a 50 hp kit on the 4.2 and take it from there.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Craig and I have talked a little about this and I think a 50-75 shot coupled with some tune changes should be ok. Definitely start small and work up, Craig you're going to need a WBO2 first though man. And I would get a WBO2 guage too so you know what your AFR is before and during the spray.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
Whoever says no nitrous on a stock engine obviously has NO IDEA what it does or how it works.

First off, "NOS" is a brand, not a generalized term for nitrous oxide.

2nd, if you do it properly, it will have NO ILL AFFECTS! You *MIGHT* be able to get away with a light 50 shot of nitrous if you have a tuner and run your car a bit rich, but I wouldnt go that way.

You can get a wet kit, and run one of those which will be perfectly safe for just about any car (within certain means). If you went with a 60 shot in a wet kit, it wouldnt hurt a thing if properly tuned. All it is essentially is a short burst of "turbo" or "supercharger" and if supplied w/ the fuel, it wont hurt a thing.

I wouldnt suggest it if you have no idea how it works or what it is though.

On that note, I am debating a WBO2 like Scarab stated w/ a small turbo setup still and run a seperate controller like the old days :D Everyone is saying you cant tune these things, how the hell do you think they tuned for turbos back in the day on EFI?

·
Registered
2009 non_gmt360 other
883 Posts
I love this

Everyone is saying "if properly tuned this" and "if properly tuned that".

And what happens IF that tune fawks up? Melted pistons? Broken rods?

Whatever. Shoot it with nitrous. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I love this

You are demonstrating that you don't understand what is meant by "tune."

The PCM can be tuned to richen the mixture at certain RPM levels, and under certain conditions. Once tuned (burned into the memory of the PCM) it will do this every time no matter what.

There is no way for it to "fawk up." If the mixture is not made richer by the addition of extra fuel, then yes, you can melt a piston top. Probably never break a rod unless you allow an over-rev, but again the "tune" stops that with a built in rev-limiter, and that part is already there.

Before jumping to conclusions about what nitrous can or can't do, spend some time and get to know something about it -- what it does, how it does what it does, and the sort of engine controls that should be in place before running it.

Then, perhaps, you'll understand that it is really no different than someone adding a CAI, a cat back exhaust, a cowl hood with ram air, and an adjustment of the PCM for better performance. Just more oxygen going into the cylinders with more fuel to burn, at wide-open-throttle, offering about a 50 hp increase, which this engine will easily handle.

·
Registered
gmc
3,112 Posts
I love this

hey will...whats up i know u work like 10 hours a day building motors im sure u have no clue how they work..lol:dielaugh::dielaugh::D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
160 Posts
a 50 shot isnt even going to need a tune. the computer will make up the difference. thats the advantage of efi. i ran a 150 shot on my beretta with a stock 3.1 for 4 years every weekend. never hurt a damn thing. also run a 150 in my z28. once you get up to a shot like a 150 you should upgrade your fuel pump though

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
346 Posts
What ifs? Are we really going to talk about what if's? This guy asked about nitrous. You go off on a rant about how "NOS" wont work. He didnt ask about "NOS", and he didnt need someone telling him it cannot work when it easily can be done.

Just because its not normal or mainstream doesnt mean its not possible.

And if I remember correctly, you cant just thorw a 50 shot on our engines. IIRC, the injectors run at like 9x% duty cycle already and I think a 50 shot might be a bit much even with a tune without larger injectors. I might be wrong though.

Regardless, its no different than any other mod. Things CAN happen. What happens if the CAI someone installed comes loose because they didnt check it for a year? What happens when something gets sucked in his engine?

Sounds dumb doesnt it :duh:

·
Registered
2009 non_gmt360 other
883 Posts
You are demonstrating that you don't understand what is meant by "tune."

The PCM can be tuned to richen the mixture at certain RPM levels, and under certain conditions. Once tuned (burned into the memory of the PCM) it will do this every time no matter what.

There is no way for it to "fawk up." If the mixture is not made richer by the addition of extra fuel, then yes, you can melt a piston top. Probably never break a rod unless you allow an over-rev, but again the "tune" stops that with a built in rev-limiter, and that part is already there.

Before jumping to conclusions about what nitrous can or can't do, spend some time and get to know something about it -- what it does, how it does what it does, and the sort of engine controls that should be in place before running it.

Then, perhaps, you'll understand that it is really no different than someone adding a CAI, a cat back exhaust, a cowl hood with ram air, and an adjustment of the PCM for better performance. Just more oxygen going into the cylinders with more fuel to burn, at wide-open-throttle, offering about a 50 hp increase, which this engine will easily handle.
Yeah....ok.

Hey, I give up. I'm sure the experts can properly set up a NOS (and yes, I'm using the term in a generic matter, just like 95% of the rest of the world does) on your engine. I wish the OP maybe good years of perfect running.

tjgjkt said:
What ifs? Are we really going to talk about what if's? This guy asked about nitrous. You go off on a rant about how "NOS" wont work. He didnt ask about "NOS", and he didnt need someone telling him it cannot work when it easily can be done.
I never said it wouldn't work. I said it would be a bad idea.

hey will...whats up i know u work like 10 hours a day building motors im sure u have no clue how they work..lol:dielaugh::dielaugh::D

See ya in Iowa!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
Reasonable amounts of nitrous injected into a stock engine that is well maintained and properly in tune coupled with higher octane fuel shouldn't pose any problem. People tend to be afraid of it, but it's safe when used properly and all recommended precautions and requirements are met.

A problem appears when the supporting drivetrain components are built to handle only slightly more than the factory engine's output. Nitrous isn't just about a boost in horsepower; it also offers a substantial increase in torque output, and that's where things can start letting go.

I've used it plenty of times (on past vehicles) with great results.
:iagree: w/ todd and glfredrick

ok heres the deal: nitrous is totally safe
whether you have a stock vehicle or a fully built motor nitrous is a great choice to add a little more power.

first off some dont kno the difference between a wet kit and dry kit. a wet has a seperate fuel source strictly for the nitrous but a dry kit has to rely on the stock fuel system to add enough fuel. thats when you have to worry about things like bigger injectors. if you have a mild wet kit you can leave that other stuff alone. i would reccomend a wet shot.

now as durability is concerned moderation and number of uses is the key. a 50-75 shot would be nothin for a stock motor in good shape. ive seen 100k+ mile motors using 50-150 shots with no problem. im also a big diesel fan and ive seen 1000rwhp diesel pickups runnin 200 shot or so on stock internals. granted diesels are built stronger but the fact remains you shouldnt have an issue as long as you dont use too often.

also about the aluminum block coment thats not really an issue either. if you overjuice your motor the block may be the least of your worries unless a chain reaction of breaking parts causes damage to it but that depends on how much you overshoot it.

for the tb/envoy i would, like others have mentioned, start out with a 50 or 60 shot and go from there especially with how little is known of what these motors can do. my suggestion would be build your own kit. what my plans were for my 120k mile Sierra was to buy a cheap throttle body spacer to use as a plate and tap out a hole on each side to run the jets. the spacer is already made to fit so you dont have to worry about buildin a custom altho i dont kno how much a custom one would cost. :m2:

anyway good luck and happy juicin! :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts