Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'd like to start by saying hi to all from OHIO! After 10 years in a ZR2 Blazer I took the plunge into a TB I couldn't pass up. It's not really my style and it needs some personalization. Id like to find the biggest and best tire and wheel combo in lieu of spacers I can come up with. I looked at spacers and the price vs. new wheels I just assume find some wheels. I also looked at some suspension lifts but one thing at a time. After all the reading here my head is spinning. There seems to be a couple of off road "Guru's" here that I hope can point me in the right direction.

PS My ZR2 went 200K and still strong and still mostly original. That truck saw all the coasts, the Grand Canyon and the top of Mt Evans! I hope I can get 75% that from my 05 TB.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
well simply enough the best thing you can do for a moderate sided wheel and tire package is get a lift, and do 32's with rims of your chosing... you can search offroad wheels but there aren't many at all, best choice is to do a 16-17 inch rims with the right back spacing, and then put on 32's or 33's... so with a decent wheel you could do the lift wheels and tires for under 1500... also if you lift replace the front shocks! that was my big mistake. you can get wheel adapters that could be worth it... on our classifieds sections theres a set of procomp 16's for 250, but you'll need adapters... you get what you pay for, but a cheap adapter is possible to get... good oones come from the one and only fred at wheel adapter.com!

if your just looking for the biggest tires, 30.5 is all you can fit as of stock...

actually i'm looking to get rid of my 30.5's so i can upgrade... if you want them i'll sell em to you cheap

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
first off welcome. we do have a few offrad gurus around here. basically the biggest lift you can really do is 2.5 from suspension maxx. the other option is bds 2 inch. you can also do a 2 inch bds body lift or a custom 3 inch. but basically that will only help for tire clearence no ground clearence. biggest tires you may want to check out the ultimate fit thread
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=33809
31" tire is about limit with wheel spacers. with out anything (spacer,lift) your kinda limited to tire height. but search around there is alot of info sitting around in here.
*and foosh must have been typing at the same time as me lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont understand the spacing cant I just buy the correct wheels?

I really don't mind spending money on wheels and would just assume do so vs.spacers. I just don't understand what wheel spacing to shop for??? in other words if I have stock wheels and 1.5 inch spacers what is that equal to in a aftermarket wheel? I was thinking of the 265/7516 as a size

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
sorry man i beat you to it! and yeah everything is limited with these trucks due to very little pioneering by aftermarket companies:hopeless:hopeless :sadcry::sadcry: its quite depressing! so we do what we can and do it well

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
as blizin said check out the tire fitment thread that he has a link to... wheels just need to have the right offset... something like 25mm backspacing or something... i'm not sure so do a little research for yourself

·
Registered
203 Posts
best bet is to get spacers/adapters. if you get wheels spacer may i suggest getting the ones which change your pattern from 6x5 to 6.5.5. which is full size chevy pattern. it opens up your options greatly! and gives you clearence neeeded from the upper ball joint when running a bigger tire.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i agree but he has to realize as long as he's not lifted he's limited to 30.5's even with the adapters and wheels

·
Registered
203 Posts
ahh but i beg to differ lol i actually had my wheels and tires on at stock height with very minimum rubbing issues. and pics for proof lol. (yes its a shameless chance to post pics haha)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "Will fit chart" says I can use that size or I assume the equal in a 17. Just dont understand the wheel part??:bonk::bonk:

·
Registered
203 Posts
best way to figure it out is to use a tire size converter if you dont understand that as much
. http://www.redrock4x4.com/tech/tire_calc.php
convert your metric size to standard and vise versa. rim size is mainly personal choice how ever i chose a 16 inch rim because i wanted more sidewall for my tire.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
ahh but i beg to differ lol i actually had my wheels and tires on at stock height with very minimum rubbing issues. and pics for proof lol. (yes its a shameless chance to post pics haha)

Hey....just out of curiosity......do you actually go off roading with your TB or is it just for looks?? Reason I ask is because looking at your wheel wells them tires are thick.........just wondering:undecided

·
Registered
203 Posts
nothing major as of yet but yes it sees off road. that picture was before the lift too so i have more room then that actually shows. plus i did some trimming of the plastic so i could get more movement with out hitting or rubbing

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
oh its because of how the ball joint behind the wheel is set up, and blazin, if you took it offroad with those tires you'd know why you can't use em without a lift... i've put my tb through its paces, and even with the 30.5 i found a rubber mark on my fender... which means with those beautiful 31.5's i believe they are, you'd ram tham so hard into the metal fender that you'd mess up the fender and you'd tear up the tires...

anyways the ball joint is the issue... you can either get wheel spacers or wheels with different offsets to push the wheel further from the ball joint adding room so that you can use larger tires

·
Registered
203 Posts
oh its because of how the ball joint behind the wheel is set up, and blazin, if you took it offroad with those tires you'd know why you can't use em without a lift... i've put my tb through its paces, and even with the 30.5 i found a rubber mark on my fender... which means with those beautiful 31.5's i believe they are, you'd ram tham so hard into the metal fender that you'd mess up the fender and you'd tear up the tires...

anyways the ball joint is the issue... you can either get wheel spacers or wheels with different offsets to push the wheel further from the ball joint adding room so that you can use larger tires
hey wait a minute lol i never said i took it off road with out the lift just said i had the tires on with out a lift lol. but you are correct they would have torn up some stuff if i would have.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
h3ll i made the stock tires hit the fenders a couple times... yes i've had some fun offroad... and we should start doign more local offroad trips then going all the way to tecore... i mean i went recently with mario to the pine barrens which is about 2 hours from you:hijacked <= did it myself and i'll admitt it

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
If you are looking for aftermarket wheels there are a couple of us with aftermarkets with a backspace of +22 and +25 mm offset. Your wheel selection can grow a little if you do some shopping at jkmotorsports.com, thats where i got my wheels, they made the bolt pattern from a ford expedition to the 6x5 with inserts. Ive been wheeling with them on for about 2 months and lugs are still tight and no problems and i drive it daily.

And thats no wheel adapters with 265/70/17

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
yeah they'lll fit but i'm not sure if they'll give you the right offset, someone else will chime in shortly

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
nothing major as of yet but yes it sees off road. that picture was before the lift too so i have more room then that actually shows. plus i did some trimming of the plastic so i could get more movement with out hitting or rubbing
Makes sense.......since you have a lift......it looks good.....like them thick tires..gives it that aggressive look..........

1 - 20 of 48 Posts