Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I think the question is self-explanatory...

It's a (very) base 4x4 model 07 TrailBlazer LS, with no options as far as I can tell...(not even power seats!). Just the way I like it, not much to break :D I was suprised my wifey would let me buy it that way...

We bought it because it still had factory warranty left, and it is a GM Certified used vehicle...turns out it was a repo from another state on the Carfax report.

I had no idea there were mutliple axle ratios available until I read the towing section in the owner's manual...how do I figure out which one ours has? I tried the stickers on the door pillars-no dice :worried:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
There is a sticker when you open your glove box. It's on the inside of the door.
I believe these are the codes. Just look for one of these in the lists of codes.
GU6- 3.42
GT4- 3.73
GT5-4.10
G80- locking rear diff

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Well, you need to use the sticker on the glove box.

Then, search the site for the threads that discuss axle ratios (a lot of them).

There are 3 axles (I don't remember the RPO codes), when you find the 3 codes, one will match the axle in your truck.

BTW, we also have 2 differentials available.

EDIT: Craig got there first, but using the search function will turn up a lot of interesting info.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GU6- 3.42
GT4- 3.73
GT5-4.10
G80- locking rear diff

Drat! It's GU6...:mad:

Was hoping I could rent a U-Haul car hauler to get a full-size classic pickup (~3400 lbs) back up here from Texas, but looks like it ain't happenin' ,as 5,400 lbs is more than 5,200 lbs...(U-Haul's website says the empty weight of the car hauler is 2000 lbs).

At least the wife will get the best possible mileage hauling groceries and our kid around :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, we also have 2 differentials available.
As far as I can tell, a limited slip differential (rear only on the TrailBlazer?) is mostly useful for offroading? Or does it also give one benefits in towing?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The G80 can be more helpful than the 4 wheel drive at times. With 4 wheel drive there are times when all the traction can be on one wheel. With the G80 locking differential you will have at least two wheels driving.:m2:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
As far as I can tell, a limited slip differential (rear only on the TrailBlazer?) is mostly useful for offroading? Or does it also give one benefits in towing?
It's actually a "locker", rather than a posi type diff. Same end result, but different mechanics.

The G80 can be more helpful than the 4 wheel drive at times. With 4 wheel drive there are times when all the traction can be on one wheel. With the G80 locking differential you will have at least two wheels driving.:m2:
At times.

When you use a G80 (or any diff that prevents slippage between the axles), you need to be very careful that you don't lose lateral stability and slip sideways.
When on a side hill, and both rear wheels spin, the result is complete lose of traction (friction) and gravity will pull the truck sideways down the hill. With a non-locking (open diff), one wheel will spin (no traction/friction), but the other will maintain friction and keep the vehicle on the side hill.

In the 1st scenario, the G80 gives us 3 wheels (one front and two rear) with drive torque, but we fall sideways (this is how roadie damaged the rear drive-shaft) and get very stuck.

In the 2nd scenario, we have only 2 wheels (one front and one rear) and we probably get out because we don't fall sideways.

I have a G80, and only buy trucks with a posi, or a locker, but they can be very dangerous on ice and in 2wd. Learn how to drive them. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts
I have a G80, and only buy trucks with a posi, or a locker, but they can be very dangerous on ice and in 2wd. Learn how to drive them. Be careful out there.
^^^ I am recalling a few times this past winter when I had the poo scared outta me.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
So the g80 is a 3.73 with a locking diff?. i just found my window sticker and it says locking diff, 3.73 gears and in my glove box i see a g80 code

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
So the g80 is a 3.73 with a locking diff?.
Nope. G80 is the locking diff. Good to have. The three gear ratio choices are separate from the presence or absence of the G80. Run a search here to find the often-posted chart, or become familiar with all of your RPO codes by checking the list under the "Resources" pull-down menu.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Have to do my rear axle seals on a 2003 Envoy SLT. I could not find my build sheet so I called the dealer and told them what I had and they asked for the last 8 digits of the vin #87654321 . The agent told me that I have a G80 / posi-limmited slip diff in it. Just to make sure I called another one to verify and it was correct. $13.94 each.

Good guys here ....
Jason was very , very helpful.
Mike Juneau's Brookfield Buick GMC
13000 W Capitol Dr
Brookfield, WI 53005
(888) 869-4785

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
There was alot to read in there and im looking for 1 simple answer. My 07 TBLT has stabilitrak and both differentials lock in 4low. For bein such a pretty car, it can drive easily axle deep in my back yard.(that was an accident). Can anyone tell me what axles i have?

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
i have 2 salvage yard axles and need to know how to check the front diff gear ratio after its already installed. i believe i have to different gear ratios due to binding in 4x4 didnt have that problem prior to the diff installs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts