Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Quebec, Canada.

Like the title of this thread states, I'm a new member and a proud owner of a 2003 Oldsmobile Bravada.

Very nice SUV, very reliable, VERY comfortable. Has all the bells and whistles on it - except DVD player.

My wife and I purchased this SUV as the 2nd owners and it was to replace our aging '95 Land Rover. We were use to the comforts of the Disco but wanted a more reliable SUV for our winter driving.

We've had the Bravada for many years now and its not too bad in the winter as far as road handling - so long as the snow is not too deep. Once the snow gets over a foot or so, you just can't beat the security of the Land Rover.

Bravada does have ALL the comforts we like: leather heated seats, lumbar support, air suspension, Smarttrac ... sound system is not bad. Overall, a good purchase for us.

Now that the vehicle is 8 years old, we are starting to see some repairs, to be expected but parts are reasonable and available, compared to the LandRover. LR's parts are very expensive, hard to find and often need dealer assistance. Not so for the Bravada and that's what we want.

I'm a DIY'er : just finished trying to repair tailgate door latch. Managed to fix the tailgate window latch BUT the door latch is more difficult. Loads of rust back there. Door is fine - just the latch is rusted.

Nice to find a site that can help.

JohnMc

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
Welcome. Our Rainier is actually my wifes but the Bravada's for sale locally are almost pocket change at this point. I see them with lower miles than the other TV's in nice shape in the 5-6 k range. I wouldn't mind having one to replace my 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan if it ever finally dies. I just saw one while driving into work today.

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
There are a ton of Bravada's in the Detroit market. I'm sure the higher mileage trucks are fractionally priced in relation to their sisters (TB and Envoys).
Yep and the Oldsmobile was a bit more upscale with all of their vehicles over their GM cohorts. If my Olds Minivan is any indication, and I think it is given the comments I have read, their quality control must have been spot on. 142,000 hard miles and I'm still waiting for something major to go wrong. I couldn't have a higher opinion of Oldsmobile vehicles given the reliability of mine is almost fictional at this point. If you can live with a defunct brand and if you can find one in good shape, they really are a steal.

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I don't see many Bravada's here in the Laurentians of Quebec, Canada but I do have neighbour who owns a nice looking white Envoy. He keeps it well maintained and its always clean. Hope to meet up with a Bravada owner on line to share some stories.

These SUV's are very impressive and it's been such a relief after owning a Land Rover for over 12 years. Those $1000 fluid changes were b--- busters (I think its now up to $1400). You don't know how good you have it until you start repairing a Land Rover off warranty!! The nightmares I could tell you...

Only problems I've had with the Bravada have been exhaust manifold bolts wearing out and perhaps wheel bearing problems. Local mechanic told me that the problem with manifold bolts cracking was common to our SUV's. True? As for bearing faults, I had to replace the left front bearing twice during the first year of purchase (under warranty). Not sure why LF but that last one seemed to be the best one. No problems since.

Anyone having trouble with the rear diff cover? Two nights back, I noticed some fluid spots in driveway, the rear diff cover was rusted and there had to be some micro holes.

Today, I removed the cover, sandblasted the rust off and found the small micro holes causing the leak. A friend repaired the holes (soldered) and I'm just finishing up with repainting the exterior and new gasket install (Ultra grey). Anyone have this sort of trouble?

Well, thanks for the kind welcome and I hope I both learn some new things and pass on some advice to other DIY'ers out there.

See you around the shop,

JohnMc
:tiphat

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Fellow Bravada Owner HERE !! <--------

:):):)Hey there I am a fellow Bravada owner I actually own 2 bravadas now as I purchased a 2002 Olds bravada in memphis,tn about 1 week ago and still have my 2003 that was purchased about 2 year ago the best advice I can give ya with your is KEEP IT ! these are honestly the best vehicles I have ever owned by far I have 202,000 miles on my 2003 model it is driven everyday and 5 days a week driven 100 miles round trip I wouldnt have it any other way I am very much in love with both of mine and got a great deal on the one I purchased recently its a 2002 with 136,000 miles and I gave 3,000 bucks for it and absolutley nothing wrong with it and the guy actually just had coleman taylor rebuild the transmission due to pouring brake fluid in the transmission case haha I am very happy with both of them and have had very minor problems with my 2003 mostly had 2 new manifold bolts broke and i got the old ones out and replaced them and had to replace the thermostat and clutch fan at 106,000 and a fuel pump at the same time (Figured it was about time for the pump as Gm is known for fuel pump failure and transmission issues at low mileage ) and thats IT havent done anything else to it other than change the oil about every 6k miles with good old castrol gtx conventional oil and flush the tranny every 60k miles with a new filter added ! Glad you joined the club and I dont have to say nothing I know you will enjoy that Bravada hopefully as well as I good luck !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.