Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Envoy Denali 4WD with a sunroof and the six disc in dash CD player (Blose Speakers). Everything is stock, and I bought this car new back in 2008.

About 10,000 miles ago (currently at 72,000), I started to get obnoxious alternator whine out of the driver's side dash speaker. The whine is similar to what others have posted about in this forum (although most had the problem in the passenger side rear speaker). At one point, the sound went away for about 5 months, but now it is back. These are the facts that I have:

1) I put a new battery in hoping to somehow help - nothing changed
2) I can tap/slap the rear audio controls/HU/seats, and nothing happens
3) The speaker at issue also plays the chimes, so when the whine is present, you hear it while the chimes are on even if the stereo is off.
4) A few times, the whine has stopped after opening and slamming the passenger rear door.
5) I took off the trim along the passenger rear door and taped up wires that weren't already covered with tape (didn't notice any problems); checked the ground on side post
6) I took the trim off of the passenger rear door and followed same process as number 5 (didn't notice any problems)
7) I have noticed that there is a small rattle in the door handle when slamming the passenger side rear door (doesn't make the noise on other doors, and the rattle is gone if you hold the door handle open and attempt to close the door)
8) I took the speaker out of the right rear door and checked it out - it looked fine.
9) While driving, as long as the volume is on a slight bit, you can hear a slight monotone high pitch squeal out of right rear passenger speaker. This is not alternator whine and stays constant regardless of the volume level (so you can drown it out).

I don't know how any of these facts relate together (if at all), but this issue is driving me crazy. I started out at the dealership, but it did me absolutely no good and would cost me a fortune to continue with them.

Also - get this - I took the car to the dealership to trade in for a used yukon denali, and they were trying to determine what my truck was worth. After 5 months of NEVER making the noise, the whine is louder than ever the second the sales manager starts up my vehicle. He was aware of that issue and wanted nothing to do with my truck. :bonk:

I appreciate any help anybody can give... I'm losing it over here!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
192 Posts
alt whine or any interference noise is usually not a problem with the speaker but more likely to be from the source unit or the amplifier. i would lean towards the amp. At my shop we almost always eliminate the bose systems when doing and audio upgrade.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. So do you think it is a coincidence that opening and closing the rear passenger door stops the whine while noting else does?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
192 Posts
it would make a differance if the speaker was grounding out but with it being all factory i highly doubt it. in the 20 years i have been installing i have never seen factory equipment or wiring short to ground unless it has been messed with.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
263 Posts
Thank you. So do you think it is a coincidence that opening and closing the rear passenger door stops the whine while noting else does?
CoachZ,

I know you said you took your vehicle to the dealership to be priced for a trade in, but did you have this issue diagnosed in the service department?

Evan, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Evan,
When I brought the vehicle in for the speaker issue, the dealer replaced a speaker. I complained that it didn't fix the issue, and they didn't charge me (my family buys a lot if cars from them - including this one). That said, my car is/was out if warranty, so future repairs were going to be on my dime. The service manager checked the bulletins, but didn't find anything directly on point. After that, I went to a car audio place that was puzzled, also. It is hard to diagnose because it might make the noise 5 times a day for carrying lengths, or not for a week or month.

For what it is worth, the yukon denali was at a non-GM dealership. By saying he was aware of the issue, I meant that he was aware of the alternator whine issue in these vehicle, and didn't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
28 Posts
almost positive the dome light/door ajar switch is inside the front of the door (where the metal rod slides in and out). try unplugging the switch and see if the problem is solved. otherwise possibly a pinched wire where the wires go down from the door post into the door. The door opening and closing and having the sound disappear seems like a bad connection in one of those areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts