Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time Ford driver that switched to a Trailblazer EXT (06 w/ 24K but out of warranty) for mileage and room. After 50 miles a whine or squeal started. It is progressive with engine speed. I am new to these engines and have been looked thru the relivant posts.

I played with the tensioner a and it seemed to get worse including down to 1000 RPM.
There are no cooling or charging issues nor any lights.
It is note a roar and doesn't seem to be coming from the fan clutch.
I checked the AC clutch. It does not change with AC on or off.
The sound seems to be more previlent at the tensioner and power steering pump (screwdriver to the ear).
There is no change or noise with steering pressure and the PS pump pulley spins pretty freely.
I swaped out the tensioner bearing (Gates), no change.
I then applied more tension to the tensioner and the noise stops. I tried swaping out the tensioer with a new Dayco with the same result. The belt does seem to have a lot of slack compared to other vehicles I've worked with. More than 3/4". The belt is a gates (K060905) which I believe is correct for the EXT.

I am thinking it could be a stretched or glazed belt. I have tried belt dressing. Next step is to try a new belt.

There is a dealer warrranty but it has a $100 deductable and the dealer is a ways away so I am just trying to fix it before I take it in. If it is the waterpump or the fan clutch I will take it in, it should be covered.

My hunch is still a belt issue. Bearing noises generally don't go away with more tension.

I have been following your forums for a while before buying. Though I'd throw this one out there as a last try. Any thoughts on these specific symptoms? Thanks

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I am a long time Ford driver that switched to a Trailblazer EXT (06 w/ 24K but out of warranty) for mileage and room. After 50 miles a whine or squeal started. It is progressive with engine speed. I am new to these engines and have been looked thru the relivant posts.

I played with the tensioner a and it seemed to get worse including down to 1000 RPM.
The sound seems to be more previlent at the tensioner and power steering pump (screwdriver to the ear).
There is no change or noise with steering pressure and the PS pump pulley spins pretty freely.
I then applied more tension to the tensioner and the noise stops. I tried swaping out the tensioer with a new Dayco with the same result. The belt does seem to have a lot of slack compared to other vehicles I've worked with. More than 3/4". The belt is a gates (K060905) which I believe is correct for the EXT.

I am thinking it could be a stretched or glazed belt. I have tried belt dressing. Next step is to try a new belt.

There is a dealer warrranty but it has a $100 deductable and the dealer is a ways away so I am just trying to fix it before I take it in. If it is the waterpump or the fan clutch I will take it in, it should be covered.

My hunch is still a belt issue. Bearing noises generally don't go away with more tension.

I have been following your forums for a while before buying. Though I'd throw this one out there as a last try. Any thoughts on these specific symptoms? Thanks
You are correct on the fan belt part number/size. I just replaced mine when I did the thermostat. I have an 05 EXT. Mine was making a "chirping" type sound when it was cold but it went away about 5 - 10 minutes after driving it.
Since replacing the fan belt I haven't heard a peep out of it. My belt was the OEM belt.

You might catch a little bit of ** for your Ford comment, but there are a few of us around here. This was my first GM vehicle in a lot of years - since the early 80's or so.
Currently I have 2 other Ford vehicles in my driveway and 1 Toyota. I always seem to be working on the Chevy! :(
Oh well - good to have this site - most of the people are great and very willing to help!

BTW - WELCOME TO TRAILVOY!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chevy/ford

I currently have 2 Chevys and 1 Ford. The Ford is up for retirement and I will be all Chevy as soon as I can get the TB 100%. So have mercy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made this exact repair (or pretty darn close) just about 6 hours ago. We bought our TB yesterday, and it has 50K on it. I noticed as I was driving home from the dealership the same whine you are describing. It almost sounds like a turbo spooling up.

I went to the auto parts store, and bought a 20.00 idler pulley. It took about 25 minutes to swap it out and its 110% gone, no whining at all!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat There is also the idler pulley.

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
268 Posts
I had the same symptoms,swapped out idler pulley,put on a new belt .... no change and the sounds origin is by the power steering pump, so that will be the next swap

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I had the same symptoms,swapped out idler pulley,put on a new belt .... no change and the sounds origin is by the power steering pump, so that will be the next swap
Did you check the tensioner pulley?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Hi, in your post, you said you changed the tensioner bearing and then you said you changed the tensioner. Same parts, or when you say tensioner bearing, do you mean idler pulley?

If not (the idler is under the alternator), the idler is a likely suspect.

If you have changed the idler pulley, I'd try the belt. It's not cheap, but keep the old one for a break-down spare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts