Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I just got through swapping out my transmission in my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT 4.6 4x4 Auto with 179k. Bought this new trans off Ebay from Detroit Axle. It came preloaded with a torque converter. It worked okay for a day or so and now I have nothing past 2nd gear. Full power through 1st and 2nd. D and Manually shifting is the same outcome. If my pump was bad, it wouldn't go anywhere, right? Its not leaking, fluid is good, no engine codes. When I do go into third or D, and let off the gas, I watch the RPMs and it moves as if its shifting through the other higher gears, but when you go to hit the gas it just revs, unless I manually shift it back into 2nd. I am pretty pissed I just spent all this time putting this thing in and now this.

I emailed the seller, of course no response yet.

Maybe solenoids? Anybody else run into this? the posts I seem to click on never seem to come to a conclusion, just other people asking for a resolution lol.

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Does the speedometer work? That's important.....
Might be a blown forward sprag..... but ...... your symptoms might be understandable with an old, many miles transmission - because then I'd say that the “3-4” clutches are worn out.

How did the old unit die?
  • Did you replace or 'clean out' the transmission cooler and lines?
  • Heat exchangers never really come clean no matter how good you clean it - replacement is the only way to guaranty a clean job.
  • You might have some metalled-up solenoids and metal shards in their rare earth magnets if you didn't get a fresh heat exchanger in the radiator (a new radiator is better though).
  • If yes to any of that - the EPC might be stuck and/or you've re-metalled out the new unit.
Either way - and if I'm right - pull it out and get another one. before they say you abused it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I flushed the cooler until it was fresh fluid through the entire system. The speedometer works.

The old one isn't fully dead, it just needs a rebuild because it was forcefully driven with a clogged catalytic converter for many months.
I cut the cat off which fixed my issue with it not going over 4500rpms.

The new one shifts into 3rd and drive, but doesn't go anywhere. If I am lucky, going downhill, I will manually shift it from 2nd to 3rd, I watch the Rpms go into 3rd. I'll coast then tap the gas slightly and it will lerch like it starts to go in 3rd but then just revs out like it's in neutral.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..... I'm leaning toward the busted sprag ................ but the builder might have nicked one of the piston seals on the 3/4 clutch pack. .

What did you find in the cooler and the lines when you cleaned/blew them out?

Was the original pan full of metal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts