Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we picked up an 03 Trailblazer LT 4x4 4.2L last night. In and out of a trusted dealership. Bought it in the dark after only a quick test drive. (You try buying a truck with an 8 and 5 yr old AND a 6 week old).

Needless to say, this afternoon I will be looking over my lightning fast choices. We bought to replace my lady's 2-door Sebring.

Would you all be so kind and list some things to look for. I am sure many will say "do searches" before posting this type of requests, but I am at work, and there are many posts here that go on, and on and on. I have read many rants and posts, and have begun a list.

Rear plate housing seals.
water leaking onto motor, coil packs.
wobbling fan propellors
belts, pulleys, etc.
radio button finish
noises at 5K RPM & 55 mph
and so on...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
Rear plate housing seals- you may be able to leave the one thats on there- in the meantime- use clear silicone to make your own seal- thats what Im doing. I have the pewter paint- so you cant really see the clear silicone.
water leaking onto motor, coil packs- check the seal on the rear of the hood/firewall.
wobbling fan propellors- as long as its not the water pump shaft thats causing the wobble...
belts, pulleys, etc.- belt very easy to change and is about $30. pulley- usually the idler pulley also about $20 and easy to change.
radio button finish- use a sharpie to color in the paint thats fallen off.
noises at 5K RPM & 55 mph--- Ummm not sure on what kind of noises.

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
My only advice would be to change out all of the fluids; front and rear diff, transfer case, oil and tranny. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
So we picked up an 03 Trailblazer LT 4x4 4.2L last night. In and out of a trusted dealership. Bought it in the dark after only a quick test drive. (You try buying a truck with an 8 and 5 yr old AND a 6 week old).

Needless to say, this afternoon I will be looking over my lightning fast choices. We bought to replace my lady's 2-door Sebring.

Would you all be so kind and list some things to look for. I am sure many will say "do searches" before posting this type of requests, but I am at work, and there are many posts here that go on, and on and on. I have read many rants and posts, and have begun a list.

Rear plate housing seals.
water leaking onto motor, coil packs.
wobbling fan propellors
belts, pulleys, etc.
radio button finish
and so on...

Thanks!
First - WELCOME TO TRAILVOY!

Second - I totally hear you about buying a car with the kids. I did that once, would never do it again. But I understand that sometimes it can't be helped.

I agree with George - I don't think you mentioned the mileage but I would change the fluids, all of them. Oil of course, tranny fluid, axles, and maybe even antifreeze. Unless you have good evidence that they were recently replaced.

These are nice vehicles to drive. It's weird how some are relatively trouble free, others have lots of trouble.

Here's hoping yours is trouble free, and best wishes!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
If you do your own fluid changes, check to see if the grease from the cv joints has been slung around the underside. The clamps come a bit loose, and the boots lose the grease without a tear in them. See if the front driverside axle seal is leaking as well. Other than that, enjoy your new ride, and just pay attention when it trys to tell you something!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The TB had 46,xxx miles on it. WE are up to 51,xxx miles now. The things I have noticed are:

The belts. The truck sounds like a whiney rice burner upon start up and continues to do so until it's good and hot.

The brakes. Man this thing nose dives when we slam them. Must be a combo with the front struts/shocks as it plowed at 90 MPH. Rear brakes locked up in a minute and I was sliding like the NAPA 55 across the travel lane.

The struts. Feels like granny's ride in the front.

The radio. For the longest time, the "right" side was only providing high range signal through the speakers. Until I turned on the AM yesterday and received a full range. Now it all works fine, for the moment.

Seems like a lot, but coming from the turd we replaced, it's nothing major.

Thanks for your input all.

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
please tell me you found this as a quote somewhere, hopefully not here on TrailVoy.....at 5k RPM you should be doing about max on your speedo....65 mph is around 2k RPM

Otherwise its your engine almost blowing up at that RPM

Welcome to TrailVoy!!! Enjoy your Ride!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts