Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys let me start off by saying I am a "newb" when it comes to car audio.

The most experience that I have with car audio is installing a car deck which I got a lot of help from you guys.

A few days ago I picked up a MTX amp: MTX Thunder TC2002 it is rated at 200rms. (Futureshop) It also came with a free wiring kit: Stinger SWKH8RS.

Today I went back to Futureshop to pick up a sub. I was looking at the Energy 10" ENC10 sub rated for 200rms going for $80. I asked the guy if he had them in stock and he said garbage. I was like huh. He said that it was Energys first attempt at car subs and that many people were returning them to the store.

He suggested the MTX X Thunder 10" Hi-Output Woofer (XT1004) which goes for $70 or the MTX X Thunder 12" Hi-Output Woofer (XT12-04) that goes for $100.

I said that it was a tough choice. He said that he could hook up the 12" for the same price as the Energys. So I said sure. Got them for $80.

So I drove the road and picked up a 12" enclosure.

My list:

MTX - TC2002 Amp: $130
Stinger Amp kit: free
12" enlcosure: $50
12" woofer: $80

Total price: $293.75

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
wat type of enclosure did yu get?
sealed, ported (with a vent), bandpass (vents and plexiglass)

dont expect huge bass but thatll be a nice little mirror rattle, its all in the enclosure...are ur door speakers stil stock too?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on installing this system by myself.

Now here are the newbie questions:

I was reading the amp manual and its suggests that I use a 4 gauge wire kit but the free kit that I got is a 8 gauge kit, would the 8 gauge kit be sufficient?

How would you connect the HU to the amp. In this kit there is a stereo audio interconnect wire with two plugs red and black. But on the back of my HU there is red and white and on the amp it is red and white. Would this black and red cable be ok?

tried to upload 4 pics but it failed.

What gauge wire should I use to connect the sub to the amp?

I am going to take a stab at it in the next few days.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sealed enclosure and stock door speakers.

I chose a small set-up cause I use the space a lot.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
I plan on installing this system by myself.

Now here are the newbie questions:

I was reading the amp manual and its suggests that I use a 4 gauge wire kit but the free kit that I got is a 8 gauge kit, would the 8 gauge kit be sufficient?

How would you connect the HU to the amp. In this kit there is a stereo audio interconnect wire with two plugs red and black. But on the back of my HU there is red and white and on the amp it is red and white. Would this black and red cable be ok?

tried to upload 4 pics but it failed.

What gauge wire should I use to connect the sub to the amp?

I am going to take a stab at it in the next few days.
8aug wire will work well for yur setup...with that little amount of power yu can tap right into the fuse box under the rearseat without any problems

12-16gauge speaker wire will work fine for your setup

sealed enclosure and stock door speakers.

I chose a small set-up cause I use the space a lot.
yup yup completely understandable...yull still get nice low end and it will level out your interior sound nicely :thumbsup:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
red and black kinds of looks like this but the plugs are like what u would see on a dvd player

pics justs keeps on failing.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was reading the article: http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=39

In this step:

Connect your control system wire (usually blue) to the fuse shown below. This fuse will turn your amp on ONLY when your car is on. You can install an ON/Off switch in this wire to control your amp (optional) UPDATE: If this fuse does not work, use the rear wiper fuse instead.

How do u put the wire in. I am thinking that u strip the end, place the wire in there. Then push the fuse over the wire into place?

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Here is pic taken with my phone srry for quality.
Those are commonly referred to as RCA cables

One end will go to the one of the ouputs* on the back of the pioneer, the other to the amp inputs

*you didnt state the model number of your head unit in your profile so i dont know if it has a dedicated sub preout or not

As far as the amp turn on, one of the wires in the pioneer wire harness is a turn on lead, again without the model number i dont know which one

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are commonly referred to as RCA cables

One end will go to the one of the ouputs* on the back of the pioneer, the other to the amp inputs

*you didnt state the model number of your head unit in your profile so i dont know if it has a dedicated sub preout or not

As far as the amp turn on, one of the wires in the pioneer wire harness is a turn on lead, again without the model number i dont know which one
So red to red and black to white, i dont know if that makes sense

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just still trying to figure out amp on wire

Like I said before strip wire, place in slot and push fuse over it?

This is the only thing bothering me for now.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was gonna post that this morning but I could not post for some reason.

I looked at GMRC01 install instructions and noticed that.

I also mentioned this in my other thread when I was installing my HU.

I grabbed some 12 gauge speaker wire this morning.

I think I have figured everything out for now.

Tomorrow I am going to do a rough install/test to see if everything works accordingly. (not gonna mount amp, leave dash open, no soldering, leave wires all over the place, etc.)

:thx

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Started to install today.

I started off, hooked up all connections. Hooked up battery, nothing. I looked at the wire harness and noticed that I connected the amp on to the blue/white wire off the GMRC01 harness.

So, I reattached the amp on wire to the blue wire off the HU harness. Checked everything over. Hooked up battery bang. It worked!!

Disconnected battery. Ran wires under door sills, cleaned it up a bit. I went inside and noticed that it was 11:45, I had to get crackin cause class started at 12:40.

I cleaned up, hooked up battery, backed out of garage, and noticed that the HU was not working. I was like sh*t, couldn't get it done cause now it was 12:00 and I had to head out.

Got home around 3:30. Took out HU checked the connections and sure enough the harness that goes into the back of the HU was loose. Fixed that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everyting is hooked up and working, but I still have some work to do.

Gotta:

Cut off excess lenght of wires, mount amp, tune amp, connect stock speakers to amp, attach remote gain wire.

I will get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Upload of file failed.

This keeps hapenning, pics were taken with my digital camera.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts