Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a question? My Trailblazer 2005 V-6 has worn 16 inch tires and in the need of new ones. Will the 2005 Trailblazer handle 17 inch tires? And what is the best tire for towing a camper? Maybe a Michelin tire? I want the best and highest millage rating, something like 70 or 80 thousand miles. Thanks. :tiphat

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
You will have a hard time getting the 17" tires to fit those 16" rims...
Be sure to take pics of that Mod!

Good luck getting that many miles out of any tire..

Are you sure you have a V6?
Go pop the hood and tell us how many spark plug
wires are on each side of the motor..

If i were you, i would be looking for a special on some
BFG all terrains.
Nice smooth ride for towing.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Markmak I have a six cylinder with coil packs, not spark plug wires. I guess it would be a v6. :undecided I understand that they made the trailblazer in a eight cylinder as well. I wish I had the eight cylinder, better for towing a camper then a six. :thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Markmak I have a six cylinder with coil packs, not spark plug wires. I guess it would be a v6. :undecided I understand that they made the trailblazer in a eight cylinder as well. I wish I had the eight cylinder, better for towing a camper then a six. :thx
He was referring to the fact that you have an I6 engine (in line 6) NOT a V6.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
FWIW, my EXT has 17" wheels and tires. I think maybe the newer models (2006 and later) with the short wheel base had 17" wheels.

As for tires, I think you can't go wrong with Michelin. I used to be a big fan of Goodyear, but the last few sets I've bought haven't lasted or performed that well, including a set on my EXT.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
I highly recommend going to an LT tire if you want it for towing. Stiffer sidewalls, better able to handle weight, etc. Suburbans come with "P" rated tires. Supposedly for a better ride. I've owned 3 'Burbs and changed out the tires to LTs on every one of them. They rode and handled much better, not to mention gave a greatly improved towing experience.

I have one of the "weird" sizes that come on TVs, 245/65-17. I say weird because you cannot buy an LT tire in this size if your life depended on it. Looks cool, but not as good for towing. If you go to a 17in wheel, make sure you can get an LT tire in the size you are looking for.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
480 Posts
My first tb was a2005. Drove it 200 miles, took off the junk 235/75/16 Goodyear tires and put on 255/70/16 Michlen LTX M+S. It was like a different truck! Much better! Sold the truck to my Daughter and her husband and bought an 07. The 2005 now has 51000 miles and the tires still look good. You might pay more but I think that it's worth it. By the way both trucks are used for towing. Jay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:Yes I agree with you. I went on line and priced the Michlen LTX M+S. Its been a number of years sench I bought news tires. I,m suffering from sticker shock $760.00, only for the tires. :crazy:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,251 Posts
Did you have to reprogram in order to keep the speedo and odo accurate?
Nope, but the difference isn't noticeable at all, I think it's only slower by 4km or so which to you guys would be 2.49mph. I always keep up with the flow of traffic anyways. As for the odo, I wouldn't think this would cause a problem for reading, but I wouldn't know the answer to that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.