Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I recently purchased a 02 TB LTZ for the wife. It was one of those deals you can't pass up, and it seems to be a pretty good vehicle so far.

I do have a couple of questions, that I am sure you guys may send links, or so me other places on the site with answers to these questions.

First question.

The truck has a Invision DVD system in the headrests, with a dvd player on the floor. When doing research, this is an item installed by the dealer, and they only sell to dealers. My passenger screen was undone, and finally a auto electronics shop got it loose to plug in, all works, ok. But now the driver side seems to be loosing it's connection. Is this normal for these systems, coming unplugged, or is it just a fluke thing.

Second Question.

On the first inital times I drove the vehicle it seemed to float a lot and be thrown around on the road. Making me think the shocks needed to be replaced. ( I am used to an 07 silverado, or my 94 dodge ram 2500 diesel both 4x4's) I know those trucks don't get thrown around as much, but this extra float feeling has me wondering. Now, after driving this thing for a couple of days it all seems normal. Is this normal?? Or should I dig into the shock / struck / suspension type deal. I do know that this vehicle has regular shocks in the rear, no air bags.

Third question (and final)

Fuel mileage, around 15-20 is that what i should expect??

That's about it, I do thank you in advance for your advice. This is my first TB, I have owned s-10's before both blazer and pickup, but first time for TB.

Thanks
Rob

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
771 Posts
Welcome to the site

Read up in the 02-08 Suspension forum. If the shock haven't been changed before now would be the time, also there is a "beefier" aftermarket rear sway bar, you can also change the sway bar end links also the sway bars bushings front and back can be changed to eliminate that floating feeling.

Goodluck.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat If you fill out your User CP we'll be able to help more. That mileage is about right.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
Can only help on the mileage, since I don't have/haven't experienced the others. Just checked my mileage after about a 300 mile mixed highway/city trip and got right at 18mpg. Not bad for a truck of this weight and had some weight in it most of that time (Christmas gifts and luggage, my son's catchers bag).

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
218 Posts
Tragically, the Float and "Loose" feeling you describe is completely normal for these trucks. I'm at 98k miles on my 2004, and it floats like a fat guy in the Dead Sea. You get used to it, and almost appreciate it on long interstate cruises, but the whole doorhandles-scraping-pavement act really sucks when you go to turn. I've looked into fixing it, and if my memory serves me correctly, you (we) need shocks, swaybar endlinks (that rattling sound you probably hear over coarse pavement?), polymer bushings, and maybe a stiffer rear sway-bar to get a relatively normal feeling suspension. I would have done it already, but I'm modded out for a few months until I finally get this thing paid off. And 15-20 mpg is probably about normal. You may see less in the city if you drive aggressively, and more on the highway depending on where you are and how easily you drive. And welcome to the sight! There's Tons of interesting stuff to find around here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. And yes I did get to drive it (pried it away from the wife for a couple of days during the holiday's) and I must admit, I got used to the "floating" feeling.

After reading some of the threads, I think that in the future I will go with the avalance shocks, it seems to be what everyone loves the most. I will have to price things, as my toy is one of those dodge diesels:D that I must say I am addicted to, and there is a list of things thats setup already for this spring.

But needless to say, saftey is first, if anything is wrong with that TB it's gonna get it, wife and baby are cruising around in that.

Again, thanks for all the input, I check this site everyday just like my diesel site :) (my wife tells me it's another addiction)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
wouldnt the wife and baby prefer the soft floaty feel?
expecially the baby?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wife loves it, she did notice on day one, but after that it became normal and she dosen't say anything about it anymore. The baby on the other hand is more concerned with the "tv's" in the headrest, and when she gets in one of my trucks (no "tv's" she constantly asks me where they are)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts